What are you reading?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
CrimsonStorm

What are you reading?

Post by CrimsonStorm »

I've always enjoyed books and reading, though the past few years have felt too busy for me to dedicate as much time as I would like to this particular hobby. More recently though, somewhat due to my current literature class and somewhat due to a shifting of my own interests I've gotten back into the habit and am reminded of how much I enjoy it. I've recently read A Clockwork Orange, American Gods, on top of some other more "fun" stuff like The Name of the Wind for the first time, and really enjoyed all of those.

My most recent discovery, though, was Haruki Murakami and his wonderful wonderful writing. So far I've read After Dark and Norwegian Wood, and both resonated with me on more levels than I can describe. It might just be a testament to my current state of mind, but I think it's been a long while since anything has made me think so much as Norwegian Wood, both in terms of how I see myself and how I perceive connections between people. It's hard to put into words, but I would highly recommend anything by him.

So, to open this up for discussion: What are you all reading, or have you read recently that you really liked or want to share? Any particular recommendations, warnings, or just thoughts in general?
KittenToaster

Re: What are you reading?

Post by KittenToaster »

You may laugh at this ... Alice in Wonderland but reading it sparks your imagination. :)

Life of Pi was a good read and a book I returned to when I noticed there was a film due out in mid December. I'm wondering how it will be narrated, it contains no dialogue as its basically just Pi's thoughts. The twist at the end of the book is obvious but symbolizes life and peoples opinions of others so well.

If all that fails there is plenty to read here
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Right now I'm reading Game of Thrones, Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, and the entire SCP database (I'm at 358 currently). I don't have a proper reading light at the moment, and since I much prefer reading in bed, I haven't read a whole lot lately. The only reason I've made any progress at all in GoT or the Joe Hill book is because my 'net sucks and goes down a lot and I need something to do while I wait.

The SCP foundation is a fun read for the really creepy entries, even if you have to wade through quite a bit of crap to find them.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I just finished a modern adaptation of Carmen.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

The Eisenhorn Omnibus.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

I am reading a SciFi series called "Perry Rhodan". Right now I am reading book 52 out of 132(at the moment) .
The authors of the series keep adding new books and there probali will be no end. As far as I know it's only available in german, atleast the authors are all german and the wiki sasy the english support only lastet from 1969 till 1979.
The books I read are summaries of ~50 pages long "minibooks".
Up to minibook 126 they translated it to englisch thats around book 14. There are also many minibooks wich are still not converted to "real" books - all to gether there are over 2500 minibooks and the books I read reach until the 1000th minibook (at book 132).
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I've been reading the Discworld series in the order in which they were released - so far, I've reached the end of "Interesting Times". I've enjoyed them so far, mostly because Pratchett likes to use a ton of puns and references.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Recently i stopped reading and started listening. http://www.audible.com/ is awesome and there are so many cool books to listen to. Im listening to World War Z and playing Minecraft, its a really sureal experience.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

John Le Carre, currently the Honourable School Boy.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin, was in mood for some good old school fantasy.
SufficientAnonymity

Post by SufficientAnonymity »

I've had Nostromo (Joseph Conrad) on the go for a while now - great book, but I keep getting sidetracked to other material - the most recent distraction being Bad Pharma, by Ben Goldacre (who, incidentally, I met on Wednesday, and is awesome).
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I got into reading this guy's stuff while reading the Wheel of Time, and his magic is just plain cool.

Also partway through A Song of Ice and Fire (A Feast for Crows?), and I just reread The Hobbit. Can't wait for that movie :)
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Double K if webcomics count, otherwise a decent length Harry Potter fanfiction, Rune Master which the author was kind enough to send me in a single text file - best use of free school printing ever, saved myself about 50 pages of ink.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

I just finished the Seven Realms Novel Series by Cinda Williams Chima. She's undoubtedly my favorite author and always writes quality fantasy novels.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin, was in mood for some good old school fantasy.
The entire Earthsea Cycle is just great. I've read AWoE probably nine times in my life.

Also, I happen to agree Ursula's views on fantasy and writing in general.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

i just ended the hitcher guide to the galaxy series, and now i'm reding Skulduggery Pleasant series
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

I'm reading currently "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco in Spanish and is awesome. if you enjoy medieval settings (no high-fantasy), I love how credible and interesting the life on the abbey and the characters are portrayed. kinda reminded me how i felt when reading Narcissus and Goldmund of Herman Hesse.

been interested in starting reading the Vampire Hunter D Saga. have someone read it? it's English a good translation?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Currently re-reading and taking extensive notes on the Elenium trilogy by David Eddings. Creative sparks be flying...
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

All of the harry potter's. Just finished chamber of secrets :D
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

duartemad wrote:All of the harry potter's. Just finished chamber of secrets :D
Am going to be doing that for a fanfiction I'll be writing. Basic summary: What happens if you condense all seven books into 2/3 years?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Foxy Boxes wrote:
duartemad wrote:All of the harry potter's. Just finished chamber of secrets :D
Am going to be doing that for a fanfiction I'll be writing. Basic summary: What happens if you condense all seven books into 2/3 years?
In my view that would not work. Part of the point of having the story going for 7 years is to see hermione, ron and harry growing up.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Foxy Boxes wrote:Am going to be doing that for a fanfiction I'll be writing. Basic summary: What happens if you condense all seven books into 2/3 years?
The outcome depends on whether or not time turners are involved ... ;)

Back on topic, anything in {} curly brackets are spoiler-free notes on them.

Not currently reading them, but my favourite books of all time are Enduring Love by Ian McEwan {The opening will haunt you forever, and you won't know what to believe as you're reading it}, The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger {Who doesn't love a bit of time-travel done right?}, and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak {A story told by Death}.

I also really enjoyed reading Les Miserables {Seriously, if you like the musical, this is a must}, several times (all 365 chapters!) {Read it, it's a chapter a day, it's fine!}, though I read it as an English translation due to the fact that my French extends as far as "I have the Eiffel Tower in my trousers for you" ...

Others that are particularly memorable for being good reads are One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night by Christopher Brookmyre (nothing to do with the great nonsense poem) {Dark but funny. I'm still laughing at sections, and I read it 2 or 3 years ago}, When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson {Don't read it if you don't like separate character threads that are stories in themselves :P}, and Next by Michael Crichton {He brought us ER and Jurassic Park. The least you can do is give this one a shot, you won't regret it!}.

That ... was more than I was intending to write, and more recommendations than I was intending to make. But they are all worth reading!
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

Ooh!! I just read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley and "False Memory" by Dean Koontz right now im reading "Life of Pi" and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
thygrrr

Post by thygrrr »

Last Graphic Novels: Nordguard (awesome), The Dark Knight Returns

Last Fiction Books: Accelerando (awesome), Life of Pi, Idoru (awesome), Snow Crash

Last Nonfiction Books: Head First Design Patterns (awesome), The Pragmatic Programmer

But I rarely get to read a full book anymore. I'll read two or so in my christmas vacation if I get lucky.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Isaac Asimov and Larry Niven are fantastic authors if you like semi-realistic science fiction with some social/psychological commentary :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?