Splee999's Multiplayer Skyblock Sever: Shutting Down

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
Splee999

Re: Splee999's Multiplayer Skyblock Sever (BTW 4.41 / BWR 0.

Post by Splee999 »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOt! Finally finished rebuilding the map and restarting the server! A few notes:

The map is now MUCH more hardcore, and has been tailored to take full nearly full advantage of BWR.

So: crossbreeding for animals and plants is now necessary.

Also, BWR provides a way to obtain pretty much everything in the game, so I won't be making magical admin trades.
The exceptions to the rule: If you ask nicely, I'll provide you with a single lava source block for the Nether. Also: Cobble + 4 vines = Mossy cobble, for now.

Also remember that as soon as you build a nether portal, you are open to raids from other players. However, it is still against the rules to teleport to people's skyblocks from the main spawn room. (In other words, nether-based raids only).

I added a long drop to the spawn area to discourage self-grinding to restore hunger or whatever. I've also had some trouble with the teleporters, but I've found relogging usually fixes the problem.

I've also added tiny nether blocks, and my very own End to the map. You'll have to find those later.

One last note (Hint, really): Don't destroy all of your grass blocks. You need those for seeds and animals. Second: You only have a tiny margin of netherack to get your nether self-sustaining. I would use your first 64 souls to get a bloodwood growing before doing anything else with them. Don't forget that with BWR you can put ground netherack and sawdust in a millstone to trade for hellfire and souldust.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Sweet! just finished for today.. So far I have two sheep and a cow spawned naturally, I'll need to figure out animal XB still. And I have plan XBing started, but no real returns yet. Villager farm is up next.

I've posted some pics to tumblr the other two sets are scheduled for later (all should be up by 3pm PST)
http://pfilson.tumblr.com/search/Skyblock will bring up the Skyblock tagged pics.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Here is my progress after day one of the reset:

http://imgur.com/N0AbB

Also for those of you who want a safe way to kill golems, and also control where they spawn... :)

http://imgur.com/SlW8d

EDIT: Added Golem pic.
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Well, first day: I cut down my tree and no saplings. I have just enough wood for a couple of tools/weapons and a millstone and hand crank. The first crossbreeding experiments are under way, and I have a single block of cobble to repair any creeper damage. Let the hardcore BWR experience begin!
EDIT: Also, no seeds from the tall grass, and I have a single hemp plant from tilling the ground.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Dale

Post by Dale »

Rianaru wrote:Well, first day: I cut down my tree and no saplings. I have just enough wood for a couple of tools/weapons and a millstone and hand crank. The first crossbreeding experiments are under way, and I have a single block of cobble to repair any creeper damage. Let the hardcore BWR experience begin!
EDIT: Also, no seeds from the tall grass, and I have a single hemp plant from tilling the ground.
Dang man that's one rough start... Wish I could come over there n help out but i think going to someone elses block through spawn is not allowed :x
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Hello! I'd like to give this a shot, I'm not familiar with BWR's systems but they have always seemed very interesting.
IGN: embirrim
Dale

Post by Dale »

embirrim wrote:Hello! I'd like to give this a shot, I'm not familiar with BWR's systems but they have always seemed very interesting.
IGN: embirrim
Dat embirrim!?!? The server just got interesting!
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Dale wrote: Dat embirrim!?!? The server just got interesting!
...Thanks? Is this some joke about me I'm not aware of? =)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

embirrim wrote:
...Thanks? Is this some joke about me I'm not aware of? =)
You ran a server that existed to mess around with redstone. A lot of the stuff there was really well made :P

A short while later:

embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Rianaru wrote:You ran a server that existed to mess around with redstone. A lot of the stuff there was really well made :P
Well, this is skyblock, so I'm not 100% in my element.
The first time I played skyblock with a few friends, we had to restart 6 or 7 times because we messed up the lava and water interaction. We either got rid of the ice, or we got obsidian, I think once somebody even threw the source blocks over the side.
But from what I've gleamed from BWR there are some cool systems to automate and automate them I shall.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Whitelisted Embirrim. It's gonna be awesome to have a redstone pro on the server! Have fun man.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'd like to apply for your server.
IGN: alexkrupski

I understand if you'd rather not. New guy with a few posts, never looks promising.

I really enjoyed the skyblock series. Most fun I ever had in a challenge map since the days of the 404 challenge. I even set up a private server for a friend and I to play skyblock. But he doesn't find the joy in challenge maps and it made me sad. :(

I'd like to say I'm a trustworthy guy. I don't grief or cause mayhem. Just interested in playing with like-minded individuals on a skyblock map. Even if we aren't playing co-opperatively. Gives me a reason to be pretty with skyblock so I can show it off to more than just my wife. lol

Again, if you don't want to take a chance on the quiet lurker, I understand.

Cheers,
~Rob
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Okay so I've reserved my block. The first one I went onto had already been tampered with, I changed the sign on it in spawn so you know which one it is.
I've been thrown right into BWR, I also did not get any saplings from my tree. Time to go look at the BWR thread to see how to get started.

EDIT: looks like I'm going to have to change skyblock. Seems like I'm worst at this than I even remember.
This is how much I suck in one minecraft day:
Spoiler
Show
(sorry it's so dark)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I'd like to request a reset of my block...I've been stuck AFKing and xb for days without being able to even build out and mine cobble after my tree didnt drop any saplings, and it's not fun at all.

A short while later:

Dale

Post by Dale »

embirrim wrote:Okay so I've reserved my block. The first one I went onto had already been tampered with, I changed the sign on it in spawn so you know which one it is.
I've been thrown right into BWR, I also did not get any saplings from my tree. Time to go look at the BWR thread to see how to get started.

EDIT: looks like I'm going to have to change skyblock. Seems like I'm worst at this than I even remember.
This is how much I suck in one minecraft day:
Spoiler
Show
(sorry it's so dark)
Even if you don't get saplings you can get one by XB'ing. So not all is lost. As far as the water goes that sucks.. what did you do???
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Dale wrote:Even if you don't get saplings you can get one by XB'ing. So not all is lost. As far as the water goes that sucks.. what did you do???
I am aware of xbreeding. But since I turned my lava into obsidian there was nothing I could do. Also as you can see from rianaru above me, waiting for xb on saplings is boring.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

embirrim wrote:
Dale wrote:Even if you don't get saplings you can get one by XB'ing. So not all is lost. As far as the water goes that sucks.. what did you do???
I am aware of xbreeding. But since I turned my lava into obsidian there was nothing I could do. Also as you can see from rianaru above me, waiting for xb on saplings is boring.
Yeah not only boring, but it was quickly draining all my willingness to play minecraft. And it's not for lack of trying. I must have spent at least 15 hours or so on the server AFK waiting for plants to xb. It's definitely not something that is meant to be the only thing that you can do at any given moment.

A short while later:

Warr1024

Post by Warr1024 »

Rianaru wrote:Yeah not only boring, but it was quickly draining all my willingness to play minecraft. And it's not for lack of trying. I must have spent at least 15 hours or so on the server AFK waiting for plants to xb. It's definitely not something that is meant to be the only thing that you can do at any given moment.
Plant XB has undergone a handful of nerfs, as playing on a default or classic superflat worldgen, you would otherwise quickly amass all of the plant species by just setting up massive XB farms. Many of the early tech tree BWR recipes are balanced against the standard BTW route by simply requiring more patience, as that is one of the only things you have to add in, to compensate for being given something that you otherwise would have to explore, mine, or otherwise work for.

15 hours sounds like about the amount of time it took ExpHP to get saplings on RenewaBlock, though RenewaBlock is a more extreme case. Have you built a cobble platform below your block to catch your dirt, uprooted the dirt, and spread it out flat? You'd probably need every scrap of dirt you can get, aside from a piece (or maybe 2 slabs) to hold your grass reserve. I run a fairly minimal tree farm on my world of about 9 blocks of dirt, and considering the half-chest of wood I have, I may reallocate half of that back to XB.
Make add-ons, not suggestions.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Hey all- Sorry to hear about all those fails. I'll try to clean those up and reset the blocks this afternoon. I'll also whitelist alexrupski. Also, in hearing reports of the trees not dropping saplings, I think I'll add a single sapling to the first chest as a backup plan. Since you have very little wood to work with unless you can grow more trees, I think this is fair enough. I'm still trying to find the balance between "So hardcore your eyes bleed and fingers fall off before you can do anything" and "I've been playing for five minutes and can't find any more chests to put my diamonds in." Please bear with me as I figure this out.

Oh, there's also been mention of people messing with skyblocks and then leaving the sign as if it was an untouched skyblock. Please, if you happen to switch skyblocks, change the sign on the old one to say it needs a reset so I can know about it and you don't force people to switch blocks over and over to find an untouched one.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I appear to have created yet another block of obsidian. God I suck at skyblock. Splee, should I just change skyblock again, or will you reset my block? Up to you really, sorry for the inconvinience.
Just goes to show how much I don't use cobblestone generators.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Splee999 wrote:-snip- I'll also whitelist alexrupski. -snip-
Thank you, I appreciate it. But, you spelled the IGN wrong. :P alexkrupski

I look forward to playing on the server. But for now. I'm going to actually do the dishes, since I can't play quite yet. :D
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Warr1024 wrote: Plant XB has undergone a handful of nerfs, as playing on a default or classic superflat worldgen, you would otherwise quickly amass all of the plant species by just setting up massive XB farms. Many of the early tech tree BWR recipes are balanced against the standard BTW route by simply requiring more patience, as that is one of the only things you have to add in, to compensate for being given something that you otherwise would have to explore, mine, or otherwise work for.

15 hours sounds like about the amount of time it took ExpHP to get saplings on RenewaBlock, though RenewaBlock is a more extreme case. Have you built a cobble platform below your block to catch your dirt, uprooted the dirt, and spread it out flat? You'd probably need every scrap of dirt you can get, aside from a piece (or maybe 2 slabs) to hold your grass reserve. I run a fairly minimal tree farm on my world of about 9 blocks of dirt, and considering the half-chest of wood I have, I may reallocate half of that back to XB.
I used all the building materials I had in order to access xb(mob spawning area+handcrank/millstone+tools) so I didn't really have enough to redistribute the dirt. Plus I got bored really quickly because farming/ranching is my least favorite part of minecraft. Part of my problem was personal playstyle preference, the other part was lack of knowledge about time and effort necessary for xb. Should I be in that situation again, I'd probably be able to deal with it better and quicker, but for now, I just want to get on with mining my cobble and actually building something.

A short while later:

Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Sorry for the double post, but I was checking other sky blocks(just sightseeing, I didn't change anything) and it seems that sky block 12(the sign reads "Embirrim: This skyblock seems to need a reset") doesn't actually need a reset. It has a fully functional cobble gen and 2 saplings. When I got there, there were some leaf blocks that were still despawning, and when I broke those I got 2 saplings. Those saplings are in the chest for that sky block. Embirrim, you might want to go back and reclaim that one since it's perfectly fine :P

A short while later:

Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

All right, I repaired all those broken skyblocks. Protip: elevate your lava at least two blocks over the water source to avoid making obsidian. I also whitelist alexkrupski. Have fun!
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Much appreciated man :)

A short while later: