Mobs not dropping items they've picked up

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
kaos78414

Mobs not dropping items they've picked up

Post by kaos78414 »

From the v4.31 change log:
Changed mobs so that they'll drop any carried equipment regardless of whether they are killed by the player or another source.
I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly, but it seems like that should mean if a mob is able to pick something up, then when we kill it it should drop it, right? If not then we can close this up.

Anyway, I had noticed that mobs not dropping what they pick up can interfere with mob traps. I have a drop trap - the mobs are dropped onto a floor, and every so often (about 1 minute), the floor opens up to drop the items and dragon orbs onto a water flow. The problem is that mobs are sometimes able to pick up some of the other drops (heads, armor, arcane scrolls etc.) right before they hit the floor, and when they die they don't drop whatever it was they picked up. I've seen this behavior a few times now, but only really took notice when I threw a mattock in there to test if I was losing any items to HC Buoy - a zombie fell on the mattock, picked it up, and died without dropping it. I think this is severely affecting the output of that mob trap, and after having it operational for several days now, I've yet to get a single arcane scroll from 5 spawning floors. I can only assume this is why.

Again, I don't know if this is a bug, that's why I posted here. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.
Elevatator

Re: Mobs not dropping items they've picked up

Post by Elevatator »

As far as I know it just means that equipped armor does count as a rare drop. The thing with items that are picked up and not dropped by the mobs sounds like an issue.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
KenLong

Post by KenLong »

I remember reading about a bug in vanilla 1.4.2 where zombies and skeletons with the capability of picking stuff up could still pick up items during their death animation (said items then disappearing forever). I believe it was fixed in 1.4.3
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Ah, I see it now on the list. "zombies can pick up items while dying"

Thanks man. I guess I don't have to worry about this once 1.4.4 is out (should also see a productivity boost to my drop trap, I'd think). :)