Flower's Dev Diary (Week of December 17th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of December 17th)

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I believe I'm done with the client side port of BTW to 1.4.6, and just have the server to go.

A few small observations:

-Mojang seems to have gotten around to communicating the size of item stacks from server to client, so I was able to strip out the mod code for doing the same thing that I added awhile ago. Yay on that :)

-They seem to have fixed the Minecart jerkiness (woot!), but not the Minecart sound-spam when they're rolling downhill. Sigh... (and a minor wtf on them not addressing that)

-Fireworks are pretty frigging underwhelming. I wasn't expecting much, but after letting a few off, even my low expectations for them weren't met. I really don't see people being motivated to create displays with them as they seem to be entirely "meh".

Otherwise, not much to note. Mod items work fine in 3D form, after I made a minor adjustment to the code so they load the appropriate custom texture files. All in all, it pretty much just feels like I'm playing 1.4.5.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:All in all, it pretty much just feels like I'm playing 1.4.5.
Which isn't exactly the worst thing that could have happened, so I guess that's a bit of good news, no?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: Which isn't exactly the worst thing that could have happened, so I guess that's a bit of good news, no?
Well, that's true. They don't appear to have done much damage this time around, at least nothing I've noticed yet.

However, spending 4 hours or so on mind-numbing manual integration only to have it result in what is effectively the same things as you had before, tends to put a rather more negative spin on things ;)
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

But isn't that one of the factors that has earned you so much respect among modders? The fact that despite the constant storm of bullshit that seems to gravitate towards you, you never lose steam.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

So, say you're coding all day. It's getting past midnight, and you decide to run one last test before turning in. You pop open the game, and suddenly shout out:

"WTF?!"

Upon seeing this:
Spoiler
Show
Took me a second to realize exactly what had happened there and that it didn't represent some kind of massive error on my part :)

On that note though, the server port is done. Don't want to release tonight, as I want to get a good night's sleep before running the last round of tests and packaging the thing.

<carves another notch on the side of his monitor>
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Those present storage minecarts threw me for a moment...thought they were something more...you know, explody.

I like the shade of green though. Instead of 'christmas green' they've gone with 'we-skinned-santa's-elves-and-wrapped-your-chests-in-thier-flesh green'. Nice.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

*snicker* eheh...ehehehe...Bwahahaahahahaha!

lol, sorry fc, I dunno why, but that made me crack up. Glad to see you got things rolling smoothly and whatnot.

Keep up the good work and treat yourself to some eggnog, 'tis the season and all ya know.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
xou816

Post by xou816 »

FlowerChild wrote:Just a little bit of news. Some of you may have seen Kahr, the author of MCPatcher, pop up in the MCF btw thread the other days asking for a hook for stoked fire.

I took care of that earlier today, refactoring the stoked fire code to take into account variable texture sizes, and sent him along an advanced copy of the code to see if it met his needs.

Anyways, he just sent me the following screenshot indicating that it indeed does:
Spoiler
Show
I'll likely make additional changes to the regular fire code in the future so that it will generate its texture based on the stoked one if it's sitting on top of stoked, to get rid of those seams, but regardless, just a small bit of good news for MCPatcher users :)
Wow, that's indeed good news! Thank you FC!
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Bwahahaha Storm and FC, I nearly died laughing reading that.

Keep it up, with your skinned elf chests and whatnot.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:I'll likely make additional changes to the regular fire code in the future so that it will generate its texture based on the stoked one if it's sitting on top of stoked, to get rid of those seams, but regardless, just a small bit of good news for MCPatcher users :)
This is awesome.
FlowerChild wrote:Oh, and I also just slipped in that change to ice with Hardcore Buckets enabled that I mentioned over on MCF.
As is this.
Thank you so much. :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh, and I also just slipped in that change to ice with Hardcore Buckets enabled that I mentioned over on MCF.
:') Sniff thanks a lot man! The underwater base can continue now!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a brief note that I'm currently putting a few small odds and ends into the release before sending it out. I noticed a few minor early game polish items while doing my partial play-through of the mod on the official anarchy server the other day, and just wanted to take care of those before sending this version out, and while I'm otherwise testing the mod under 1.4.6 anyways.

So far everything seems to be working great, gift-wrapped chests aside ;)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:So far everything seems to be working great, gift-wrapped chests aside ;)
Thanks, FC. Happy holidays, man. :)
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Holy smokes!
I wander away for a year and all the hintings of backstory from the start of the steel age are actually coming in to play?!
The lore was always a part of that internal design consistency that I loved about this mod, I'll definitely have to get back into this and head Home when the time comes. Awesome that you've kept this up, Flower
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Wow, I was expecting that xp storage feature to be totally forgotten amidst all the fuzz going on in the last few weeks. Did not really dared to hope it would make the cut given that btw is being finalized. You are a true gentleman for not downright writing it off:]

Sorry for making an obvious suggestion, as I said, I sincerely thought it was something forgotten, did not intend to push the issue at all, that is not my style. :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said