Flower's Dev Diary (Week of November 12th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ferrus.Manus

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of November 12th)

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

devak wrote:My experience with sarcasm and such on the internet, is that the "it's sarcasm" clue has to be fairly obvious.

You see, 80% of our communication is body language. Sarcasm is a higher form of communication that does not translate well over the internet.
Also Poe's law.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh man...I just wanted to mention that I just had the mother of all fucking ideas.

I took my late-hangover nap...woke up...was having a coffee and cigarette, and suddenly something solidified for me that I had pondering in the background for months.

This is one of those fundamental building-block type ideas that typified the early development of the mod. Something so simple, but where the ramifications are absolutely staggering, and I have never seen a mod that does anything even close to it. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to this one, but I definitely need to start moving the mod towards it, as this absolutely needs to be done.

Anyways, of course I'm not willing to discuss specifics, but seriously...wow.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

You fuckin' tease :)
No vague musical hints this time around?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:You fuckin' tease :)
No vague musical hints this time around?
Hehe...I could do that.

Only the vaguest and most abstract of hints though. This one is WAY too good to potentially let the cat out of the bag before it's ready.

I apologize for the shitty video quality. It was the best I could find of the clip I was looking for:

Here's the song by itself at better quality, although I was really going for the actual video clip:

That scene was actually what first got me into Ministry around twenty years ago (one of those "man! That song is so cool! What the hell is that?!" moments), and I've been a fan of their music ever since. Very cool little low-budget Australian cyberpunk film (I used to be a big cyberpunk buff) if any of you are looking for something to watch. It's definitely campy, but some of the concepts and visuals in it are uber-cool.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I love you for the feature, yet I hate your teasing! Can't wait to see what it is, as I'm sure it'll be good!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Something... involving heads? Or... torture?

Help me, I'm scared and excited.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Hmm... This should be good :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hm...is this going to the top our the bottom of the todo list? :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

You teasing bastard! ;)

Now were are going to read every post you make until it is releases looking for hints. Let the next round of insanity begin.
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

perchance a way to collect placenta and smear it on the heads of our fallen enemies to make some sort of mystic armor?(joke)
these references are always so vauge, at least i get to learn more music.
at any rate, im scare-oused
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Sarudak wrote:Hm...is this going to the top our the bottom of the todo list? :)
Probably the top, but we won't even realise what it is or when it was released until 6 months from now.

"Hmm... What happens if we mix Feature A & B?"
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Sarudak wrote:Hm...is this going to the top or the bottom of the todo list? :)
The good news is, it's gonna be high on FC's todo list. The bad news is, this is what his todo list looks like nowadays.
Seriously though, I'm so excited about this incoming addition to the mod and I don't even know what it is yet!
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Hm...is this going to the top our the bottom of the todo list? :)
I'll select option "c" here, and say "the middle" :)

Seriously though, I really want to do this thing, but I need to lay some groundwork with other features I already had planned. In terms of gameplay, this will be something that builds upon other features coming for the mod, and I don't want to just shove it in right now (although I technically could) as it just wouldn't fit.

HOWEVER it does act as a huge source of inspiration to me to push forward on certain plans, and thus will likely result in a rather massive reordering of my priorities :)
logorouge wrote: The good news is, it's gonna be high on FC's todo list. The bad news is, this is what his todo list looks like nowadays.
Lol! Too true. I have a friend that jokes I need to hire a secretary whenever they see the massive pile of notes around my computer :)
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

FlowerChild wrote: HOWEVER it does act as a huge source of inspiration to me to push forward on certain plans, and thus will likely result in a rather massive reordering of my priorities :)
So you mean we might get the phases in proper order? ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Azdoine wrote: So you mean we might get the phases in proper order? ;)
Erm...don't jump to any conclusions :)

I think you all know by now that my development schedule is highly flexible and ever changing. The only thing you know for certain is that you'll continue to constantly get new stuff. What precisely that new stuff will be and when a particular feature will arrive is anybody's guess ;)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Oh man. You have so many ideas... and whenever they get incorporated into the mod its always awesome. Seriously, I don't know how you manage to produce such a great quality game design (well, must be with lot's of thinking and preparation and notes taking and coffee and... yourself (big component here IMO)).
For that and other thing, I have huge respect for you and your work.

Now, keep the teasing coming (even when not really related) : this is good music ^^
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
shifty

Post by shifty »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh man...I just wanted to mention that I just had the mother of all fucking ideas.

I took my late-hangover nap...woke up...was having a coffee and cigarette, and suddenly something solidified for me that I had pondering in the background for months.

This is one of those fundamental building-block type ideas that typified the early development of the mod. Something so simple, but where the ramifications are absolutely staggering, and I have never seen a mod that does anything even close to it. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to this one, but I definitely need to start moving the mod towards it, as this absolutely needs to be done.

Anyways, of course I'm not willing to discuss specifics, but seriously...wow.
You've said a lot without saying anything at all :P What ever it is I'm looking forward to it you magnificent tease.
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

I used to listen to GWAR all the time and Ministry has always been awesome.
Can't wait for the new ideas to flow in the game.
Nothing as fun as figuring out the new features and how they can mess with you. :)
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Aha! We have the beginnings of constructive feedback about the hardcore changes, on MCF no less!

I think the series of posts leading up to the following is important enough to point it out here as well:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... ry19221817

If people have specific issues with the hardcore changes, in terms of things they'd like to see tweaked/refined, THAT is far more constructive to be discussing than trying to convince me that I should just eliminate them entirely.

Something to keep in mind.
wickedpillow

Post by wickedpillow »

Now my curiosity has been fully enticed from seeing GWAR's name posted as a hint, and i may check out ministry now as well

Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

So, from what we've seen...we're back to the phases again, but we're not! This is going to be fun.

Take your time, FC. For most of us, you're the "unofficial" MC developer, and I think everyone here understands (or should, at least) all the effort you put into this thing you call "mod". Personally, I think it's more than that. And more than a few might agree with me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, 1.4.5 is out, and in a pleasant surprise, MCP and Modloader are already updated to it.

Guess it's time for me to get back to porting. Oooo...aaahhh...gimme some more of that porting goodness. I just can't get enough.

On the bright side, this should be a particularly easy one.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Glad to hear it's going to be lightweight. Your efforts to keep up with the most recent minecraft version is always appreciated.

Hopefully this is the last one for a while, I know updating to new versions always cuts into your creative time. I'm really intrigued by this idea you mentioned a few days back!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote: Hopefully this is the last one for a while, I know updating to new versions always cuts into your creative time. I'm really intrigued by this idea you mentioned a few days back!
I doubt 1.4.5 will "stick" man, especially considering they messed up one out of the two bug fixes it was supposed to contain.

And yeah, these version updates really put a kink in my usual development plans. I really wish they'd get their act together with this stuff, but I doubt that's going to happen.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Is that the particle thing or did they mess up something else?