[1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatcher

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
woeuntoyou

Re: [1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatc

Post by woeuntoyou »

I can't seem to run MCPatcher. Is anyone else having the same problem? I'm using the newest launcher.
An unexpected error occured.

java.io.IOException: Could not get list of launcher profiles

Check the Log tab for more information.
Spoiler
Show

Code: Select all

MCPatcher version is 5.0.3
JVM: Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_131 (64 bit)
Classpath: C:\Users\JC\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\mcpatcher-5.0.3.exe
Fetching https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json...
com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected a string but was BEGIN_OBJECT at line 44 column 20
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:176)
	at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:803)
	at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:741)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.JsonUtils.parseJson(JsonUtils.java:36)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.JsonUtils.parseJson(JsonUtils.java:21)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.launcher.profile.ProfileList.getProfileList(ProfileList.java:20)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.ProfileManager.rebuildProfileList(ProfileManager.java:175)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.ProfileManager.refresh(ProfileManager.java:69)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.MainForm$19.runImpl(MainForm.java:605)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.MainForm$UIWorker.run(MainForm.java:1095)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected a string but was BEGIN_OBJECT at line 44 column 20
	at com.google.gson.stream.JsonReader.nextString(JsonReader.java:821)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$13.read(TypeAdapters.java:358)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$13.read(TypeAdapters.java:346)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$1.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:93)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:172)
	... 9 more
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.ProfileManager.rebuildProfileList(ProfileManager.java:177)
Rob

Post by Rob »

woeuntoyou wrote:I can't seem to run MCPatcher. Is anyone else having the same problem? I'm using the newest launcher.
An unexpected error occured.

Check the Log tab for more information.
Spoiler
Show

Code: Select all

MCPatcher version is 5.0.3
JVM: Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_131 (64 bit)
Classpath: C:\Users\JC\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\mcpatcher-5.0.3.exe
Fetching https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json...
com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected a string but was BEGIN_OBJECT at line 44 column 20
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:176)
	at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:803)
	at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:741)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.JsonUtils.parseJson(JsonUtils.java:36)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.JsonUtils.parseJson(JsonUtils.java:21)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.launcher.profile.ProfileList.getProfileList(ProfileList.java:20)
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.ProfileManager.rebuildProfileList(ProfileManager.java:175)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected a string but was BEGIN_OBJECT at line 44 column 20
	at com.google.gson.stream.JsonReader.nextString(JsonReader.java:821)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$13.read(TypeAdapters.java:358)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$13.read(TypeAdapters.java:346)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$1.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:93)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:172)
	... 9 more
	at com.prupe.mcpatcher.ProfileManager.rebuildProfileList(ProfileManager.java:177)
There is a problem with the new launchers settings not meshing with MCPatcher.

Get the directions from a post in this very thread, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8506&start=25#p152390. ;)

Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Rob wrote:Hey Rawny. Yes the instructions still work, the only issue you may run into is if you are also playing a more recent version of minecraft. In that case, use the instructions in the post directly above yours to reset your minecraft settings files first, then follow the instructions in the OP.

If you have any issues, don't hesitate to ask.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rawny wrote:
Not sure if you needed anything, you just quoted me with nothing else said. :P
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Rob wrote:There is a problem with the new launchers settings not meshing with MCPatcher.

Get the directions from a post in this very thread, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8506&start=25#p152390. ;)

Is there a way for me to make it work with the new launcher? Maybe I could just install BTW manually, but the new launcher keeps reinstalling it to vanilla
Rob

Post by Rob »

woeuntoyou wrote:
Rob wrote:There is a problem with the new launchers settings not meshing with MCPatcher.

Is there a way for me to make it work with the new launcher? Maybe I could just install BTW manually, but the new launcher keeps reinstalling it to vanilla
The problem you are having is that you didn't edit the .json file before launching the game. If you do not remove everything between the designated 4 and last } (INCLUDING the comma(,) after the 4) Minecraft will replace your modded jar.

Once you have completed all the steps properly, you can use the newest launcher to play BTW with no issue. Unless you need to reinstall, then you must complete all the steps of this guide again.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have updated the OP with the instructions for downgrading the launcher to allow MCPatcher to work. Also noted that MCPatcher v5.0.2 is the superior version for Better Grass Enthusiasts. As always, any questions, just ask.

Enjoy. <3
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Rob wrote:The problem you are having is that you didn't edit the .json file before launching the game. If you do not remove everything between the designated 4 and last } (INCLUDING the comma(,) after the 4) Minecraft will replace your modded jar.

Once you have completed all the steps properly, you can use the newest launcher to play BTW with no issue. Unless you need to reinstall, then you must complete all the steps of this guide again.
First of all, thanks for the continued help.

I tried copy-pasting your code and deleting everything from 4 to the last } and now when I press Play on the launcher, it doesn't launch the game. I tried doing this on a clean reinstall of minecraft.
Rob

Post by Rob »

woeuntoyou wrote:
Rob wrote:The problem you are having is that you didn't edit the .json file before launching the game. If you do not remove everything between the designated 4 and last } (INCLUDING the comma(,) after the 4) Minecraft will replace your modded jar.

First of all, thanks for the continued help.

I tried copy-pasting your code and deleting everything from 4 to the last } and now when I press Play on the launcher, it doesn't launch the game. I tried doing this on a clean reinstall of minecraft.
You shouldn't be copy/pasting anything. The spoiler boxes are just showing you what the sections of the file look like.

Just scroll down to the very bottom of the .json file, and delete the section between the 4 and last }
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Rob wrote:You shouldn't be copy/pasting anything. The spoiler boxes are just showing you what the sections of the file look like.

Just scroll down to the very bottom of the .json file, and delete the section between the 4 and last }
Sorry, the way I phrased that might've made it confusing. I meant I tried manually deleting everything from 4 to } and when that didn't work (Play doesn't launch the game), I tried copy-pasting your code, replacing that section of my json, and that didn't work either.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hmm, from what psion has said in another thread, it seems Mojang may have changed the json file.. again. I'll look into it today or tomorrow after work. Sorry for the delay in the response.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Okay, I tried installing BTW using this tutorial today, and I have found no issues in the directions.

There is a graphical issue (may only be on my computer) that when you run the game in the old launcher, there are graphical issues with shadow shading in weird places that you can't change, even with the placement of all the world's torches. Although, if you load the game in the new launcher (after you have installed the mod with MCPatcher) the shading issues are not there.

So, install with the old launcher, because you have to. But play the game on the new launcher.
Rob

Post by Rob »

woeuntoyou wrote:
Rob wrote:You shouldn't be copy/pasting anything. The spoiler boxes are just showing you what the sections of the file look like.

Sorry, the way I phrased that might've made it confusing. I meant I tried manually deleting everything from 4 to } and when that didn't work (Play doesn't launch the game), I tried copy-pasting your code, replacing that section of my json, and that didn't work either.
After installing the game following my instructions 100%, it leads me to believe you are missing a step or following something incorrectly. Please try installing the game once more, following the instructions to the letter. If you can think of anything else that may help me understand why your install isn't working, let me know.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Rob wrote:Okay, I tried installing BTW using this tutorial today, and I have found no issues in the directions.

There is a graphical issue (may only be on my computer) that when you run the game in the old launcher, there are graphical issues with shadow shading in weird places that you can't change, even with the placement of all the world's torches. Although, if you load the game in the new launcher (after you have installed the mod with MCPatcher) the shading issues are not there.

So, install with the old launcher, because you have to. But play the game on the new launcher.
I think that's because of the new LWJGL.
If you change smooth lighting to minimum it goes back to normal
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Rob wrote:
Rawny wrote:
Not sure if you needed anything, you just quoted me with nothing else said. :P
I'm a man of little words... It must have been a thank you.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Rob

Post by Rob »

Haha, you're welcome. <3
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Thank you so much for this, I really needed it when I installed BTW on my nephew's computer. Could you do (or point me to) a similar guide for setting up a server jar?
Rob

Post by Rob »

jackatthekilns wrote:Thank you so much for this, I really needed it when I installed BTW on my nephew's computer. Could you do (or point me to) a similar guide for setting up a server jar?
No problem, glad it helped.

I haven't set up a server in a long time, so I looked into the BTW readme:
[****** Server Installation Instructions ******]

1) Make sure minecraft is not running.
2) Open your minecraft_server.jar with Winrar or other program
3) Copy all the files and folders in this mod's MINECRAFT_SERVER-JAR folder into your minecraft_server.jar (overwriting any existing files).
4) Optionally, copy the mod's config file into the same directory that contains minecraft_server.jar.
5) Obviously, clients connecting to your server will need to have BTW installed.
8) Receive heaps of praise from the players on your server for installing BTW, and laugh maniacally as you ban dissenters.
Seems easy enough. If you have any issues getting this to work for you, don't hesitate to ask for assistance.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hey folks, been a while. Just wanted to report that these instructions still work for installing the latest BTW version (currently 4.A6).

If anyone runs into any problems or finds the instructions unclear. Please feel free to speak up.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I have had issues with MCPatcher crashing when trying to load profiles with the past several launcher versions. I've managed to keep it working by grabbing an old .minecraft folder off my old laptop, but it doesn't work with the current version. Has anyone else had this issue?
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Rob

Post by Rob »

dawnraider wrote:I have had issues with MCPatcher crashing when trying to load profiles with the past several launcher versions. I've managed to keep it working by grabbing an old .minecraft folder off my old laptop, but it doesn't work with the current version. Has anyone else had this issue?
I personally used v5.0.2 of MCPatcher yesterday when reinstalling everything from scratch. I am also using the older launcher as directed in the guide. I have not tried launching in the newest launcher yet. Only issue I had was forgetting to remove the comma after the four again and it kept replacing my BTW jar.. lol

Other than that, it booted up fine and I have not had a single issue with it.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Weird, I couldn't get it to work with 5.0.2 or 5.0.3, since the launcher updated automatically. I don't use the default launcher I use MultiMC, but I had to restore to a previous launcher version for it to actually properly read the versions and not crash. So that's weird that I'm having issues but you aren't, but at least I did get it to work with a little jankiness.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!