[GUIDE] MultiMC and MCPatcher (with working Better Grass!)

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Frantiq

[GUIDE] MultiMC and MCPatcher (with working Better Grass!)

Post by Frantiq »

Installing Better Than Wolves in MultiMC with MCPatcher

Things you'll need:
Legacy Minecraft Launcher - select the option for the older windows version.
Better Than Wolves
MultiMC
MCPatcher 5.0.2

We use 5.0.2 of MCPatcher instead of 5.0.3 because the latest version apparently causes some issues with compatibility.

MultiMC is a clean, powerful instance manager for Minecraft. It's possible to use MCPatcher without MultiMC, but I think the legacy launcher is ass.

MCPatcher adds in numerous graphical tweaks. I primarily use it for AA, Mipmapping, and Better Grass. It also adds support for HD texture packs, but it's hard to find ones completely compatible with newer versions of BTW.

Prep:

Extract the Better Than Wolves zip. Open the folder called "MINECRAFT-JAR" (or whatever contains the files that are supposed to go into the jar, if this changes in a future release). Ctrl-A to select all files, then right click and Send to -> Compressed folder. Rename the zip that you just created to BTW.zip, and move it somewhere you can easily find it.

The fun shit:
  • Go to /user/appdata/roaming/.minecraft and back that up to another location if you want to hang on to it. Then delete the folder.
  • Launch the legacy launcher and log in.
  • In the "Profile" dropdown at the bottom left, make sure that there isn't anything other than your username there. If there is, you didn't delete .minecraft and need to go back and do so.
  • Hit "New Profile" at the bottom left. Name it "vanilla1.5.2". In the dropdown next to "Use version", select "release 1.5.2".
  • Save. Select the vanilla1.5.2 profile from the dropdown at the bottom left. Run Minecraft once.
  • Close Minecraft and the launcher.
  • Run HDTextureFix (MCPatcher).
  • At the top, the new profile MCPatcher is proposing to create should already be called MCPatcher, and be set to 1.5.2. If it isn't, make it so.
  • Hit the + at the bottom. Add in the BTW.zip from earlier.
  • Using the arrow buttons at the bottom, put BTW at the top, then the rest of the default MCPatcher stuff.
  • Configure MCPatcher however you want. I recommend leaving all the default patches on.
  • Go to the "Options" tab. Disable "Fetch list of Minecraft versions on startup". If you want (I highly recommend it), change some of the options under Extended HD to higher values. I check "Enable mipmaps", set their max level to 5, and set LOD to 0, Anisotropic filtering to 16, and Anti-aliasing to 16.
  • Change anything else you want to. I highly recommend enabling Better Grass (in the Connected Textures options). BEWARE - if you enable this, you will need to set Smooth Lighting to Minimum in Minecraft. If it is at maximum, you will get obnoxious light bugs.
    Go back to the "Mods" tab and hit Patch!
  • Hit "Test Minecraft" and try it out. Go into creative and make sure everything from BTW is there. Check that you are happy with your graphical options (i.e. AA, mipmap strength, Better Grass). If you aren't happy, close Minecraft, change the settings, and hit Patch again. WARNING - do NOT try to run this instance through the legacy vanilla launcher without doing the .json editing from the BTW readme, or it will be reset to vanilla, and you'll have to patch again.
From here on out is advice on moving over to MultiMC:
  • Open MultiMC. Create a new instance (top left) for 1.5.2. Name it whatever you want. Run it once.
  • Select the instance, then select "Edit Instance". Select "Version" from the tabs on the left. Hit "Add to Minecraft.jar" (I think "Replace..." might work too, but I usually use the first option).
  • Navigate to /user/appdata/roaming/.minecraft/versions/1.5.2-mcpatcher (the final folder may be different if you changed the profile name in mcpatcher). Select the .jar. Be sure not to rename it.
  • In the Versions window, select the custom jar you just added. Make sure it is BELOW minecraft and LWJGL (there are "Move up" and "Move down" buttons on the right). Select "Edit" on the right. Your text editor should open.
  • We are now adding a library MCPatcher needs in order to parse its configuration files and successfully load options such as AA and Better Grass.
  • Copy the code below. Be sure to include the full selection, including the initial spaces before "libraries".

Code: Select all

"libraries": [
    {
      "name": "com.google.code.gson:gson:2.2.4"
    }
  ],
  • Place your cursor just after the first { in the file, then hit enter once to bring your cursor onto a new line. Ctrl-V to paste the previously selected code in. Your file should now look very similar to this:

Code: Select all

{
  "libraries": [
    {
      "name": "com.google.code.gson:gson:2.2.4"
    }
  ],
    "jarMods": [
        {
            "MMC-displayname": "1.5.2-mcpatcher",
            "MMC-filename": "857409f9-4747-4763-a3b1-a62c19f4029a.jar",
            "MMC-hint": "local",
            "name": "org.multimc.jarmods:857409f9-4747-4763-a3b1-a62c19f4029a:1"
        }
    ],
    "name": "1.5.2-mcpatcher (jar mod)",
    "order": 102,
    "uid": "org.multimc.jarmod.857409f9-4747-4763-a3b1-a62c19f4029a"
}
  • Close the "Versions" window.
  • Go to your /user/appdata/roaming/.minecraft folder. Copy mcpatcher.json.
  • Open MultiMC, select your Better Than Wolves instance, then hit "Instance Folder". Go into the "minecraft" folder. Paste in mcpatcher.json.
This .json contains some configuration that MCPatcher doesn't store in the .jar itself. It's possible to modify some settings, like the strength of AA, directly in this file using a text editor. If you ever want to make changes to these settings, but don't want to modify the .json directly, you can run MCPatcher and modify your profile from the vanilla launcher, then just copy the new .json from the vanilla .minecraft directory over to the MultiMC one. As long as you didn't change the name of the profile, it will still work fine.

Run your instance! Be sure to set smooth lighting to minimum if you enabled Better Grass, or you will probably get some obvious graphical errors.

Let me know how this worked for you, and if you had any problems.