Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Don't mobs already spawn in packs? When I'm in an open area (desert or plains) where I can see mobs spawn ahead of me, they tend to do so in small clusters of three or more, sometimes up to 10 or 15 in a relatively small area.
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
coolio678

Post by coolio678 »

AngelWithDirtyHands wrote:Don't mobs already spawn in packs? When I'm in an open area (desert or plains) where I can see mobs spawn ahead of me, they tend to do so in small clusters of three or more, sometimes up to 10 or 15 in a relatively small area.
they spawn in packs, but then they just kind of wander about wherever. This meant you could snipe them one at a time, without any others aggroing.
0 days without accident
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dinnerbone tweet:
Have spent the last two weeks almost entirely on lighting issues. We can solve the lighting bugs, it just costs too much speed... :(
Seriously? I feel a face-palm coming on.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

What's interesting is that pre beta 1.6, there were practically no lighting errors, and the game has actually slowed down since then. *pounds face with waffle iron*
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

From all that I have noticed in their updates as well as what the BTW community had to say about them, I can't help but to feel that mojang is starting to design for the adventure maps. (I am in no way disregarding the newbie designer issue.) They need to be reminded that adventure maps are byproducts of the original game (Survival) and don't need any looking after or special features. Then again I could be off about this.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

They have explicitly stated that they are designing for those, which is disappointment, since they have so many extraneous things they support, that they don't know who is playing what, so they can't balance things (not that they do). This is the reason FC does not make things optional, since he would not know how to design features, and would bring developement to a halt.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

dawnraider wrote:They have explicitly stated that they are designing for those, which is disappointment, since they have so many extraneous things they support, that they don't know who is playing what, so they can't balance things (not that they do). This is the reason FC does not make things optional, since he would not know how to design features, and would bring developement to a halt.
What a shame it is to see them "sell out" like this and try to juggle so many different groups at once. If people can make one time use binary adders out of sand than those who produce maps can work their way with the game to get the desired results. Anyways I'm going to stop here before the rant meter reaches another notch on the scale.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

dawnraider wrote:They have explicitly stated that they are designing for those, which is disappointment, since they have so many extraneous things they support, that they don't know who is playing what, so they can't balance things (not that they do). This is the reason FC does not make things optional, since he would not know how to design features, and would bring developement to a halt.
Special modes have to be designed around the game, not vice versa.

It reminds me on Worms Armageddon where Gamers developed multiple modes to play in Multiplayer with the things the game has built in, or Starcraft I.

So why develope a game in a direction only to make a small percent happy
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Somehow related :
Minecraft History in a map :
/!\ Huge pic /!\
Spoiler
Show
This pic helped me to remember when I played MC for the very first time. January 2011, just before beds and repeaters :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Going by that chart, I started right before you Batto, October 2010. I remember first joining the forums and people still trying to figure out what the halloween update did. I initially played on a cracked version, because my credit card had expired and I had to wait. I remember the day I actually bought MC. 22nd of December, as that was the day the price went up and my credit card arrived one day late to get it cheaper. It also means I missed out on having an alpha account by one day.
Battosay wrote:Somehow related :
Minecraft History in a map :
/!\ Huge pic /!\
Spoiler
Show
This pic helped me to remember when I played MC for the very first time. January 2011, just before beds and repeaters :)
The very first part is incorrect. Minecraft was started before Notch played Infiniminer for the first time.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/10/the-m ... necraft/2/
"It was going to be Dwarf Fortress, basically, but in a Rollercoaster Tycoon type engine. Real 3D but with a fixed isometric camera. I’m a big fan of Dungeon Keeper, so I thought I’d do some kind of ‘possess spell’ where you could actually look at your constructions in first person – it wasn’t meant to be the way to play it. I added that and everything got really blurry because the textures were low-res. I thought: I won’t have this mode because it’s too ugly. And then I saw Infiniminer, which is basically just blocks with huge pixels instead of filled textures. I thought, oh I can just do that – and then it basically turned into the same game."
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

Almost two and a half years, huh? Can't believe it has been that long.
I started a week or so before redstone was introduced in a secret friday update. I still vividly remember getting lost on my first map, rage-quitting and starting over. Not a day later compasses were introduced, which would probably have helped immensely :p

Looking back, it really is a shame I have a strong tendency of starting completely over from scratch on a fairly regular basis. Whenever I see bits and pieces of FC's world I can only feel a tad jealous and wonder what my own world could have looked like... Although I doubt that would have world as well for me as it did for him, as I like to experiment with mods quite a bit.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I remember playing back on the free classic servers pre-alpha. Me and my friends ran a server with the infinite water flood. Does anyone remember the lava flood servers people set up? Those were really cool. I remember for a long time in multiplayer you just couldn't use minecarts, and furnances were completely broken. Hilarious.

I remember discovering there was an actual game there and watching my first video that showed the crafting system and thinking I had to get this.

I'm still looking forward to some eventual point where having an alpha account will matter :D.
Six

Post by Six »

Wow, multiplayer came back in June 2009? I remember playing on a server back then, when the game was pretty much creative without flying. But the lack of 'game' elements didn't stop us from playing, as we had pretty much every 'game' you could think of made in blocks, like checkers, chess, chinese checkers, minesweeper and even a pretty cool version of battleships. "sponge-grassblock?" "Hit!!".

It's amazing how people will find a way to play and have fun.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I remember the exact date I started playing; It was January 31st, and so right before 1.3 came out. I still remember beds coming out, and thinking that I would never use them. How wrong was I...
I'm glad that BTW added Hardcore Bedding, because I now remember how that felt :)
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Six wrote:Wow, multiplayer came back in June 2009? I remember playing on a server back then, when the game was pretty much creative without flying.
Ah, you have to get worldofminecraft.com custom client for flying. But yeah, good times, good times, I think I started playing August/September 2009.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

Well I feel ancient May 2009 (just before the forums opened) for me. So many fun updates(i can remember most of them clearly <1.8), however seeing that image also slightly saddens me, since you can see where it started to go wrong
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/304215497447186432
Jeb wrote:I'm leaning towards doing something radical on MC: Changing health from 20 to 20.0 and reducing randomness of damage. But first, #mojam
I'm not sure I get what he means by reducing randomness of damage. It's not random is it?
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

SterlingRed wrote:I'm not sure I get what he means by reducing randomness of damage. It's not random is it?
Swords and Fists have a set damage value but enchantments don't, they vary. Some mobs also vary (skeletons come to mind) and I *THINK* feather falling fall damage reduction varies even when falling from the same height.

I'm not sure about the change. Surely a little variation can spice up combat a little? Say you're playing on hard and have 3 hearts left with a skeleton chasing you... at face value you have a 2/3 chance of surviving not including the chance to completely miss you altogether :)
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

I think what you can compare this to is your health going from 20 to 200 (written as 20.0f for readability) and mob damage goes from 2 to 20 (or 2.0f). Allowing for more precise damage tweaks.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Jens BergenstenVerified account ‏@jeb_

@bmann_2 There will be new mobs in 1.6, but not 1.5
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/304301377818066944
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:

My bet is on mice. You know, 1 heart and no use at all, found in caves...

More seriously, new mobs possibly means new automations to achieve (thx to BTW) if they have special mechanics. So it could be good news... or very bad ones.

Sadly, we all know where from the wind breathes...
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

What are bats.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a quick question:

Anyone hear anything about when 1.5 is actually going to be released?

If I remember correctly, the last statement I heard was January or February. We're obviously rapidly going towards the end of the latter, and I'm a little worried they might throw an update at me right around the time I'm hoping to switch over to RTH.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Gormador wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:

My bet is on mice. You know, 1 heart and no use at all, found in caves...

More seriously, new mobs possibly means new automations to achieve (thx to BTW) if they have special mechanics. So it could be good news... or very bad ones.

Sadly, we all know where from the wind breathes...
I think you will be right about Mice.

Mojang: Hey, we introduced Mice! This cute mob will run around, and eat your crops.
People: Why?
Mojang: Well, we wanted to introduce a new mechanic with Cats. Cats eat mice. Now you are going to need to have cats around to keep the mice away from your fields.
Mojang: It will be a new challenge to managing crops. The mice will spawn anywhere and devour your crops of wheat.
People: But Why?
Mojang: Cloud Services.
Spoiler
Show
Explains the "Cloud Services" reference. This is a clear demonstration on how the Chewbacca Defence strategy is used in real life.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

finite8 wrote:I think you will be right about Mice.

Mojang: Hey, we introduced Mice! This cute mob will run around, and eat your crops.
Mojang: Well, we wanted to introduce a new mechanic with Cats. Cats eat mice. Now you are going to need to have cats around to keep the mice away from your fields.
Mojang: It will be a new challenge to managing crops. The mice will spawn anywhere and devour your crops of wheat.
People: But Why?
Mojang: Cloud Services.
Someone coding the "Exterminator" mod yet?