[Spoilers] Hardcore melons!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
STrRedWolf

Re: [Spoilers] Hardcore melons!

Post by STrRedWolf »

Glad to hear that the torches work nicely to "itemize" the melons like sand... and that chickens can feed off of them. Although... how does one keep the cluckheads in one place? I keep finding chickens escaping, especially after laying eggs.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Ouch, this breaks my huge piston based pumpkin farm.. :P
Do you want an option to disable it? Nobody has requested that yet, and if it's more trouble than it's worth for some people in terms of breaking builds I will put it in.

It is a bit of a pain in the ass to implement in this case though, so please only ask if you're going to use it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tom_savage wrote: This. I saw this change and was in my Tester World seeing if I could get an automelon-seed maker for my chickens. I had them dropping into a hopper for a while before I was like...WTF AM I DOING?! I can just melon bomb my chickens!!!!
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll be adding a small amount of damage to when the melons drop on something to prevent that scenario ;)
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

Putting a sign over the chickens seems to prevent that. Personnaly, I have chickens floating in flowing water so they're not directly underneath my melon dropper. But I use the sign to break the melon before it hits the water.
phamtrinli

Post by phamtrinli »

DaveYanakov wrote:Have you actually tried that? Falling blocks demolish water sources and having even one flowing water will create undertow that prevents floatation.
Yes.

A melon can strike a hard surface and shatter without removing the source block it is occupying at the time.

I have tested several possible configurations (multiple water sources stacked, or only the one just above the floor) the melon shatters leaving the water blocks intact.
This allows the seeds to float upwards.

This makes egg farming a tad easy. A set of hoppers at the bottom of a village well and blocks on pistons to act as a destruction platform withdrawn on a timer to allow eggs to pass. (Melons will strike the hoppers and water flow will then cause seeds to be eaten by hopper)

Seeds will scatter through 1 layer of blocks to air, but a wall 2 blocks wide (not glass) prevents seed spread. (only required at melon strike area)

This strikes me as a possible exploit, I will also post in the appropriate area.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nah, it's cool. Don't repost as I'm actively following this thread.

Will correct that. I'm about to change them so they don't shatter in water anyways.
BobSlingblade679

I just have a hole 90 degrees from the melon plant (not block) and use a piston with a detector block to push it over the hole. That way you don't need a timer.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: Do you want an option to disable it? Nobody has requested that yet, and if it's more trouble than it's worth for some people in terms of breaking builds I will put it in.

It is a bit of a pain in the ass to implement in this case though, so please only ask if you're going to use it.

No man, I'd never ask something just for personal use, I'm not that selfish :]

My farm is fixable I think, I just have to replace some glass with saws, and tweak some delays, it will just be less pretty :P

I'm a bit curious as to why you included pumpkins in HC melons, since their only use is aesthetic in nature, my guess is consistency, am I right? :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I'm a bit curious as to why you included pumpkins in HC melons, since their only use is aesthetic in nature, my guess is consistency, am I right? :]
Yup, pretty much, and given that this was based on a request to be able to able to automatically harvest seeds from melons and pumpkins to feed to chickens.

In the end, I'll be putting in the option anyways. I thought of a method to do it relatively painlessly, and it's obvious this is breaking builds for a number of people, so I'll give them the option as to whether or not they wish to use it. I get the impression though that with the automation potential here for building stuff out of melons, that this will become a rather popular feature.

I also just realized that it allows for automated golem production, and I may actually make a few more small changes to further facilitate that as I think making a device to produce iron golems off of the output of a mob-trap would be particularly cool. Kinda like a machine assembling and spitting out robots :)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Ooo! I like the sound of an auto golem generator. -nix- (was gonna say sumthin but due to my fuzzy memory concerning crucibles, block dispensers, and iron blocks, I decided not to.)
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

FlowerChild wrote: I also just realized that it allows for automated golem production, and I may actually make a few more small changes to further facilitate that as I think making a device to produce iron golems off of the output of a mob-trap would be particularly cool. Kinda like a machine assembling and spitting out robots :)
O.O
So then its possible that we will be able to fully automate the production of robotic armies to fight off the wither and/or enderdragon and his ender-minions? Time to work on the factory :D
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Let's not forget invading the nether with a snowmen army!

Come my horde! Tonight, we attack!!!

EDIT: if yer rich enough, you can coat said army in fire proof potions and be invincible! Muahahahaha

Detritus

Post by Detritus »

The Golem Trust will have things to say about that...
EDIT: Post 200, wish I'd used it more constructively... :P
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Lol!
Iron golem farm feeding into, you guessed it, an iron golem producer. Someone has to build this :P
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
BobSlingblade679

So, I kinda want to build this iron golem thing but I don't know how to automate the conversion of iron ingots to blocks. I tried a BD thinking that would work but no dice. Is this possible, yet?
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Snow golems are possible iirc, but iron golems are currently impossible.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

but here is the true question: Why would we need to automate the production of iron golems?

If it is to farm them, then it would be stupid for the severe lose of iron that would entail

is it to fight stuff? Not really, cuz you should be more than capable of dispatching whatever crosses you with a few swings of your sfs battle axe. (maybe you could use it to fight the wither, but... meh)

so the only thing I can see here is 'coolness' it is just cool, but there is really no need atm.

also melons. Melons are good. (getting back on topic)

finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:Kinda like a machine assembling and spitting out robots :)
Skynet + Minecraft.

Skycraft?
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

O.o A thought just struck me. If FC does implement the feature of melons not breaking in water, then we now have an effective(tho slow) method of filling in large bodies of water!

Just think! How many times have you been scoping the land for the 'ideal' location only to find a large body of water in your way? Or what about those that enjoy the benefits of building in an ocean biome for easy mob farms? Until now, it has always been an extremely laborious and resource expensive process to fill in such large bodies of water that in the end, it was usually not worth the effort. But now, with a renewable gravity affected block, this is no longer the case!

(okay, okay, so you -could- have always used a cobble blaster, but those things were so resource expensive that it really wasn't saving you much at all.)

BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I had a pretty hard time trying to reliably make a seed assembly line with them, it seems that even when you surround the landing site with blocks seeds will escape through the walls.

Also, the name "Melon Pusher" is awesome, just thought I'd point that out.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Sorry for the necro but I have done some investigation and have get to the following conclusions:

- A 3x3 area full of hoppers surrounded by a 1-width wall will be enough to recollect all the seeds from mellons or pumpkins.
- Melons give 5 seeds when breaking while pumpkins only give 4, and as they seem to grow at the same speed, melon farms are better, but also harder to find the initial seeds at the start, so pumpkins can be a good substitute for the first steps until you can change the plant. The rest of the set up is the same.
- Seeds can be pushed by a block attached to a sticky piston.

For collecting all the seeds, an array like this:
[_][_][_][_]
[_][_]
[_][-][-][-][_]
[-][H][-]
[_][-][-][-][B][_]
[_][B][B][B][B][B][_]
[_][_][_][_]

where:
[B] Any solid block
[_] Air
[-] Air with a block below it
Sticky piston
[H] Air block with a hopper below it

Steps:
1- The melons drop in the hopper.
2- The top and bottom sticky rows activate
3- The last two sticky pistons activate with some delay.
4- Retract all pistons as you like.

NOTE: Take into account that you will need to build the walls a bit higher than that so that seeds dont jump over them.

Chicken farm application: Moving the hopper one block down will allow to mechanically power it to feed a chicken farm.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Don't think that's a necro, it's actually rather useful info. I'll try to add that to the wiki if I get a chance and/or nobody else does it before me :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Further research has shown that a 4 high 1 wide wall keeps them all inside. A 3 high 1 wide wall will keep them all most of the time but some will be able to jump over the wall. Making a ceiling with a single hole for the melons to pass through could also solve this problem but I haven't tested it.

S.W.