Men of Steel Trailer

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Wafflewaffle

Men of Steel Trailer

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Ive been hurt before

But maybe im allowed to have hope? What you guys think?

Edit: I cant embed this for my life =P

Just keep what's after the "v=" part, in the end.
-Batto

Edit2: Thx batto luv you!
Last edited by Wafflewaffle on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Kazuya Mishima

Re: Men of Steel Trailer

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I remember the last attempt at continuing the franchise was an utter failure but the trailer or teaser associated with it was probably one of the greatest trailers for a movie that i've ever seen. These promotions have a way of deceiving and many times the trailer is often better than the movie they are advertising.

Also what's with the "now we are free" Gladiator music? I guess i shouldn't complain, otherwise it would be a Inceptionesque foghorn or some feverish opera chanting.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:These promotions have a way of deceiving and many times the trailer is often better than the movie they are advertising.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

The trailer looks nice. But lets be honest. Superman is sooo boring. Batman was much more fertile material.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:The trailer looks nice. But lets be honest. Superman is sooo boring. Batman was much more fertile material.

+1

Even when I was a kid a totally invincible superhero that had a single contrived weakness that would miraculously appear in almost every conflict he was involved in didn't strike me as credible.

The character just never interested me as a result. I was much more drawn to "talented but otherwise ordinary guy in extraordinary circumstances" type superheroes like Batman, Spiderman, Daredevil or Iron Man.

I guess this was my initial introduction to the concept of something being "overpowered" :)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Superman = The Jebification of the Superhero industry.

But yeah, that is the same reason i never got into superman. It especially got stupid with computer game implementations. Either Superman had to be nerfed with weaknesses and health thus being inconsistent with the comic / movies we have perceived, Superman is overpowered and thus presents no challenge, or enemies are overpowered making Superman less effective and thus breaking consistency.

From the trailer though, it looks like they may be focussing more on the emotional aspects of being the all-powerful and invincible superhero rather than Superman vs Kryptonite-armed enemy.

Besides, the concept of the overpowered hero has been consistently popular. I mean, superman concept is a parallel of Archillies, and how many times does Kryptonite / Archillies Heel get referenced in everyday society and other stories that don't involve a Superhero. I guess sometimes, a story that focuses on a single simple concept (i.e Superman) gives us the tools to better build and describe more complex stories.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

You guys... I cant believe this! Its Superman!!! The Grand father of all super heroes.

Let me just correct a few mistakes made here. First he has more then one weakness, not only magic can deeply affect Superman(as seen by the many times he gets possessed or controled along the years), if he gets cut off from his power source (AKA the sun) he's power reserves can be easily depleded. But none of that is what makes him Superman, he's main weakness is his unwillingness to be nothing but the utmost good. He cant let someone die, he cant hurt people, hence why he is so predictible. Not to mention his nemesis, the only person to pose a constant and real threat to Superman is a mere human being, Lex Luthor.

Batman is OP. He has no weakness, his technology goes above and beyond a lot of superpowers out there, he has infinite resourses and has emergency plans to defeat any of the most powerful superheroes out there, including Superman.

Superman is more human then Batman, he does not uses Clark Kent as a disguise, he uses it to feel human, to feel loved and close to those he tries to protect, but he can never achieve that fully.

I will stand for Superman justice, even tough his recent comics suck =(
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Wafflewaffle wrote:Batman is OP. He has no weakness, his technology goes above and beyond a lot of superpowers out there, he has infinite resourses and has emergency plans to defeat any of the most powerful superheroes out there, including Superman.
We don't talk of the "George Clooney" Batman days. Like Star Wars EP 1-3... it didn't happen.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh boy. I suspect this debate is almost as old as comics themselves :)

As a peace offering, I present a song about the subject:

Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

The whole superman explanation has also bothered me. I mean I'm usually willing to give comic book superpowers something of a pass. But Superman gets his power from the sun? Really? So he's like a plant? How does he get such a concentration of power? Why can he still use his superpowers in buildings and underground?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:The whole superman explanation has also bothered me. I mean I'm usually willing to give comic book superpowers something of a pass. But Superman gets his power from the sun? Really? So he's like a plant? How does he get such a concentration of power? Why can he still use his superpowers in buildings and underground?
I realized recently, that I'm no longer a guy that can have such conversation.

After watching the most recent Dark Knight film, I came to terms that superheroes now bore me, and I'm really not interested in them anymore. Batman used to be one of my favorites, but it just doesn't do it for me now.

Part of it is definitely age. Part of it was that as I've mentioned before, the last comic series I really enjoyed before I stopped collecting, was this one:
Spoiler
Show
At its core, the whole thing is really a scathing satirical piece on the concept of superheroes and what such people might actually be like (not very pretty).

After that, the whole superhero myth was pretty much entirely debunked for me, and 20 or so years later, I just really can't get into the whole thing. It's not that I wind up really objecting to them in the sense of their powers or their origins, but more that it just doesn't catch hold of me at the human level anymore.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

At the start of every conflict I wonder why he doesn't just fly around the earth a few times and stop the problem before it happens.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
SleskePede

Post by SleskePede »

Dont worry guys, this movie is going to be somewhere between good and fucking awesome. Im willing to bet money on this.
I am not worried for the following reasons.

1. Christopher Nolan. He has litteraly not written a bad movie in his life. Memento, Inception the three Batman movies. It seams like he can't not write a great script.

2. Zach Snyder. He is hit and miss (suckerpunch, but then again, Poes law! That one is for another day), but he did make 300 and Watchmen - the latter wasnt exactly true to the comic, but good fun nonetheless. So I feel like the man of steel is in safe hands.

3. Superman has a beard now?

4. The fact that they will be making a justice league movie, using the same model that Marvel used with the Avengers, means that this one has to be in the bag, or they drop a multi-billion dollar franchise on the ground. That just isn't going to happen.

I hope you are all reassured, that this movie is going to rock, I know I am! (I think)
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

SleskePede wrote: 4. The fact that they will be making a justice league movie, using the same model that Marvel used with the Avengers, means that this one has to be in the bag, or they drop a multi-billion dollar franchise on the ground. That just isn't going to happen.
Wat? Where did this come up? If there's a source, I'd love to know about it so I can pour over it.

As far as Man of Steel, I'm just impressed at the cast they've pulled out for this one. Lots of actors I respect. I've got some hope, and the trailer gave me chills. It should be fun, regardless of anything else. Fun and a solid emotional core.
I had an image here once. Then I took an arrow... somewhere...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SleskePede wrote:Memento, Inception
Eek...wait, those two were seriously done by the same guy? Was there some kind of head trauma sustained between the two?

Loved Momento. Hated Inception with a deep and lingering passion.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I personally thought that Inception was a brilliant idea, yet entirely incomprehensible and overblown.
There's no reason to make the plot so complicated.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Azdoine wrote:I personally thought that Inception was a brilliant idea, yet entirely incomprehensible and overblown.
There's no reason to make the plot so complicated.
I didn't think Inception was complicated at all... I mean, at first you don't understand anything, but thats because you don't have enough information to know whats going on.... But if you see the movie again you see its really straightforward IMO...
Spoiler
Show
I feel bad for DiCaprio though... First on Shutter Island, then on Inception... He's always getting fucked over and going to jail/and or going crazy because of his crazy wives... Talk about bad luck XD
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Inception is great fun to watch in foreign languages. I still haven't seen it in English (my native language). English subtitles are cheating!
jorgebonafe wrote: spoilers
There's a life lesson in there, I just know it ;)
Spoiler
Show
Ok, so I don't come across as sexist or something, I was referring to avoiding crazy people in general; sanity is in short supply as it is!
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
SleskePede

Post by SleskePede »

EdzyWhat wrote: Wat? Where did this come up? If there's a source, I'd love to know about it so I can pour over it.
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/j ... -jgiro.php

There is still wiggle room to cancel it but they start shooting sometime in 2013 so im not worried.
There aren't many details or rumors yet, but I think I heard somewhere that Darkseid would be the villain, and Joseph Gordon Levitt or Christian Bale won't be playing batman.
That is all I know, but I'm stoked!

Edit: And I agree 100% on the cast. Michael Shannon as General Zod! He is going to knock it out of the park!
Last edited by SleskePede on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: I didn't think Inception was complicated at all... I mean, at first you don't understand anything, but thats because you don't have enough information to know whats going on.... But if you see the movie again you see its really straightforward IMO...
Just inconsistent and full of plot holes.

I had no trouble understanding what was going on the first time I saw it, I just thought what was lurking underneath the "complexity" wasn't worth the price of admission, and that when the choice came between internal consistency and big special effects, the latter was almost always opted for.

The nicest thing I can say about that film is that it was a very pretty action movie. However, I'm the kind of person that would much rather spend 2 hours playing an action game if I'm in the mood for that kind of thing, than 2 on watching an action movie.

Anyways, for me I think any discussion of Inception can be summed up nicely with the South Park parody on it:

Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Went to see Inception particularly drunk, and I was convinced that it had immeasurable deep meaning...until I woke up the next morning and actually thought about it. I saw it again later, and was entertained by the action part of it, but I couldn't bring myself to give the plot or anything except the acting a second thought. Actually, wasn't that Joseph Gordon Levitt's first big appearance in a movie? I don't recall seeing him in anything before that.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Meh... I liked inception. But you can't really take it much more seriously than Avengers. Like where black widow reaches up and grabs onto the alien speeder thing that's moving at 60-100 mph and pulls herself up with one hand. And they claim she doesn't have any superpowers! :P
SleskePede

Post by SleskePede »

While I did enjoy inception a lot, I'm inclined to say south park nailed that one.
But you can't expect a perfectly resonable and consistent plot from Donald Duck comic anyway :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dream_of_a_Lifetime
Actually, wasn't that Joseph Gordon Levitt's first big appearance in a movie? I don't recall seeing him in anything before that.
He was in '500 Days of Summer' the year before, while not as big as inception (by a longshot) it did break 60 mil.
And he was the lead in Brick in 05, but nobody actually saw that.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Auhahuauha

South Park is very good with explaining and parodying movies XD I loved how Avatar was actually Cartman's idea...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: South Park is very good with explaining and parodying movies XD I loved how Avatar was actually Cartman's idea...
One of my favorites was their parody on Family Guy with manatees pushing around cubes to determine the plot :)