[1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatcher

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Rob

Re: [1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatc

Post by Rob »

Minecraft has updated their launcher, yet again... again?

Launcher Version 1.6.61, still requires the .json edits to function. Don't know what they added since the last update. But didn't notice any issues once in game.

As always, if anyone runs into any problems, please ask for help. :D
retroj

Post by retroj »

Confirmed that this edit to the json file fixes installation issues. Please add this information to the installation instructions on the wiki.
Aegislayer

Post by Aegislayer »

I ran the patcher, deleted the lines from the json, and I’m still having problems getting Better Than Wolves to run.

My launcher seems to be completely ignoring the fact that the 1.5.2-betterthanwolves jar exists. When I look under the profile editor tab the first time after patching, it shows that the profile hooks into the modded jar well enough, but the game defaults to downloading the latest version when it launches and completely unhooks from the modded jar. I can’t select the modified version from the dropdown versions list of the profile and if I try to run minecraft 1.5.2, it switches back to vanilla. The 1.5.2-betterthanwolves jar in the versions folder stays intact. I have completely restarted the process three times and it’s done it every time.

This is Minecraft launcher v. 1.6.61

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE THIS. I missed the comma after “MinimumCurrentLauncherVersion”: 4 and apparently that was enough to make the Minecraft launcher not want to play nice. Oy. I got it working.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Aegislayer wrote:EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE THIS. I missed the comma after “MinimumCurrentLauncherVersion”: 4 and apparently that was enough to make the Minecraft launcher not want to play nice. Oy. I got it working.
Glad you were able to figure it out.
2frei

Post by 2frei »

I missed the comma too ^^
After correction it works and you're a genius for me

But I have an another problem, when I quit a created world, it doesn't appear in my solo world selection.
Despite this problem, the world files are still existing in my explorer.

Note : I play on OSX 1.8.5 with the last MC launcher.
Last edited by 2frei on Sat May 14, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2frei

Post by 2frei »

I found the problem, I edited a profile to store the game in this directory :
/Volumes/Mac_Docs/2frei/Jeux/Minecraft/Profiles/BTW
And the game files are correctly stored on this location.

But I need to copy my world save to this location each time I quit the game :
/Users/2frei/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves
This is the directory where the standard MC is located.

I don't understand why the game stores the world file in the first directory but loads it from the second.
Anyone have an idea ?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Glad the guide helped you, 2frei!

I haven't used a separate save folder for Minecraft since I updated to Windows 10, but I do remember there being a wonky save location issue, depending on the time of day(read: it was random) it would load the default folder, or the folder I selected. I'd have to restart Minecraft until it loaded from the correct folder. I'll do some testing, but I'm on Windows and have no experience with Macs.

If anyone on Mac has experience with this and has a solution, please chime in. <3
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

Forgive my ignorance here, I've not used MCPatcher before.. I don't actually know what it does. Is it possible to simply load up BTW into the jar, fix the json as shown, and we are good to go? Or does MCPatcher add in some steps?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

lifeiwater wrote:Forgive my ignorance here, I've not used MCPatcher before.. I don't actually know what it does. Is it possible to simply load up BTW into the jar, fix the json as shown, and we are good to go? Or does MCPatcher add in some steps?
MCPatcher is a mod installer like MultiMC. It allows not only simple swap-in installs of mods, but also mods that patch in specific code. So no, you wouldn't load BTW into the jar by hand, you'd use MCPatcher to load BTW in the jar and then also use it to install a few other mods that come with MCPatcher by default, such as HD textures.

Most people erroneously conflate the HD Textures mod with MCPatcher, you can use MCPatcher to install just BTW if you want to. The reason people don't do this usually is because it's not a very good installer. Installing BTW with MultiMC is a one-click process in a nice GUI.

Does that kinda answer what it does? I can't explain your other questions well, so I'll leave that to more capable people.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Pretty much what Gil said. MCPatcher has a subset of desirable mods that modify baseclasses that BTW modifies by directly injecting code directly into it.
The bigger pull for using MCPatcher for BTW is CTM (connected textures mod) will allow the texture pack to dynamically alter textures based on a set of rules such as orientation, placement to like blocks, biome, stack size of items, enchants or durability of items etc etc that basically allows the player to add a lot more blocks into the game without them actually being in the base game.
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

Got it, thanks guys!
Aetherius

Post by Aetherius »

Thank you Rob! Your is a quite simpler way to run minecraft properly with the launcher.
Until now, the only way I managed to run BTW minecraft with the normal launcher, is opening minecraft.jar with 7zip and leave it open, so the launcher can't re-download it and bypass the procedure. :D

EDIT: I tried also to set the file as read-only, but doesn't work.
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! I'll invent a combustible lemon to burn your house down!
Chuffy

Post by Chuffy »

I followed the instructions to the letter, just get a splash screen then black, I am however running windows 10... is there known issues?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Chuffy wrote:I followed the instructions to the letter, just get a splash screen then black, I am however running windows 10... is there known issues?
No known issues at all, you did something wrong :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Mud

Post by Mud »

I got a "new" computer and installed MC via the official site's download link. Have always followed these instructions to the letter and never had issue, but now after going through the motions the game just launches as Vanilla. I have created a 1.5.2 profile and the name of that profile matches the name input into MC Patcher.

Has something changed code-wise with the newer launcher versions of MC that might effect this?

Thanks.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure when the last time was that you used these instructions. But there is a .json file you need to edit now before you launch BTW for the first time. You have to delete a bunch of code at the end of the file, otherwise the launcher replaces your BTW jar with a vanilla one.
Mud

Post by Mud »

So somewhere between setting up my initial "BTW" 1.5.2 profile and opening the launcher the second time after following the instructions (including modifying and saving the .json file) the "Use Version:" option gets reset to "Use Latest Version" in said profile.

I've started over from a fresh install twice; the same results in both cases.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was testing something which required me to make a new profile and jar. So I quickly completed the steps and ran into the same issue you mentioned with the version being set to use latest. It appears I can even succumb to not following directions properly. Lol.

Make sure you delete /everything/ between the 4 and the last }. I was leaving it as 4, } and it seems even that single comma will cause the launcher to not recognize your new jar and will set you to the latest version instead.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Twas the comma that did me in! Thanks for all your help.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Gilberreke wrote: MCPatcher is a mod installer like MultiMC. It allows not only simple swap-in installs of mods, but also mods that patch in specific code. So no, you wouldn't load BTW into the jar by hand, you'd use MCPatcher to load BTW in the jar and then also use it to install a few other mods that come with MCPatcher by default, such as HD textures.
Does that mean if I try to install an ore generation mod after BTW, it will patch the code, or does the mod have to specifically ask it too?
I ask because both alter adv.class
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Rob

Post by Rob »

For anyone experiencing issues with the new launcher and MCPatcher, there is a fix. I'll update the text tutorial tonight.

Quick and Dirty Directions:
Download the old launcher here. The old launcher is the second on the list for Windows. Run that, and reset your settings when prompted. After your settings have been reset, MCPatcher will work properly.

For anyone experiencing issues with 'Better Grass' not working properly.

First, make sure the option is checked under the options tab. If that doesn't fix it for you, use MCPatcher version HDTextureFix_v5.0.2, found here. I'm not sure what the newest version added or changed, but it stopped better grass from working for me.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Heyas

I'm starting to get the BTW withdrawal shakes, I'm old, thinking hurts and from my lurking I think there was a MC launcher (or something) update.
Is there an up to date step by step (Oooo baby) installation instruction?
This one seems to be good with a subject of "[1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatcher" but the last post is Apr 06, 2017 (less than a month) and "Last edited by Rob on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 9 times in total." is printed on the OP. 2016 is a little old.

Is it up to date?

Thank you for your time and help,
R
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Rawny wrote:Heyas
You can use this Official old launcher : https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Down ... ecraft.exe

And follow those step :
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hey Rawny. Yes the instructions still work, the only issue you may run into is if you are also playing a more recent version of minecraft. In that case, use the instructions in the post directly above yours to reset your minecraft settings files first, then follow the instructions in the OP.

If you have any issues, don't hesitate to ask.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

I believe with the last official launcher its not possible to join a server !? ?

I was unable , for me i must use old launcher