problems with a server on linux

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
gazelutza

problems with a server on linux

Post by gazelutza »

Hello.

I have 1 problem with the server....my friends can't see and can't connect to server...

I use a friend pc for the server. He make a virtual machine with linux...i instal java, the server all good...in ip server i use internal ip...for my friends to conect i give them external ip...i use the port 22565 and is add in firewall...no problem from there

So what is the problem?

PS: first time i use linux...he give me acces with putty
PS2:i can conect to the server and play
PS3:sorry for my english :D
EvanT

Re: problems with a server on linux

Post by EvanT »

So you can connect to the server. The server is running in a VM on a ?windows? PC in your LAN? Or is it the same PC you are running the client on?

Did you add a NAT rule to your router so the Port is forwarded to the Servers IP and Port like:
TCP 25565 -> 192.168.0.3:25565
The lag of the later would explain why you can connect but none of your friends can.
"We are not shooting for realism,.. we are shooting for awesome!"
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

So VM running on win 7....my pc is only the game client.....the server is in other city...the port forwarded is done....

server.properties
generator-settings=
allow-nether=true
level-name=Btw
enable-query=false
allow-flight=false
server-port=22565(the port is open and forwarded)
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=
server-ip=10.0.2.15(internal ip of his pc)
max-build-height=256
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=false
spawn-animals=true
snooper-enabled=true
hardcore=false
texture-pack=
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

OK so your connection does go over the internet as well.. Since your connection is working and your friend's isn't I would gues that the problem is on his side. I do not see the online setting in the server.properties but if your friend is using a "cracked" version of minecraft the server can not check his account so he can not connect.
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

1: no cracked version from him
2: if "not" or "yes" cracked version he have to see he server on...only to see the server in the servers list...but he dont see it
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

Is the Server port 22565 or 25565, there could be a problem if he is trying to connect to the wrong port.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

the port is the same 22565
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

Just to sort this out I would include another NAT rule like:
TCP 25565 -> [server's IP]:22565

So if his client is trying the standard port it should forward the request to the correct port.
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

don"t work...
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

Could you please PM the server credentials to me so I can have a different view port on this. (running out of possibilities here)
DaWhiskers

Post by DaWhiskers »

Can you try removing the IP from the server.properties file, I run a server from home, and as the router port forwards to the ip of the server, its not needed in the properties file.
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

i try it..don't work...don't work for him...for me work..i can connect with the ip or no ip on the server.properties
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Reading through this thread doesn't give me much of a hint towards your underlying problem, but one possibility is to try out a different Linux distro. There's also a chance that something in your friend's firewall settings may be the issue, perhaps somehow it's not allowing him to connect to the virtual machine? He also needs to use the server's specific local IP, not his own PC's, which may be a problem if he's obtaining the server IP through any means other than running ifconfig on the virtual box.

Though the idea of changing the Linux install seems a pretty drastic suggestion, I'll put forward that there is a Linux OS called MineOS CRUX which is specifically made for hosting an MC server. My roommate and I just set up such a server on a crummy old Dell I had lying around, and it runs absolutely beautifully and was exceedingly simple to set up properly. This OS has a much smaller ram footprint and cuts out a lot of the complicated, unnecessary fat of Linux (unnecessary for an MC server), and is therefore both better suited to being run on a virtual machine and easier to troubleshoot.
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

thx man....i'm noob to linux...linux is to hard for me...i give up with the server....i just wanna make a server for 2 players...and this problem is stop me...but why i can connect and they not....big Q......i'm an external player like my frend...
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

If you can connect to the server and he can not it's not the server. VMs are rather tricky too because you have to set up several forwarding rules which must all play together. Setting it up on a dedicated mashine would be a lot easier. But since the server is working and you can connect to it via internet I would say your friend is the "problem" but I tried to connect to it as well and I have no problems joning any other MC-Server while geting a "communication error" with yours every time. Are you sure that this IP is reachable and the route can establish a communication link? Is the Server running the actual JAVA-RTE and are all mods (I would try it with vanilla first and than adding the mods in the correct order BTW last) correctly installed. Is your friend using the same Mod setup (If client Mods are necessary).
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

One thing that hasn't come up yet.
Are you sure that you're connecting through the "unfiltered" internet to the server?
Since you set up putty to access the server, it may be possible that you connect through some kind of vpn tunnel. That would explain why noone but you can join and put the fault to somewhere in the firewall/port forwarding settings.
If you have access to a second pc that has no connection to the server, try joining the server in minecraft with that one.
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

1: is vanilla server
2: i will give him to conect to the putty and start the server and after i try to connect..
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

idont work...i delete linux and instal win7 on VM....still does not work
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

I still say that it's something on the route Internet <-> Router-NAT rule <-> Server <-> VM Network mirror <-> MC-Server-Deamon

If you just want two players, why do you not install the windows MC-server-version on your PC, configure a dynDNS for your dynamic IP, setup a NAT rule on your router and let your friend connect to your own IP/dynDNS-URL?

I don't get the need for a VM to run just the MC-server.

By the way if your MC-Server is vanilla why are you asking your questions on the Better Than Wolves Forum?
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

can"t make the server to my pc or my frend pc...we have lag...
TheShadow

Post by TheShadow »

back....my "gazelutza" accont was baned....so this is "new" me....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheShadow wrote:back....my "gazelutza" accont was baned....so this is "new" me....
<sigh>