Redstone lessons for someone else.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DreamsofFury

Redstone lessons for someone else.

Post by DreamsofFury »

I couldn't decide if this should go into the main BTW section or not so I saved myself any possible future issues by posting it here since its meant for future BTW use but initially wont involve BTW.

Due to recent issues and the fact forge itself is a resource whore that sucks up 100% of my low end CPU and makes my game crash constantly while BTW causes me no issues the girlfriend is willing to let go of her favorite mods, two of them being Mo'Creatures and Jammys funiture, that along with a very good friend of ours that only plays BTW though he only uses it for fancy eye candy (ascetics or however its spelled) is moving in, we are deleting our forge multiplayer world and restarting a brand new one with BTW.

Now for the reasons behind this post, I'm a redstone genius, I have built massive multi-part puzzles using only vMC back in the day, now I use al those methods to get what I feel is the most out of BTW. The problem here is, both my girlfriend and our friend know nothing of redstone other than "hit button/switch and door/piston moves" and I have no idea how much I should teach them....should it just be things like the basic inverters and small gates and basic repeater timers?

Or should I go massivly advanced to the point they are capable of building a multi-lever/button keycoded combination door?

Lookin for advice here on this as its a case of "i know too much" where as they know basically nothing.
Graphite

Re: Redstone lessons for someone else.

Post by Graphite »

Teach them the basics atleast: Redstone powers blocks; redstone touching powered blocks powers; torches attached to powered blocks go unpowered. That kind of stuff.

After that I'd suggest teaching them a few circuits you expect them to need in BtW. If they're interested they can then try to figure out how those circuits work, based on the basic redstone interaction you taught earlier, thereby increasing their own understanding of how redstone works.
Ph1il93

Post by Ph1il93 »

should it just be things like the basic inverters and small gates and basic repeater timers?
I recommend that, because after they learned the basic stuff, they will slowly learn to combine different gates, redstone mechanics and BTW blocks (BUD, BD..) into more complex machines. Maybe you should give them small tasks to begin with, like build a piston based sugarcane farm controlled by a button, next step could be to include a BUD or timing.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Both are good ideas, I'll go with what Graphite said and kinda test them with small projects afterwards like phil suggests, still open to more ideas, I did this all on my own over many months so I have no idea how limited my direct help should be lol
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Motivation to learn is often driven through need. So if you give them a quick run through of what systems are possible to build, when they have a desire to create one then you can help them. I find learning as I go based on what I'm trying to accomplish works out much better than trying to learn a massive amount of info upfront.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

I would personally start by showing what is possible with redstone, such as showing some fully automated builds. From there show them the basics so they can problem solve simple things, such as why a certain line is being powered when they don't want it powered. And then from there I would invite them to join in helping with any redstone builds you do until they get the hang of it themselves, and always be open to helping with problems they can't figure out or with helping with a large build.

I currently do this with one of my friends whenever we get on a server and he's learned quite fast, and has even taught me some things I've never even thought of.

Also, if all else fails, have them watch some videos on youtube. If you want them to learn useful setups for BTW, have them take a look at some of Battosay's videos. That's where I learned most of my redstone skills.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Padfoote wrote:Also, if all else fails, have them watch some videos on youtube. If you want them to learn useful setups for BTW, have them take a look at some of Battosay's videos. That's where I learned most of my redstone skills.
Awww :)
I feel proud :)