Request for loose ends

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Request for loose ends

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, so as you all know I'm currently working on finalizing BTW in preparation to start full production on RTH.

As a result, I just wanted to put out a request for any loose ends you guys may have noticed in the mod that may require me resolving as part of this process.

Basically, I'm looking for anything that feels like its incomplete.

Obviously, I already know about all the reported bugs, which I plan to resolve as part of this, as well as the following items:

-Placeable candles.
-Remaining varieties of mod sub-blocks.
-Remaining arcane scrolls not currently available.
-Visual filter and "swim physics" for cement.

NOTE: I am not talking about features here that I may have talked about that people would like to see in the mod, so please don't bring those up. This isn't meant as a general suggestion thread.

As always, please don't be a rule #1. I'm posting this request as I want to make sure that the mod is in a polished state when I move onto RTH, not to answer questions about what I will or will not be working on, or to receive suggestions on what my remaining additions should be.

If you guys could help me out, I'd be much obliged, as the mod is big enough that it would be very easy for me to forget about something that needs to be addressed.
walker_boh_65

Re: Request for loose ends

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I remember you wanting to change something with The Forgotten Item: Cement.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:I remember you wanting to change something with The Forgotten Item: Cement.
It's not a loose end. Cement feels fine the way it is, whatever my previous ambitions for it may have been. I'm really talking about stuff here that feels incomplete from a player perspective.

Although...hmmm...it could use a visual filter and "swim" physics...errr...I'll think about that one :)
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

I posted a suggestion thread here a while ago about saw recipes that recycle the wood in wooden items. It appeared to be well-received and you mentioned you'd be implementing this gradually. Since this is just tying up loose ends, I thought I'd remind you of this and ask if you feel you've done all you wanted to with this idea.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

bmanfoley wrote:I posted a suggestion thread here a while ago about saw recipes that recycle the wood in wooden items. It appeared to be well-received and you mentioned you'd be implementing this gradually. Since this is just tying up loose ends, I thought I'd remind you of this and ask if you feel you've done all you wanted to with this idea.
You just earned yourself a temp ban for not reading (or adhering to) what I said above.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:I remember you wanting to change something with The Forgotten Item: Cement.
Yeah Walker, you're absolutely right with this one. Will add it to the list in the OP.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

bmanfoley wrote:I posted a suggestion thread here a while ago about saw recipes that recycle the wood in wooden items. It appeared to be well-received and you mentioned you'd be implementing this gradually. Since this is just tying up loose ends, I thought I'd remind you of this and ask if you feel you've done all you wanted to with this idea.
Ok, my apologies for this. Upon further consideration, this particular point is relevant in the loose ends department, but not something I'll likely be working on further.

Sorry for that, I'm a little trigger-happy at the moment as I really don't want this to spiral out of control.
Six

Post by Six »

Generally things you've implemented have always felt pretty tight to me from the get go (unlike much in vanilla), so it's really hard to come up with anything that feels loose. The only thing that I can think of is the way SFS blocks respond at the strongholds with slurping water etc. Though that might still be on your notes for dealing with The Device.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I don't read every single thing you post, so I don't know if this has been scrapped/RTH'd/already planned.
Hopper carts, better interaction with minecarts all around, etc, so building item transport systems are more convenient would be very appreciated.

EDIT: Also, xp storage, even if it is simple for now, would be very welcome.
These are the two things that I see as incomplete; two features that would benefit the mod a lot, allowing for better interaction between different systems and automation projects with the minecart tweaks, and as for the xp just a question of being able to automate something around it and not just leave it lying there.
Last edited by embirrim on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psion

Post by Psion »

I did happen to notice, while pointing out to a poster on the MC forums where the hardcore features were listed in the OP, that under Hardcore beds it was listed that they would eventually serve a purpose other than decorative.

Would this mysterious other function be considered a loose end?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

There was the headway you made towards explosives, which kind of petered out after blasting oil. Not sure if it was planned to go much further, but it does feel a little incomplete atm.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Soap is something that feels incomplete to me. It has a fair amount of processing involved in producing it, yet little to no reason to do so. It seems it should interact with more in the mod than it currently does.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

You've covered pretty much all the major features in my list, but I've got two minor things that jump out at me:

- The hopper minecart discussed a few months back kind of adds a finishing touch to the mechanical and rail system. I can understand if you would rather hold that in reserve for RTH.

- Nether sludge production.

I appreciate your efforts to tie things up.
Mudkipz

Post by Mudkipz »

The only loose ends I can think of that is not on that list are the inter-dimensional animals.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Two things: Chopping blocks and autoconnected microblocks.

micro blocks: Since the introduction of autoconnected moulding, there seems to be a lack of autoconnected sidings.

chopping blocks: I had to laugh when I crafted them the first time, because it looked like it is steves own blood. But it is somehow weird that there is no clean version.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I think you wanted to make pottery (and Soul Urn) production fully automatic by adding some way to farm clay.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Are you certain about that, Itamarcu? I remember FC gave us a way to make clay from nether sludge, but quickly removed it as it felt rather over powered. I don't know if anything has changed since then, but that is what I remember.

As for loose ends, the things that jump to my mind first have all been mentioned already. But if I find anything, I'll be sure to let you know.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

CycloneSP wrote:Are you certain about that, Itamarcu? I remember FC gave us a way to make clay from nether sludge, but quickly removed it as it felt rather over powered. I don't know if anything has changed since then, but that is what I remember.

As for loose ends, the things that jump to my mind first have all been mentioned already. But if I find anything, I'll be sure to let you know.
I don't think this is the correct palce to get into these kinds of discussions, but I remember the main argument arond removing it was because it was easier to automate nether sludge production than to gather clay, therefore eliminating a lot of initial exploration to gather it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

embirrim wrote: I don't think this is the correct palce to get into these kinds of discussions, but I remember the main argument arond removing it was because it was easier to automate nether sludge production than to gather clay, therefore eliminating a lot of initial exploration to gather it.
That was indeed my argument. Now. No more off topic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, this isn't working.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah... I think it's just a matter of people not really being able to judge what constitutes a loose end vs what is a potential point of expansion. Personally I feel like your mod has always felt generally complete and doesn't leave a lot of loose ends lying around. Overall I think you're the only person who can effectively judge what is and isn't a loose end. That's why I didn't have anything to post here even though our thoughts usually more or less match up.