Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Isn't 'voting' for bug fixes just going to result in the exploits...not being fixed?

...wuthfu.
Yeah...it's just silly. It also has nothing to do with prioritizing based on time it will take to fix. Just silly overall.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

I have seen voting based bug reporting work well - Arcen Games, an indie company I have a lot of respect for, does it. However, they also understand its limitations - it is a great way to narrow down which bugs most interrupt the play experience of the most people. And that's about all it tells you.

So Arcen uses the bug tracker to get an idea of which bugs are most bothering people, but also is very good at prioritizing their time, knowing when to ignore the community, etc. Arcen also has an unusually helpful community (exploits get voted up as fast or faster than bugs in many cases, for example).

MineCraft... has ADD developers and an ADHD, super-needy community. I do not forsee this choice working as well for them.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

@MaxAstro: Another thing, the good people at Arcen actually play their own games once in a while. That's a huge difference right there.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

Minecraft is a fun game, and they _made_ it! You would think they would spend all their free time on it, kinda like we do. :P
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

This isn't the first time voting has been used in this fashion. Second Life (by Linden Labs) uses JIRA as well in this fashion.

Also, since Bugzilla has this capability (if a bit more limited, you get a block of votes to use), Mozilla Firefox and more are in this boat as well.
devak

Post by devak »

In theory, voting bugs up works because the most annoying bugs get fixed first.

Knowing mojang tho, i am not so sure it's great...
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

hmm, more bug fixes. https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/265821974721347584
Since there were new issues in 1.4.3, we will not update Minecraft yet. Instead, we'll post a 1.4.4 pre-release, probably tomorrow.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Stompinlama

Post by Stompinlama »

This stems from the developer not play-testing his own game.... seriously I wonder why he is the main developer. Though his skill as a programmer is enough, as a game designer I wonder sometimes...

All I can say about the voting bug system is at least there is a system, I'm not sure what there was before...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

From Jeb's twitter:
Since there were new issues in 1.4.3, we will not update Minecraft yet. Instead, we'll post a 1.4.4 pre-release, probably tomorrow.
Looks like I have a stay of execution on having to update again, and won't have to do so for another week. That makes me happy :)
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

And means you can get some more awesome content done without having to worry about updating ;)
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Just read an article from PC Gamer on The Future of Minecraft.

And another one on The Making of Minecraft.

Linked here for your reading pleasure.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

From Jeb's twitter:
Jeb wrote:FYI, Minecraft 1.4.4 will be officially released in about 24 hours (Wednesday at 15:00 CET)
Although hard to navigate, there's a summary of fixes for the 1.4.4 prerelease here.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

RezDev wrote:Just read an article from PC Gamer on The Future of Minecraft.
“For the iOS and Android version we’re always looking for how we can use the camera and the GPS,” says Daniel Kaplan, who handles business development at Mojang. “We’ve been thinking about trying to pixelate your surroundings using Google Maps data – it’ll be really cool to try to do it.”
Ok... now that would be pretty cool.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Life is starting to imitate art: Minecraft server on Arduino class hardware (with in-game toggle-able pins!):

http://hackaday.com/2012/11/16/avr-mine ... ual-world/

Here's the source code for those interested. Makes me want to port it over to Perl... or maybe DCPU-16. :D

https://github.com/cnlohr/avrcraft
CumuloNimbus10

Post by CumuloNimbus10 »

The schedule for Minecon has been posted. They say that everything will be live streamed as well.
http://mojang.com/2012/11/minecon-schedule/

There seems to be some interesting topics for some of the sessions, including "The Future of Mod API".
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Mojang has ported the Pocket Edition to... the Raspberry Pi.

Mojang and Raspberry Pi Foundation release Minecraft: Pi Edition.

For those who don't know what the Raspberry Pi is, or even looks like, have a byte of mine. They cost $35 each. The one on the right is the latest version of the Model B (512M ram, Secure Digital card storage, HDMI and Composite/Audio out, 2 USB, 1 Ethernet 10/100, GPIO expansion ports). The left one is the original, the 256M Model B. No model A yet (no Ethernet, 1 USB) but then everyone's getting the Model B.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

The 'Future of Minecraft' panel segment from minecon 2012.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/342571006?t=331m59s
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

So they actually have some infos to release at the MineCon ? Well, that's neat ! *gone watching*

EDITs with info :
- More focused updates every two months.
- 1.5 will be the "Redstone update" (not before christmas)
__ Will make redstone more predictable and consistent
__ Will change some timings on contraptions
__ Redstone signal strength will matter
__ Addition of a capacitor block (1*In / 1*Out, Output conditional on the input strengths (configurable))
__ Will permit different redstone strength applied by a pressure plate (They want to make redstone analogue)
__ Won't add tubes but will improve Minecarts (YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY) so that they are more practical. (fill/empty storage minecarts, freeriders unloader, linking minecarts)
__ Daylight detector, fireworks for new years eve ( maybe)
__ No New mobs
__ MIGHT ADD A NEW ORE THE NETHER IN ORDER TO MAKE THOSE NEW REDSTONE BLOCKS

EDIT 2 : sorry Mason, missed your post :-)
Last edited by Gormador on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

talking about 1.5 around 5:35.
  • Redstone changes
  • Should fix NESW bugs
  • Might change timings
  • Most BUD designs won't work anymore
  • Signal strength will matter
  • Capacitor Block, gives full output when output meets a certain strength.
  • Weighted pressure plate, more strength if more pressure. Can use for minecart chests to tell when full based on weight.
  • Improving minecarts - mostly about using storage minecarts to move items around. Improving that process.
  • Filling and emptying minecart chests
  • Track to unload people in carts, plus other stuff
  • Linking carts together so furnace cart is useful.
It's interesting to see them working on things that other mods have done before.

Questions
  • Probably add an ore to the nether
  • End changes after you kill the dragon, possibly.
Sorry guys... I couldn't handle listening to more of the questions. So uncomfortable watching people asking things, so awkward.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ugh. Well, at least I can stop watching - I was just starting my own list.

"Hey guys! You know that logic system you've been working with for two years? The really awesome and unique digital control system? LOL LETS MAKE IT ALL DIFFERENT" is not what I wanted to see in 1.5.

Ok, that might be an overreaction but...we need more challenges already, not more stuff to do things we can already do within reason.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Redstone update? Wow, that's one way to break EVERY FUCKING BUILD ever made (even the vanilla ones). Thanks mojang.
CumuloNimbus10

Post by CumuloNimbus10 »

At around 6:26:40 in that livestream, one of the people asked about mechanical devices being added to MC. He mentioned Better Than Wolves as an example.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Azdoine wrote:Redstone update? Wow, that's one way to break EVERY FUCKING BUILD ever made (even the vanilla ones). Thanks mojang.
There really has been only one thing I never ever ever wanted to see mojang change. That was Redstone. Not cool mojang. Don't fuck with my builds! I'm not even sure I understand what they want to do by having Redstone with variable strengths. Everything works based on off or on. This would have to be a significant rework of literally everything that uses Redstone in order to make any sense. Ugh. Thank god for FC.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Let's wait to see more info on this before flipping out guys. Perhaps signal strength is only relevant to new blocks they are also introducing or something, in which case, it won't affect existing builds.

I'll keep my fingers crossed anyways. I don't know wtf is up with this, but I definitely think we need more info.