Cthulhu Statue tips

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
JakeZKAM

Cthulhu Statue tips

Post by JakeZKAM »

So in my world I'm currently working on an underwater base next to a very small island in the middle of a huge ocean. I'm playing it out as a Cthulhu Cultist, trying to raise enough materials to build a temple/base worthy of the great Cthulhu, and to eventually recreate his form into a great and powerful blocky version. needless to say this is going to take me awhile so in the meantime I'm working up the tech tier, and building the beginnings of my temple but I've run into a problem, I kinda suck at it :P. For now I'm trying to build a sculpture or mural of the face of Cthulhu for my entry hall but well I've only come up with this.
Spoiler
Show
Any tips or suggestions to possibly make it better?
HavokSCOUT

Re: Cthulhu Statue tips

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I'd say use Lapis blocks as the background and try to work as large as possible, so that you can smooth out the pixels a bit.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Space Invaders!!

-Sorry

But yeah, I was thinking more of a "3D" statue, with tentacles snaking out over the floor/up walls ect...
I agree with Havoc, building a full sized temple/statue will take a lot of effort- so best of luck to you.
(looks awesome so far)
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Width is fine but you need to make it taller so that your tentacles don't get chopped off. Another 5-8 meters should be enough.
Better is the enemy of Good
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

So I went back to try and make a more impressive entrance and use the advice i already had and came up with something I think I'm finally satisfied with.
Spoiler
Show
I just feel like I made my entrance infinitely better :) now time to find some other decorations/btw stuff to use in it. Also thanks for the advice :) I usually don't bother making stuff like this and advice is always appreciated from more experienced builders.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Not enough tentacles.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Personally, I think this looks pretty cool :)

Have you considered using vines for dangling tentacular bits? Color might be too biome dependent, but just a thought.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

FlowerChild wrote:Personally, I think this looks pretty cool :)

Have you considered using vines for dangling tentacular bits? Color might be too biome dependent, but just a thought.
That's actually a great suggestion, i'm hoping to use vines all over my base already. It's underwater so I'm aiming for low lighting, lots of mossy cobble/brick, and anything else I can manage to think of. And thanks, I can't wait to fully build it in my actual world :P
Locke

Post by Locke »

Clearly, your missing the player heads scattered around, preferably Lexmanos'.
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
wirer

Post by wirer »

On that note, which heads do drop? i did some mass slaughtering and got lexmanos, overmind and slowpoke. any others?

EDIT: sorry. wrong section
Last edited by wirer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

wirer wrote:On that note, which heads do drop? i did some mass slaughtering and got lexmanos, overmind and slowpoke. any others?
Off topic.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Mkay, I think I'm nearly done designing this entry hall/room/sacrificial chamber. Actually building it legit is going to be a serious challenge but I think will be very satisfying once I am done :)
Spoiler
Show
Image Veiw from doorway

Image From above

Image Top roof pattern and a bit of a four elements thing. Not sure if I'll keep it.
So while I think I've nailed the general look of the room and I'm now working on some finishing details, I'm also unsure of what I should do with a couple features.
1. Having It partially underground and the dome completely underwater, or have it stick up a bit more and have the dome rising from the ocean.
2. If it rises from the ocean, should I cap the top, since when the top isn't capped I have a sacrificial pit in which to hurl myself into and
Spoiler
Show
If I have that SFS beacon in my Ocean world I should be able to respawn right there, or in other words being reborn into a new body by the terrible power of the Great Cthulhu ;)
3. I have a semi circular pit underneath my Beacon platform and I have no clue what to do with it. I was thinking whirlpool, or saw pit, or something else a Cthulhu cultist might have in his temple. I'm going for flavor, not function in this design ;)
4. Material of the roof, keeping it glass? It would give a dome feeling and let me look out into the ocean, but it's overused in underwater bases in my opinion. Plus I'm not 100% about an ancient temple to cthulhu having a giant skylight. While on that topic the other materials of the walls, I was thinking sticking with obsidian, making them a bit less flat somehow, and mixing them with something else but If anyone else has a suggestion...
5. Lastly I was planning on making the entryway through the statues mouth and then down a hallway leading to various rooms and such. Now I'm wondering if I can do something better. Multiple hallways surrounding the perimeter, Having this simply be a shrine/spawnpoint and leading back to the rest of my base, or maybe using the pit as an entryway.

So yeah I'd also like to thank everyone for the tips and inspiring me to make something better than the dinky space invader i made before :P which now i feel is better suited for an expensive door frame.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

That is fricking awesome!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.