Goo - A Stillwater replacement

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Stormweaver

Goo - A Stillwater replacement

Post by Stormweaver »

Somewhere between wondering about what slimes were, bemoaning the inability to make stillwater lakes in HCB mode, thinking about the possibilities of BTW2 and various other bits of fluff, this idea somehow spawned. Less of an 'I want this in minecraft' than 'would this work in the context of HCB' discussion really.

The thought is, would a block, functionally identical to Still water but lacking the ability to spread in any form, benefit the game? Textured to look like water (if maybe with a humorous twist) it could be used to make boatways, canals, moats and sewers from an aesthetic perspective, fall damage cushions, mob sorting mechanisms, light-dimming windows from a gameplay perspective...and if given an all-or nothing approach in regards to hardcore bouy, shouldn't be able to be abused in sorting mechanisms of any kind.

I figured I should get the idea out of my head sooner rather than later. Any thoughts?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
muggsbud

Re: Goo - A Stillwater replacement

Post by muggsbud »

I seriously doubt it as this would allow for mobivators again. What's worse is that you don't even need the signs any more.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I do agree that a means of creating a water pathway for boats or water decoration that doesn't undermine HCB would be nice. It could probably be done well, but I'm not sure how and unless this liquid served another major mod purpose I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort just for canals.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

A translucent solid block that interacts with entities like water sounds like a great idea for a mod, just not so much this one.
Better is the enemy of Good
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

DaveYanakov wrote:A translucent solid block that interacts with entities like water sounds like a great idea for a mod, just not so much this one.
Agreed. While it would be cool to have this, it starts to undermine HCB, and will put FC on a slippery slope in that more and more water-like elements will be requested, until HCB is effectively completely obsolete.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, it's an idea I've been conceptually playing around with a lot myself.

There's certain properties of water that I find lacking in HCB, and which I have had features planned around, and largely it comes down to the ability to create still bodies of water.

So yeah man, good idea. I'm just not certain this will make it into BTW or whether I'll leave dealing with this kind of thing to RTH.

Anyways, will lock it down from there. Buy yeah: I'm on it.