How to Correctly Install BTW v4.00+ [MC 1.3.2]

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
walker_boh_65

How to Correctly Install BTW v4.00+ [MC 1.3.2]

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I am writing this at Battosay's request due to a high number of installation errors. I hope that this helps people install the mod easily and with and problems, so you can get to playing BTW as fast as possible. Also a thanks to TheGuy for added some pictures for how to start with a clean state (as well as some descriptions to go with them), thanks man :-)

PLEASE READ I am sick of all the problem that people have installing with Magic Launcher. I WILL NOT be answering any questions about an install with Magic Launcher. Please either install it manually or with MCpatcher to get any help.

HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO UPDATE THIS GUIDE. INSTRUCTIONS STILL WORK FOR THE 1.4.4 VERSION OF THE MODS. Sorry for any inconvenience.

NOTE 1: Jzip has some issues with the jar and it is recommended that you use a different program instead.

The most important thing is starting with a clean slate. To do this, launch minecraft, select options, and click the "Force Update" button (It will work the same with 1.3.2, I just don't feel the need to change the picture):
Spoiler
Show
NOTE 2:If you want to install with the MCPatcher, check out Batosay's Thread or if you prefer pictures over his great video, I will include them here

Find your Roaming Folder by searching for %appdata%:
Spoiler
Show
For Windows 7 you press the Windows button, and use the search function at the bottom of the window that pops up:
For Windows XP you need to open up the start menu and select run to search:
Spoiler
Show
Open up .minecraft and make sure that the mods folder is empty (along with any other folders you do not see in the photo):
Spoiler
Show
You will need to open up two pages:
BTW
Modloader

Next click the download links for each mod (i have them each circled) and the Mediafire download links as well (also circled):
Modloader 1.3.2:
Spoiler
Show
BTW version 4.00:
Spoiler
Show
Now time to get to the Minecraft jar file (I have highlighted the folders in each picture for your ease):

First search for %appdata% (same as above)

Then click on .minecraft
Spoiler
Show
Click on the bin folder:
Spoiler
Show
Open the minecraft jar file (you can also use 7zip, or other similar programs instead of WinRaR):
Spoiler
Show
DELETE META-INF!
Spoiler
Show
Now time to start placing the contents of the mods into you minecraft jar:

First select everything in the ModLoader.zip and drag and drop it into the minecraft jar (hit OK when the window prompts you to):
Spoiler
Show
Then go to the BTWMod4-00.zip and open up the MINECRAFT-JAR folder:
Spoiler
Show
Finally select everything in that sub-folder, and drag it into your minecraft.jar (again hit OK when prompted):
Spoiler
Show

Only if Installing with MCPatcher

Download and save the zips as you normally would. I recommend creating a folder separate for all of this Minecraft version's mods.
Then Launch MCPatcher, by double clicking on the application.
Add in the zips for BTW 4.00 and Modloader 1.2.5 by pressing the "+" button toward the bottom of the program.
Spoiler
Show
Select the Modloader zip from where ever you saved it. Upon selection you should see a window like this will appear:
Spoiler
Show
Go ahead and press OK there.

Next select the BTW 4.00 zip from where you saved that. When you select it a window like this should appear:
Spoiler
Show
Be sure to only select the MINECRAFT-JAR folder and its contents to be patched, and then when then window comes up (similar to the one that popped up with the modloader zip) press OK.
Then double check to make sure that the order is as shown (I know that the picture shows BTW version 3.54, but there is no need to change the picture with each new version of BTW):
Spoiler
Show
And you can patch you Minecraft by pressing the patch button as shown above.
You will see that following message appear:
Spoiler
Show
Go ahead and press "Yes", after the program finishes, you game will be patched.

Close out of all the folders/zip files/programs and launch Minecraft:
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 38 times in total.
TheGuy

How to start with a clean install

Post by TheGuy »

Good job
Last edited by TheGuy on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
walker_boh_65

Re: How to correctly install BTW with Pictures

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I thought about that, and i think i might do that tomorrow. Taking pictures of every step and editing them makes the install take much to long.
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Moved clean install tutorial to my top post
Last edited by TheGuy on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

audiomod?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Chaechew wrote:audiomod?
i guess if needed i could add an installation for some other mods, i check out audiomod tomorrow.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stickied :)
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I'd like to point out that just forcing an update won't clear out old mod info in places other than minecraft.jar. Yes, you have clearing out the /mods/ folder, but I find it easier to just delete the .minecraft folder (after backing up the saves) and running Minecraft.exe.
IGN: Camerinthus
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

If you delete the .minecraft folder, don't forget to copy out your screenshots (if any) when you copy out your saves.

Personally, I always copy the entire .minecraft folder immediately on making a clean install, right before making changes, and then again once I have a stable version. That way I have something to revert to if I break something.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Camerinthus wrote:I'd like to point out that just forcing an update won't clear out old mod info in places other than minecraft.jar. Yes, you have clearing out the /mods/ folder, but I find it easier to just delete the .minecraft folder (after backing up the saves) and running Minecraft.exe.
I don't think it's a good idea to suggest people do that, too easy to make a mistake. Deleting the mods folder and the bin folder are much safer and just as easy.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:Stickied :)
gftweek wrote:
Camerinthus wrote:I'd like to point out that just forcing an update won't clear out old mod info in places other than minecraft.jar. Yes, you have clearing out the /mods/ folder, but I find it easier to just delete the .minecraft folder (after backing up the saves) and running Minecraft.exe.
I don't think it's a good idea to suggest people do that, too easy to make a mistake. Deleting the mods folder and the bin folder are much safer and just as easy.
My thoughts exactly.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
gftweek wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
Personal preference I guess. Guide looks nice though.

Oh, and also, the BattleTowers mod for example puts stuff in the resources folder, which is just in the .minecraft directory, not the /mods/ or jar. Maybe say something like "erase the contents of the mods and other mod-related folders?" This would include for things like buildcraft, too.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Soo? Adding another section for audio mod, anything else?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Camerinthus wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:
gftweek wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
Personal preference I guess. Guide looks nice though.

Oh, and also, the BattleTowers mod for example puts stuff in the resources folder, which is just in the .minecraft directory, not the /mods/ or jar. Maybe say something like "erase the contents of the mods and other mod-related folders?" This would include for things like buildcraft, too.
The resources folder won't affect the game though, unless the mod exists in the mods folder or the minecraft.jar, so is safe to leave, same with custom config files/folders. As long as the mod isn't attempted to be loaded extra content will cause no ill effects.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

gftweek wrote:-snip-
Guess it's the OCD coming out in me. Everything must be completely clean before I start something.

Bleh. I'll stop saying stupid stuff and just say good guide!
TheGuy

Re: How to correctly install BTW v2.96 with Pictures

Post by TheGuy »

Added this guide to the wiki
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Installation
Let me know if the formatting is okay. It probably needs to be looked over and have some of the wording altered.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

The formatting looks fine to me
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Great. I also added it in big text to the main page so the average user can find it.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

TheGuy wrote:Great. I also added it in big text to the main page so the average user can find it.
Good call
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

It would probably also be helpful if the link to the wiki was higher up on the minecraftforums post instead of at the end. Unless of course Flowerchild's intention is to make it so you have to read the whole main post in order to get to the wiki.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGuy wrote:It would probably also be helpful if the link to the wiki was higher up on the minecraftforums post instead of at the end. Unless of course Flowerchild's intention is to make it so you have to read the whole main post in order to get to the wiki.
Actually, that's a fair point man. For a long while, the wiki wasn't being reliably updated, but with guys like you working on it regularly now, it seems to be updating faster than the OP itself :)

I'll bump the link towards the top.
Awfulcopter

Re: How to correctly install BTW v2.98 with Pictures

Post by Awfulcopter »

Great instructions, and an awesome mod community. Thanks.
Suppressor1137

Post by Suppressor1137 »

Alright, Clean slate install Locks on IWJGL.jar at different percentages every time. Any solution? and would like to know if I'm wasting my time trying to get water shader mod+Matmos+Rei's Minimap working with it as well.

I understand it doesn't work with SMP atm, but the other mods are indispensable for me. Once you go Water shaders, you never go back... >.>

I await your response XD.
SPACEDUDE360000

Post by SPACEDUDE360000 »

Suppressor1137 wrote:Alright, Clean slate install Locks on IWJGL.jar at different percentages every time. Any solution? and would like to know if I'm wasting my time trying to get water shader mod+Matmos+Rei's Minimap working with it as well.

I understand it doesn't work with SMP atm, but the other mods are indispensable for me. Once you go Water shaders, you never go back... >.>

I await your response XD.
Maybe just try deleting your bin folder?
Why do something if you can get someone else to do it for you?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I am not entirely sure what your problem is, but I also do not know off the top of my head if those mods are compatible with forge or not. Anyone know off hand?