Blight [SPOILERS - No Cheats]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Yhetti

Blight [SPOILERS - No Cheats]

Post by Yhetti »

This is my first post! Just saying, I love this mod.

Anyways, I've been playing this mod a while, and today on my server, I took a visit to my soul-forged steel beacon and I noticed that there was this weird puke-green stuff growing on the grass. I picked it up with with the block dispenser and it said "Blight." I looked it up and it's not a feature of vanilla Minecraft, and it isn't anywhere on the Better than Wolves Wiki or Forum. I am on BTW 5.54.
I understand it is a plant disease of some sort but:
What is it?
What can it be used for?
And when was it implemented?

Edit: this is what it looks like:
Spoiler
Show
Edit: this is before it grew:
Spoiler
Show
Edit: IT GOT DARKER
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Yhetti on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Katalliaan

Re: Blight

Post by Katalliaan »

As it's not in either the vMC wiki nor the BTW wiki, chances are good that it's part of the alternate recipe for nether groth. I highly recommend placing a "potential spoiler" warning on the topic so that those who are looking to find it for themselves don't open the thread out of curiousity.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

O_O

Uhh, if this is what I think it is then, well damn. How close was it to your beacon?
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Would you mind telling me more?

How big of a soul-forged steel beacon was it?
What boime are you in?

Shh guys no telling..
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Syruse wrote:O_O

Uhh, if this is what I think it is then, well damn. How close was it to your beacon?
We only have a first tier beacon. It was on the ground next to it.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

nmarshall23 wrote:Would you mind telling me more?

How big of a soul-forged steel beacon was it?
What boime are you in?

Shh guys no telling..
First Tier, plains biome.
Padfoote

Re: Blight [POTENTIAL SPOILER]

Post by Padfoote »

Have you tried using the block in any recipes, or tried to see if a single block will spread?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Padfoote wrote:Have you tried using the block in any recipes, or tried to see if a single block will spread?
Yeah I was watching it spread while I was taking down the beacon to move it. I got rid of all except one block, which I harvested. I guess it spreads kinda fast. It didn't do any damage or anything though.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Yhetti wrote: We only have a first tier beacon. It was on the ground next to it.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm off to do more testing again.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Yhetti wrote: Yeah I was watching it spread while I was taking down the beacon to move it. I got rid of all except one block, which I harvested. I guess it spreads kinda fast. It didn't do any damage or anything though.
That's very interesting... Guess it's time to mass produce steel and see what this is.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Potential spoiler? No...no...huge spoiler :)

Also, can you please spoiler tag your screenshots? They're rather obnoxious as is.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Does that spread without the beacon? Or does it only seem to spread with the beacon?

Also, thank you for the pictures; There's no way I would be able to get a beacon running soon enough to see it.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Padfoote wrote:Does that spread without the beacon? Or does it only seem to spread with the beacon?

Also, thank you for the pictures; There's no way I would be able to get a beacon running soon enough to see it.
I was gonna try and figure that out. I've had the beacon for a while so I don't know how long it will take, and as I said I moved the beacon. So I will just put steel in the same spot and see what happens
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Yhetti wrote: I was gonna try and figure that out. I've had the beacon for a while so I don't know how long it will take, and as I said I moved the beacon. So I will just put steel in the same spot and see what happens
I wish you luck in your testing then, and I wish I could be of more help by testing with a beacon of my own.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Blight [SPOILERS - No Cheats]

Post by FlowerChild »

Remember guys: as with other threads of this nature, no cheats please.

If you have information about this feature that was gained through means other than legit survival play (including consulting data files), keep it to yourself and don't spoil the fun of others.
Psion

Post by Psion »

WOW, I wasn't expecting that. Um, lets see, there's a type of disease called fireblight which affects some trees... it's a type of bacteria, and causes leaves to shrivel up, with the end result of branches looking like they were struck by fire. However, there's many types of blights, and one of them (that affects grass) is leaf blight... which is a type of fungus.

Perhaps it really is an ingredient to making mycelium if this is the case. I'm also curious as to the behavior of it... Have you tried growing plants in blighted ground? Perhaps it will cause them to wither up, or become infected themselves, or simply not grow? o-O
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Psion wrote:WOW, I wasn't expecting that. Um, lets see, there's a type of disease called fireblight which affects some trees... it's a type of bacteria, and causes leaves to shrivel up, with the end result of branches looking like they were struck by fire. However, there's many types of blights, and one of them (that affects grass) is leaf blight... which is a type of fungus.

Perhaps it really is an ingredient to making mycelium if this is the case. I'm also curious as to the behavior of it... Have you tried growing plants in blighted ground? Perhaps it will cause them to wither up, or become infected themselves, or simply not grow? o-O
No, but I have tried to replace the Mycelium used in Groth with blight, it doesn't work.
I'll try the plants. By the way FC, no cheating was ever used on the map. [Except in one instance where my friend encountered a bug and I fixed it.]
ImSheroPsu

Post by ImSheroPsu »

I'm no where near building a SFS beacon but being an avid RL gardener. If something is called blight. Assume it will wreak havoc on the ecosystem. I would be highly cautious with it.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
ManPotatoes wrote:
If you hate it ban me I could care less C:

Bonus.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

So, let the games begin :P

I might be able to start an SFS beacon on the server I play on soon. I will be taking extra precautions...
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

ImSheroPsu wrote:I'm no where near building a SFS beacon but being an avid RL gardener. If something is called blight. Assume it will wreak havoc on the ecosystem. I would be highly cautious with it.
Yeah, I isolated it.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Hi guys, Did some rather intesive testing before, and here are my results.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mikko...if I remember correctly, by your own admission you consulted the data files in discovering the above.

Don't post about it please.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

For fuck sake guys...thread locked, posts deleted.

Since you can't play nice, I'll be deleting any thread from now on that pops up on this subject. Not cool.