Minecart unloader

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Deli_SK

Minecart unloader

Post by Deli_SK »

Hi guys.

I've recently added this to "Show us your builds" but now I've finally managed to capture it on video, so I'm posting it as stand-alone topic.

I found a really simple way to dump content from minecart with chest, using just turntables, one BD and wihout complicated redstone circuitry.
It also can have loaded multiple minecarts (as shown on video).
I think it is easily reproducable just from the video, but if it is needed, I can record a "how-to".
You need only two turntables, one with BD on top of it, and the second with RS torches. If you can link them so whenever BD is facing your unloader it "munches" and whenewer facing oposite it place carts, you are practically done.

Here it is:

PS: Sorry for my bad english. And if it is here already (I couldn't found it) feel free to lock or remove it :)
FlowerChild wrote:Heck, it's *expected* of me too, I just have a unique ability to not give a fuck ;)
dawnraider

Re: Minecart unloader

Post by dawnraider »

That is awesome! All the other catchers I've tried end up being giant monsters, but this is genius. Nice job!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, that's brilliant. Very well done man.

This is the kind of discovery that makes me reluctant to put in additional features to make such things easier :)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

That is incredibly elegant. Your use of the turntable and block dispenser is very impressive.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

*Slow clap*

I'm thoroughly impressed, never thought to use block dispensers on turntables as a solution to the issue of moving carts.

My own design was definitely more resource intensive, good job on this man :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I came up with this some weeks ago, around the time I created my tree farm thread, although I was using rails to bring the cart all the way to the BD, and was having problems with item dumping. I will say that it is possible to use the same turntable for both the redstone and the BD, from personal experience, so I'm sure you can do it yourself too :)

Somebody used a similar design some time ago to move clay around, in a pottery machine. It also used the BD on turntable method.
ion

Post by ion »

damn great job!
Deli_SK

Post by Deli_SK »

Thank you all...

I'm glad, that I contribute with at least something to this really great community.
FlowerChild wrote:Heck, it's *expected* of me too, I just have a unique ability to not give a fuck ;)
ImSheroPsu

Post by ImSheroPsu »

This thing is F'n brilliant. I have been trying like hell to figure something like this out.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
ManPotatoes wrote:
If you hate it ban me I could care less C:

Bonus.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Great design man! I had the same idea with the BD on a turntable. Unfortunately I'm trying to make mine waterless and well ... :/
Also a design I frequently use for stream splitters uses a vanilla dispenser on top of a block with a torch on the side on a turntable. You can control how many streams you want by setting some redstone to reverse the direction every other turn. Configurable to 2 or 4 perfectly equal streams :)
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

I wub you for this! Nice work!
Bio_Logisch

Post by Bio_Logisch »

Hi i like to share my waterless minecart unloader. It is a 100% reliable no items lost.

Warning really large images.
Spoiler
Show
coolio678

Post by coolio678 »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:Great design man! I had the same idea with the BD on a turntable. Unfortunately I'm trying to make mine waterless and well ... :/
Also a design I frequently use for stream splitters uses a vanilla dispenser on top of a block with a torch on the side on a turntable. You can control how many streams you want by setting some redstone to reverse the direction every other turn. Configurable to 2 or 4 perfectly equal streams :)
making it waterless is easy, you just need to have the cart to be sucked up directly on a hopper, with walls around it to prevent items from spewing everywhere.
0 days without accident
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Making a cart unloader in the first place is difficult, making one without mechanical power or without water is coming close to what I believe are the most difficult automation jobs in the game for whatever merits they might hold.

Edit: On that note, now knowing that it is possible I'm going to take another stab at compacting my design.
Last edited by BlackCat on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

coolio678 wrote:
TheGatesofLogic wrote:Great design man! I had the same idea with the BD on a turntable. Unfortunately I'm trying to make mine waterless and well ... :/
making it waterless is easy, you just need to have the cart to be sucked up directly on a hopper, with walls around it to prevent items from spewing everywhere.
Having actually made a waterless design, it's a little more complex than that: Items that fly out of the minecart when broken will fly through any walls to the along the southeast so you'll have to design for that.

Anyways, This design is brilliant. Simple as it is, I hadn't imagined using two turntables for the controls. I'll be ripping out the wiring in my old clunker and testing the replacement circuits immediately.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Took a stab at it and this is what I've come up with http://youtu.be/l2Yp_l3RCuU (just a short 25 second demo of it in action)

Long winded explanation as to what I did
Spoiler
Show
basically what happens in this (and bear with me here) you have a detector rail which initially triggers the block dispenser to suck up the cart, then the signal from the rail is sent to a falling edge detector with 4 ticks of delay on its output at which point the first set of sticky pistons will push the drops in line with the hopper, and the signal continues from there on a delay to the third sticky piston which pushes the rest of the drops, sending a signal to a block dispenser which will put out a torch and cause the cart to be dispensed which tells the bottom left sticky pistons to retract the floor sending the cart to another detector rail which then sends signal to the block dispenser again turning the sticky pistons back on and completing the system
And the minecart glitches are directional as well? *sigh*

Well I suppose that's good to know :\

tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

That would explain the seemingly random explosions of items through walls...any chance you can put that up for download Blackcat?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Yeah sure when I get home I can put it up.

Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

You are a god-damned genius. However, what percentage of the materials fall on top of the BD?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Home now find the world here, http://www.mediafire.com/?pd45p1pq9ntlgpx
Yhetti wrote:You are a god-damned genius. However, what percentage of the materials fall on top of the BD?
In this video? 0%

Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

BlackCat wrote:Home now find the world here, http://www.mediafire.com/?pd45p1pq9ntlgpx
Yhetti wrote:You are a god-damned genius. However, what percentage of the materials fall on top of the BD?
In this video? 0%
I've tried it a few different ways, I think if you do it exactly like he did it, it all turns out right. I was actually pondering about doing something like this for an auto-kiln. It's a pretty awesome build.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Just did an actual video on my refined design :)

Six

Post by Six »

So taking advantage of some of the mechanics of how items pop out of blocks, I reduced the waterless unloader to 6x5x5, and pretty sure with a bit more playing can make it even smaller:
Spoiler
Show
Plus the actual wiring at the heart of it is only really 4x4x4, the rest being walls to get the items into the hopper.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I shall not be subdued by your shenanigans, I also made a 6x5x5
Spoiler
Show

tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

My question is with the drop rules, are you sure these designs work no matter which way they are facing?