Tripwires sometimes being activated by items?

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
abculatter_2

Tripwires sometimes being activated by items?

Post by abculatter_2 »

So, I've been working on mob grinders on a server for quite awhile, and I've run into an issue with my design, which I believe is caused by a bug. My design is a large array of one-block-wide spawning platforms with tripwires running across them, and sticky pistons pushing a block which pushes the mobs off the spawning platform and into a fall pit as soon as they spawn. Mobs seem to sometimes hit the spawning platforms as they fall however, which in itself is not an issue, but I've noticed that both the items and dragon orbs they drop seem to activate the tripwires. I assume the dragon orbs were unintentional, but probably not really a bug, though I know that items activating the tripwires is indeed a bug. I haven't really had much time to play Minecraft lately, so I haven't been able to do some testing to determine the exact reason why the items are activating the tripwire. (and I have seen it happen, and removing the items seems to fix it) I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar behavior?
Norton

Re: Tripwires sometimes being activated by items?

Post by Norton »

Pretty sure items activating tripwires is working as intended, and the same as vanilla.

The usual workaround seems to be keeping the mobs alive in the areas you use tripwires, and then doing the final collection without tripwires. If you're accidentally drop-killing mobs while they're still up in your spawning pads, that's a reason to rearrange the pads (since items dropped into the tripwires would be lost anyway).

[edit]I'm wrong above -- changelog for 4.891 says: "Changed trip wires to no longer be able to detect items to prevent exploits involving this behavior." I seem to remember fighting with orbs jamming a tripwire killing mechanisms more recently than that, so may have had the same bug or the same subtly-intended behavior. Can't get that world to load now to verify.[/edit]
Last edited by Norton on Thu May 26, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Couldn't you avoid that problem by having the tripwire be the top block and the piston be the bottom block?
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

FC changed that particular bit, iirc. said floating tripwires were causing cheaty item detection, like pressureplates on fences.

hm.
Version 4.891
Show
Changed creepers so that they will not drop records if deoystered. They're just too depressed to appreciate good music anymore.

Changed trip wires to no longer be able to detect items to prevent exploits involving this behavior.

Fixed crash when placing a Crucible (and potentially other blocks with associated tile entities) in a location recently occupied by dried cement.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

To elaborate, since I thought this was common knowledge here:

As was stated, tripwires are no longer supposed to detect items, and as far as I'm aware all other forms of dropping items on the wires will cause them to not activate. For some reason, it is only items that are dropped by dead mobs that seems to cause them to be activated.
Also, I don't know exactly when it was changed, but floating tripwires are indeed no longer a thing that works. I think you can still place the wires in the air, but the tripwire hooks will not be activated if the wires are floating.