Flower's Dev Diary (Week of November 12th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
magikeh

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of November 12th)

Post by magikeh »

Fascinating! an added bonus to the radius of the beacon being enlarged to 144 will allow players to set one in the middle of their mobtrap, then they would know how far away caves are that affect their spawn rates.

More Explanation
Show
The player would set the beacon in the middle of their mob spawner, thus creating a radius of effect 144 blocks in the x and y range. Then the player could goto caves that need to be lit up due to potential limiting of spawn rates (at the original mob spawner) Once the effect wears off the player knows they are 144+ away from the beacon/Mob Spawner and therefore any area where they are not affected by the beacon they need not worry about lighting the caves up.

SCIENCE!! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:The drastic change in peoples opinions when you are giving them more power is. . .interesting.
Hehe...too true man :)
magikeh wrote:Fascinating! an added bonus to the radius of the beacon being enlarged to 144 will allow players to set one in the middle of their mobtrap, then they would know how far away caves are that affect their spawn rates.
Well, it's unlikely I'll be going for precisely 144, that's just the area I want to make sure is covered. I think it more likely I'll pick a value like 160 to round it off, and go for a geometric progression to the distance per level (e.g. 20, 40, 80, 160).

You'll still be able to use it to the same effect that you describe, just with the knowledge that you may be going a chunk beyond the limit, which is probably wise anyways given you'll likely want to move around in your base and not sit in the precise center of your mob-trap all the time.

And btw guys, you don't want 144 or whatever lit up around your mob trap, but rather 144 *around the player* in order to limit spawns. In other words, what you really want that border to be centered around is your own center of activity within your own base. Just a random mob-trap building tip there ;)
Six

Post by Six »

walker_boh_65 wrote:The drastic change in peoples opinions when you are giving them more power is. . .interesting.
More power, but at a much greater cost. To get some of the powerups, instead of 164 iron blocks, it'll be 164 diamond blocks. Or if you're a masochist, 164 SFS blocks (and I thought the 16 for the device was a huge amount..).
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think getting the diamond blocks would be rougher than getting the SFS blocks... We've already aquired almost a stack of blocks without full automation. However we've barely got half a stack of diamond blocks even after significant searching...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote: More power, but at a much greater cost. To get some of the powerups, instead of 164 iron blocks, it'll be 164 diamond blocks. Or if you're a masochist, 164 SFS blocks (and I thought the 16 for the device was a huge amount..).
True...but compare it to this scenario:

What if I boosted the power in one release to extend the range, then a few releases later, made them material specific to increase the cost?

I suspect one scenario has me painted as a hero, while the other paints me as a villain, even though the end result is the same.

Anyways, I think Walker was just making a point about public perception that I happen to agree with. The general public (not really talking about people on the forums here) will love you if they think you are giving them more power, and hate you if they think you're taking it away. Thus If you base your design decisions on how popular a decision will be, you can only go in one direction: more power. The thing is, you can't "balance" anything if you can only add weight to one side of the scales, so it ultimately only leads to poor design.

I think that's a trap that many mods, and MC itself as of late, fall into.

With regards to the 164 SFS Steel Blocks, yup, it's entirely mental :)

However, I think that's a good thing. Having insane goals that you may never even accomplish to pursue gives you a sense of overall purpose within the game that may have many subtle (and positive ramifications). For example, you might not be so inclined to pass by iron you see in a cliff face if you eventually want to achieve that goal.

Same could be said for something like lapis (which I definitely want to make one of the material types). Despite my efforts with the Detector and Buddy blocks, IMO, it's still a fairly useless resource that gives a very "meh" reaction when you come across it. The beacons offer the potential for giving it some real value in the late game.
Bluephoenix49

Post by Bluephoenix49 »

Do you plan to Keep Beacons non-functional in the Nether?
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

Bluephoenix49 wrote:Do you plan to Keep Beacons non-functional in the Nether?
the nether is supposed to be hell, so i doubt it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the lore involved the sun, moon and stars somehow.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Bluephoenix49 wrote:Do you plan to Keep Beacons non-functional in the Nether?
I've actually seen quite a few posts on reddit saying Beacons do work in the nether, provided they have at least 16 blocks of air above them. I'm not 100% sure if it's correct, but just trying to put the heads-up out there, just in case FC doesn't know. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Pseudosavior wrote: I've actually seen quite a few posts on reddit saying Beacons do work in the nether, provided they have at least 16 blocks of air above them. I'm not 100% sure if it's correct, but just trying to put the heads-up out there, just in case FC doesn't know. :)
I know. However, if you read the wiki entry, it looks like that may be a bug.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hey, sweet: Modloader has updated to 1.4.4. Wasn't at all expecting that to happen so soon.

Guess it's time for me to get to work on the update :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Maybe the love BTW people had been giving the modloader thread paid off?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW guys, the only new issue I have on my radar right now with the 1.4.4 port is the whole magic item elevator thing where items can warp upwards through a whole vertical column of blocks.

I'll definitely take care of that one before releasing anything for 1.4.4, as it seriously sodomizes anything to do with item transport in the mod, but have you guys noticed anything else that might be problematic?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote: but have you guys noticed anything else that might be problematic?
Fixed squid being able to spawn in very small containments of water
Fixed entities not being displayed when loading a world/respawning
Fixed entities not showing immediately after joining a world
Only things that stood out to me. Squid changes could conflict with yours.
And I recall entities loading early being a problem in smp anarchy as it was a dead give away for windmills.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hoo boy...just a random aside while I work on the update, but my plans for beacons just got way bigger and cooler than they were before.

This should be fun :)
SterlingRed wrote:Only things that stood out to me.
Cool, thanks man.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Not an outstanding issue, but water now eliminates ALL fall damage, regardless of depth ( if you fall from 100+ blocks into one layer of water with fences under it, you take no damage.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Small observation from the 1.4.4 code: Potato and Carrot growth rates are now reduced by neighboring plants, same as wheat.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Lame... I never really liked the way wheat growth was determined. I guess it's supposed to mimic row crop planting but the tilled land already looks like it's divided into rows internally. Besides row crop planting isn't inherently more productive. It's just convenient.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Lame... I never really liked the way wheat growth was determined. I guess it's supposed to mimic row crop planting but the tilled land already looks like it's divided into rows internally. Besides row crop planting isn't inherently more productive. It's just convenient.
Yup, I feel exactly the same way. Plus the rules themselves are rather counter intuitive and next to impossible to figure out without looking at the code, which is of course bad. I wrote a thread about them a very long time ago when I decided to dig into the code and try to figure out what was really going on with it (back when I created the Planters I think...which effectively turn off those rules).

Hence why Hemp never followed those rules. Even way back in the day when I created the plant I thought the whole wheat thing was a bad idea.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah it seems that they do turn off those rules. I was a bit surprised you didn't rip them out entirely when you did hardcore bone since I think you would have been editing the same blocks that those rules come from. I could be totally wrong though as I never looked at the code. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Yeah it seems that they do turn off those rules. I was a bit surprised you didn't rip them out entirely when you did hardcore bone since I think you would have been editing the same blocks that those rules come from. I could be totally wrong though as I never looked at the code. :)
Yeah, I just didn't really think about it, as I'm still relatively new to this "anything goes" approach to modding ;)

I've been modifying those base-class forever. At least back to Planters. Even if I'm already modifying a base class though, it still increases the maintenance cost of doing updates when I make further modifications to it. Not sure if it's really worth it in this case.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Yeah, I just didn't really think about it, as I'm still relatively new to this "anything goes" approach to modding ;)

I've been modifying those base-class forever. At least back to Planters. Even if I'm already modifying a base class though, it still increases the maintenance cost of doing updates when I make further modifications to it. Not sure if it's really worth it in this case.
Well maybe that's what you were thinking of at the time. :)

Although if Mojang does stop updating minecraft in the near future that would completely change the equation in terms of maintenance costs which would give you a much freer hand. :D
Six

Post by Six »

dawnraider wrote:Not an outstanding issue, but water now eliminates ALL fall damage, regardless of depth ( if you fall from 100+ blocks into one layer of water with fences under it, you take no damage.
Wow, that actually made it to release? I saw videos on it for the pre-release, but assumed it would be changed. It might have something to do with the fact they 'fixed' the random fall damage from lag.

Couple other things I noted in redstonehelper's change log:
Fixed the anvil's hitbox being wrong.
Fixed anvils not maintaining their orientation and damage while falling.
Think FC put these in already during the vanilla anvil update.
Fixed water currents being too strong.
Fixed the beacon's effects still being very intrusive when the player is under the beacon.<EDIT> Apparently the beacon thing was actually "Beacon particles show if below beacon".
Not sure what the details on these are exactly, but I'd guess the water current thing is to do with the undertow making it hard for players to swim up sometimes? Hopefully it doesn't cause problem with mob drowning or item floating.
Squids now suffocate on land
This last one jumped out at me just because it gives the possibility for a sawless squid farm, with them simply falling though water onto a hopper.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

quick question about the beacon again, when you say a range of 160 (or what ever you choose) does that mean 160 blocks in every direction from the beacon? or 160 over all so 80 blocks in all directions form the beacon?

Edit: derp, i feel like a dummy now :/ guess i missed the "around the player /beacon" part.
Last edited by odranoel on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

odranoel wrote:quick question about the beacon again, when you say a range of 160 (or what ever you choose) does that mean 160 blocks in every direction from the beacon? or 160 over all so 80 blocks in all directions form the beacon?
If you read my statements on the subject, the answer to that question is already clear.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I do believe I'm done with the client side port to 1.4.4. Just spent some time testing and everything seems to be working just fine.

Took me about 6 hours, which is definitely more than I expected, mainly because some of the basic block placement code in MC underwent a rather substantial change to the way it works, so it required me to refactor a number of mod blocks as part of the port.

Anyways, that just leaves me with fixing up that magic item elevator silliness, then porting over to the server (which should be rather straightforward given the changes I made to facilitate that process last time I updated).

I was originally hoping to get this out tonight, but I'm pretty burnt out now so I'll leave those items until tomorrow.