Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Azdoine

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by Azdoine »

Self-Deleted
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Seriously.... This is what mojang have decided to spend their time on.

Fireworks
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Looks cool and can propably be used in SMP as an visual alert, it short time attention magnets in Anarchy.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Elevatator wrote:Looks cool and can propably be used in SMP as an visual alert, it short time attention magnets in Anarchy.
Yeah that's sort of what I'm thinking. Of course it will be horribly implemented and the recipes will make no sense and fireworks are beyond vanilla Steve's tech level. And there's many other things mojang could be doing that would be more worthwhile.

But if they're going to waste time on it and its not too bad to rebalance, of course I'm going to build a system to launch fireworks every time a wolf poops. Other than SMP some other practical applications for it include long range visual (and sound?) alerts for automated systems needing attention. Like mob grinder xp capacity being full, or pottery systems out of clay, etc.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Magick_Miner wrote:Seriously.... This is what mojang have decided to spend their time on.

Fireworks
Ghhnn....
Good to see they have their priorities straight.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Charzy

Post by Charzy »

SterlingRed wrote:fireworks are beyond vanilla Steve's tech level.
A paper tube filled with gunpowder is high tech?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Charzy wrote:
Controlled height and shaped charges are beyond what we have now. So far all Steve can manage is rudimentary tnt. Suddenly we go to specificly controlled propulsion with shaped charges. Seems that Steve should know how to work a little more accurately with explosives before being able to do this. It suits btw quite well. But not vanilla.

Edit: its not exploding fireworks I take issue with, its launching the firework. That process requires at least further processing of gunpowder, ideally the inclusion of a stable fuel. Otherwise all the fireworks should just blow up in your hand or on the ground.
Last edited by SterlingRed on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Charzy wrote:
A paper tube full of gunpowder isn't a firework, just dangerous.

It's the shiny and sparkly bits that steve has little/no access too IIRC.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

In my opinion, fireworks are probably one of the more promising features that I've seen from the Mojang team lately. Combined with the difficulty of obtaining gunpowder in BTW, and the lack of player names in multiplayer, they would serve quite well as flares when one is lost in a jungle, they could be used for distractions / lures in anarchy, and if they can be fired from upwards-facing dispensers (new thing they might add to support it, we'll just use block dispensers), redstone could be used to make awesome fireworks shows, putting some construction back into a vanilla feature.
devak

Post by devak »

If i recall correctly, Gunpowder was used by the chinese to make fireworks a LONG time ago.

Yes it'll be nowhere near modern standards, but basically by "screwing up" your gunpowder, it can be made to burn fast rather than explode. Basically, what Steve currently has with Fuses.

Colors are added by using specific elements and/or minerals. Sparkly white is magnesium or aluminium for example. SO yea, i think steve can make some crude stuff, especially with redstone, lightdust, and what not.

I think it's a neat little feature that'll bring in the spirit. Just curious about the launch mechanism
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Thalarctia wrote:In my opinion, fireworks are probably one of the more promising features that I've seen from the Mojang team lately. Combined with the difficulty of obtaining gunpowder in BTW, and the lack of player names in multiplayer, they would serve quite well as flares when one is lost in a jungle, they could be used for distractions / lures in anarchy, and if they can be fired from upwards-facing dispensers (new thing they might add to support it, we'll just use block dispensers), redstone could be used to make awesome fireworks shows, putting some construction back into a vanilla feature.
It might have uses in BTW anarchy, but it doesn't seem to add much to vanilla, which is what they should be designing for. It's a cool toy, but I'd say that it's a stretch to call it anything more than that.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a brief note, as I know people were wondering about it:

My "November 5th" update was originally planned as a system for primitive rocketry in BTW, where by using different components for the "war head" you could create fireworks as kind of a byproduct (the primary use was weaponized rockets).

So yeah, with both my move towards RTH, and Mojang announcing their fireworks, that got the big triage ;)

It was a bit of a stunning coincidence on my end when they announced them, but given that I'm trying to finalize BTW, it's probably for the best.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I think maybe Mojang is just recognizing that the majority of their audience now is small children.
esphorem

Post by esphorem »

I'm glad mojang is spending their time making fireworks. At least they won't be as bad as something like anvils, and even though they'll be horribly implemented I look forward to having a New Years fireworks display in my world.

And the Command Blocks prove not every idea of theirs is bad.
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Charzy wrote:
Gunpowder, dye, paper, done.
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

The Lord of Brick wrote:
Charzy wrote: A paper tube filled with gunpowder is high tech?
Gunpowder, dye, paper, done.
Yes working with highly volatile chemical compound is a cake walk and fyi they don't use a dye they use a metal for the color.
Example
Spoiler
Show
julkwiec

Post by julkwiec »

A paper tube filled with any kind of pyrotechnical mix would just make a lot of smoke and noise while burning, or, depending on the chemicals used, would just go boom. You need some kind of an "engine" - a muzzle, possibly made of clay, with just a small hole at the exhaust. Making those sparkling pellets spreading from the main explosion is also a difficult thing to do - *theoretically* possible with stuff available in BTW like wax, tallow etc.
However, Steve is a very talented and skilled person, capable of defying many laws of the universe. If he can carry over 51 tons of equipment in his non-existent backpack, dig a cubic meter of soil with his bare hands in a matter of seconds and capture souls in clay urns, then he's certainly capable of making fireworks :)
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

I don't really mind the fireworks. They will probably be a "use it once and forget it exists" item, but at least its not some kind of functionality that Mojang can fuck up. (unless it will do something like scaring away nearby mobs, fingers crossed :/ )
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I could see it being mildly useful as a signal flare with style in SMP. But with all these new little content additions, the Mod API is just making me think of the Big Dig.

EDIT: For reference before anyone asks and is rebutted with a 'let me google that for you'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Educated_Fool wrote:I don't really mind the fireworks. They will probably be a "use it once and forget it exists" item, but at least its not some kind of functionality that Mojang can fuck up. (unless it will do something like scaring away nearby mobs, fingers crossed :/ )
Guess what China used fireworks for initially. Seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if Mojang researched it a bit.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Well guys, here we go again. Dinner bone tweeted he's taking a run at the bug tracker and has asked people to up vote ones they want fixed. I took a look, the tracker is a mess atm, lots of not bugs reported or tech related problems.

One in particular I up voted that I want to see fixed is the dispenser firing bug. I encountered this again yesterday, in a design breaking way. The dispenser will fire twice when pulsed by Redstone, but not from every orientation or placement of red stone. Its a fucking disaster and a serious problem when I just built my entire cow farm wheat feeding system based on the assumption that I could use a rotating dispenser to equally distribute wheat into two channels. Instead, I get 2/3rds fed to one side and 1/3rd fed to the other. I imagine Ill have similar issues with dispensing the wheat to the cows themselves too. I'll be swapping in bd's but its a pain that mojang is costing me the 17 additional bds because of this. Sorry my cow farm has caused me no end of grief lately, I had my design flaws fixed and then I found this problem. /rant
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

SterlingRed wrote:Well guys, here we go again. Dinner bone tweeted he's taking a run at the bug tracker and has asked people to up vote ones they want fixed. I took a look, the tracker is a mess atm, lots of not bugs reported or tech related problems.

One in particular I up voted that I want to see fixed is the dispenser firing bug. I encountered this again yesterday, in a design breaking way. The dispenser will fire twice when pulsed by Redstone, but not from every orientation or placement of red stone. Its a fucking disaster and a serious problem when I just built my entire cow farm wheat feeding system based on the assumption that I could use a rotating dispenser to equally distribute wheat into two channels. Instead, I get 2/3rds fed to one side and 1/3rd fed to the other. I imagine Ill have similar issues with dispensing the wheat to the cows themselves too. I'll be swapping in bd's but its a pain that mojang is costing me the 17 additional bds because of this. Sorry my cow farm has caused me no end of grief lately, I had my design flaws fixed and then I found this problem. /rant
That would probably be postponed to 1.5, since they mentioned they would be fixing the various North/whatever bugs to do with redstone during that update.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Stormweaver wrote: That would probably be postponed to 1.5, since they mentioned they would be fixing the various North/whatever bugs to do with redstone during that update.
Yeah they say they're going to fix a lot of things. Usually the fix makes it worse and we have to wait a few iterations for a real fix.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Dinnerbone seems to work on scroll-like enchanting:
Spoiler
Show
This is what I originally added the Anvil for. Finally had a chance to sit down and add it! <snip>
EDIT:

Also, 100th page! :D
Last edited by Itamarcu on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Not a bad thing, controlled enchanting will be a nice to have for vanilla players.

I'm personally more curious about where these enchanted books are going to come from. I suspect they won't be super rare mob drops like they are in BTW.