Tamed wolves disappearing?

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
CrimsonStorm

Tamed wolves disappearing?

Post by CrimsonStorm »

In order to recover in case that the wolves at my base starved/turned hostile, I left a pair of tamed wolves in a sealed, lit hole, far enough from my base that they shouldn't have been in loaded chunks pretty much ever. However, when I went to check on/retrieve these wolves, they were completely gone.

Do tamed wolves go hungry even when they're not in loaded chunks? Do tamed wolves eventually "starve to death", or do they just turn hostile? Or is there some sort of bug around wolves here?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Tamed wolves disappearing?

Post by FlowerChild »

CrimsonStorm wrote: Do tamed wolves go hungry even when they're not in loaded chunks?
Yup.
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

FlowerChild wrote: Yup.
Hmm, okay. That's good to know, at least. Still somewhat confused about them completely disappearing, but I guess that's less relevant if that plan generally doesn't work.

There's somewhat of an... unintuitive thing there, where the best way to "save" wolves for later is by leaving them untamed, but I guess that inconsistency is better than the alternative (certainly untamed wolves going hungry outside of player-range would feel... uncontrollable, I guess? and therefore not very fun). It also makes death extra-painful once you have tamed wolves, since even if you have an auto-feed system set-up, they'll starve if you take too long to get back to your base. But I guess this is veering dangerously close to "design feedback" territory, so I'll stop here.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, just to clarify (had to check the code to remind myself): I don't think they starve to death in unloaded chunks, unless it's a spawn chunk. I remembered coming back to some very angry and/or dead wolves in an old base after a respawn, but I believe that was because they were in the spawn chunk. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any code in there that would be updating their hunger state in fully unloaded chunks.

It's been a long time since I looked at that, so perhaps someone else is more familiar with what might be causing your troubles, unless you inadvertently placed them in a spawn chunk.
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

No, this should have been quite a distance away from spawn.

Hmm, back to thinking this might actually be a (presumably vMC) bug. And unfortunately the sort that'd be hard to replicate.
ion

Post by ion »

you can keep tamed wolves in unloaded chunks with no problem with them disappearing. just make sure that they are fully fed when you leave them there.
also make sure that they aren't on the always loaded chunks at the original spawn point.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

And if I might inquire on this not-yet-necro thread, can someone help me understand how to identify a spawn chunk? I can locate the exact OS with a compass, is it a specific radius? Is there anything about spawn chunk behavior that is different from vMC baseline?
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

The minecraft wiki explains it pretty well:
https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn_chunk
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Awesome, so BTW treats these exactly the same with no changes?
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Not sure if how any of the mod's additions interact with this. Some things could have changed in vanilla since 1.5.2 too. But in general terms I think that pretty much sums it all.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

That's my question. Respectfully, I've deployed the googles and I've read the vMC wiki. I'm curious if this mod, specifically, does anything to alter vMC spawn chunk definitions or behavior.

I note in the vMC wiki that when puttering around in the nether (or the End, in fact) the overworld spawn chunks can be prevented from unloading by means of gimmicky techniques of firing arrows through a nether portal (since entities entering or departing the overworld will cause the spawn chunks to remain active.)

I'm perfectly willing to embrace the design challenge of collecting the arrows on the other side and using some sort of minecart / hopper system to shuttle them back to the overworld to create an endless perpetual loop that would have the side effect of allowing my crops and animals and automated workshop machinery constantly maturing and ticking and processing while I spend time designing and building a nether mobtrap (while also allowing some time for groth to spread outside of my mob-safed fortress.)

But eliminating gimmicky mechanisms like that is kinda sorta FC's thing, for better or worse. I'm not asking about how the stuff is hard coded, I'm asking if spelunking through years of release notes is a worthwhile thing to do for my research of how to understand this.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

MisterFister wrote:allowing my crops
No crops. as that page states, plant's wont grow when a player is not close enough
Not Processed

Some events don't get processed until they are in the chunk update range, which varies on the render distance if in singleplayer, and is controlled by an operator in multiplayer, which includes the following:

Blocks

Plants (including crops, mushrooms, sugar cane, cacti, and saplings) will not grow.
Leaves will not decay.
Grass and mycelium will not spread.
Ice will neither form nor melt.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Thank you for quoting the wiki to me.

Please allow someone else to reply who might be able to address the question I'm actually asking: What, if anything, is unique about BTW and how it treats the spawn chunks.

For the second time, I'm already familiar with what you've quoted to me. I read it. I understand it. I'm seeking further information that your answer is silent to. Thank you for your efforts.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Nothing is unique afaik. The only change that has ever been made iirc is to disable spawn protection in multiplayer because of HC spawn.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

To my knowledge there's no changes to spawn chunk behavior in the mod.

-You could have done a text search on the readme and figured that out quite easily. May I suggest both "spawn" and "chunk" as effective search terms?

-You're way off topic for this thread, and yes, it was a necro.

-You have a tendency to write walls of text (your chunk corruption thread being another) instead of asking straightforward questions, so even if someone is inclined to help you, context may be lost as their eyes glaze over and they're distracted by the spittle running down their chin.

-Given all that, getting snippy with someone attempting to help you is likely not the appropriate response.