KSP Beta 0.90.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

KSP Beta 0.90.

Post by Taleric »

So funny how they gated launch mass and EVA behind structure upgrades now. Wonder if that that was natural progression or by peeking at BTSM. Giving a vanilla hard run a try, ugh! The silly contracts, while still better with fine print, are going to send me back to moderate difficulty.

I am curious to see if the gating is enough to keep steady progression or if it will go wide open at a point.

Edit: Interesting, the maneuver nodes and action groups are gated as well. This does add some challenge into early play on higher difficulty and removes some of the replay tedium making it feel fresh.

The crew skills are neat, I like that my pilot leveled and can now hold prograde/retrograde. The skilling incentivizes more crew per mission and manned over probes if you risk their lives/xp loss :P

I can imagine a fully skilled kerbal death hurting a bit!

Well good I am happy with work on this update.
Last edited by Taleric on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katalliaan

Re: KSP Beta 0.9

Post by Katalliaan »

0.90. 0.9 was released 3 years ago.

I have yet to play the new version, but I know some Ubisoft developer who Squad had playing the game on the KSPTV channel would not stop bitching about the fact that he didn't get patched conics and maneuver nodes for free. He refused to accept the fact that for getting around Kerbin and Mun, you don't need either unless you're trying to rendezvous with something in orbit (i.e. a station or a stranded Kerbal). Checking the career mode, it's 140k funds to get patched conics (1st upgrade to tracking station), and an additional 32k to get maneuver nodes (needs 1st upgrade of both mission control and tracking station).

Basically, every building affects different things:
  • VAB/SPH: part count and action groups
  • Runway/Launchpad: size and mass of craft
  • Tracking Station: map stuff - patched conics, maneuver nodes (alongside Mission Control), and "unowned objects" (guessing asteroids)
  • Mission Control: active contracts, maneuver nodes (alongside Tracking Station)
  • Astronaut Complex: number of active Kerbals, where Kerbals can get out, flags, surface samples (alongside R&D)
  • Research and Development: science limit (not sure if this is a limit on how much science you can have or a limit on how much you can spend on a single upgrade), surface samples (alongside Astronaut Complex)
  • Administration Building: number of active strategies and limit on commitment level
Just a note: the SPH, VAB, runway, and the launchpad are all upgraded separately, and you can now switch between the two symmetry modes in both editors. So if you have zero interest in planes, you can keep the dirt runway while having a high-tech launchpad.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:0.90. 0.9 was released 3 years ago.
You almost got a temp ban under rule #1 for the above :P

The whole 0.9 vs 0.90 thing sounds more like the kind of tongue-in-cheek version numbering humor that I am so fond of, except people over on the KSP forums actually take it seriously. I've intentionally been referring to it as 0.9 on the KSP forums just because I know it gets under their skin...over nothing.
Taleric

Re: KSP Beta 0.90.

Post by Taleric »

Fixed but yeah .9/0ish is just silly.

Pressing on, I am tier two on tracking station, launch pad, VAB, kerb center and contracts. Got a Mun landing done manned and unmanned Minmus. From here I could get probes to just about anything.

The only limitations impeding me are the unlock of tech level over 100 and the interesting vehicle height limit. All are just a few contracts away to unlock.

I only have my pilot up to level two but I can already see I will invest in an abort system to save skilled kerbals on launches. Really cool.

I enjoyed the fine print missions for the most part, the launch requirement addition to the science collection missions are a nice exploit restriction. Kerbal flyover/ground missions are meh but I love them on other celestials.

A few more missions and there might not be challenge left but just to travel. So as Squad moves forward hopefully they will flesh out wear and tear for vehicles in operation giving the engineer more utility while creating challenge/interest for long missions.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

FlowerChild wrote:The whole 0.9 vs 0.90 thing sounds more like the kind of tongue-in-cheek version numbering humor that I am so fond of, except people over on the KSP forums actually take it seriously. I've intentionally been referring to it as 0.9 on the KSP forums just because I know it gets under their skin...over nothing.
Taleric wrote:Fixed but yeah .9/0ish is just silly.
Well, I've seen two ways to handle versioning. There's some devs that treat version numbers like decimals (like how BTW's versions went from 4.89 to 4.891 to 4.8911 etc), and others that treat the periods as separators (resulting in things like WoW going from 1.9.4 to 1.10.0, Minecraft going from 1.7.9 to 1.7.10 or KSP going from 0.9.0 to 0.10.0, with the first section representing major releases, the second patches, and the third minor patches or bugfixes).

At any rate, I think I've got everything I need for my personal install, just have a few things to double-check, since I know I hit some weird behaviour earlier.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote: Well, I've seen two ways to handle versioning. There's some devs that treat version numbers like decimals (like how BTW's versions went from 4.89 to 4.891 to 4.8911 etc), and others that treat the periods as separators (resulting in things like WoW going from 1.9.4 to 1.10.0, Minecraft going from 1.7.9 to 1.7.10 or KSP going from 0.9.0 to 0.10.0, with the first section representing major releases, the second patches, and the third minor patches or bugfixes).
Yup, I understand all that. However, what I find silly is how people make a big deal out of it like it actually matters in any way shape or form.

If someone says "0.9" at this point in time, it's immediately apparent they aren't referring to the old alpha version, and I suspect if someone were trying to reference that old version (and I suspect that very rarely happens these days), they'd likely explicitly say "0.9 alpha". As a result, there's really no need to correct it or say anything at all about it really. Everybody immediately knows what you're talking about and the only thing that's been missed out on is a key stroke.

For example, it's not like the thread title here caused any confusion about what version of KSP was actually being referred to. However, you still felt the need to correct it for reasons unknown.

Version numbers are ultimately just arbitrary designations which a developer assigns via whatever convention they happen to favor, and much like I often mock how early access games assign grand meaning to labels like "alpha" or "beta" when the meanings are so ambiguous as to be largely useless, or how I mock whacked conventions that serve even less purpose like Starbound's animal names (which don't even indicate which version follows another), I find the whole 0.9 vs 0.90 thing rather comical.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Unlocking the second level science and best launch pad the fine print contracts are all that is drawing me to continue besides visit all the planets, Max XP, all techs ect.

I feel like taking contracts with large advances and durations to open gates is cheaty.

I am starting to get the itch for Remote Tech 2 to add some depth maybe life support as well.

Can't imagine squads next update as it is "beta".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:Can't imagine squads next update as it is "beta".
You've got it wrong there man. *This* update (0.9) is already beta, or at least is what they consider it to be.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Ah, poor wording, was saying as we are in the beta now, but maybe I am wrong on the next, is the next release supposed to be full?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:Ah, poor wording, was saying as we are in the beta now, but maybe I am wrong on the next, is the next release supposed to be full?
No, not at all, and their definition is "beta" is extremely loose. As far as I know they're still planning on revamping aero and adding some kind of resource processing system (mining or something), so they're not even in any kind of feature freeze.

As far as I can tell someone just said "we should call it beta and boost the version number!" and rolled with it. Doesn't mean shit.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Alpha Beta denominations and the distinction between 0.x and 1.x versions tend to mean little to nothing these days it seems...
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I believe they consider "beta" to be the point at which they consider the game to have all the basic systems it needs to be "Kerbal Space Program". I guess that means they consider themselves to have gone from "building" KSP to "improving" KSP. It's still rather vague and arbitrary, but Squad has assigned some meaning to the terms.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Sounds about right, fingers crossed for aerodynamic fixes and resources.
Spoiler
Show
Maxmaps (@Maxmaps) tweeted at 3:29pm - 19 Dec 14:

Tomorrow's the last day of the year over at @Squad_Mx and we planned the next update. Can't say much but expect aerodynamics and resources. (https://twitter.com/Maxmaps/status/5458 ... 13248?s=17)
I ended up adding RT2 and Ironcross to .90 on moderate difficulty and the progression is good. I can't see the final vKSP being fun without consumption resources for kerbals and some communications limiting.

I am torn on DRE because it is obviously missing when you burn in hard but the addition of a shield and thought in reentry approach becomes routine; once you have adapted play style you almost never experience issues. With RT2 there is the element of delay that adds to far missions and kerbal resources for manned keeping the features fresh.

Completing my test of the new content the crew skills and build upgrades are great. Squad even did ok in retooling the progression.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Taleric wrote:snip
Wait a sec RT2 isn't updated for 0.90, is it?
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The experimental is working very well. There was one issue where multi body probes would get confused when you separated them i.e. lander from an orbiter but a fix already went up.

I had not encountered any other issues with it :)

Edit: Update on play with DRE, RT2 and a new life support mod on moderate difficulty.

Very enjoyable play :D. At the point now that you just have to grind the credits on contracts. I will probably do a big mission here and there when I get the bug till next update. The only way to not feel the grind will be to play with no revert to savior each launch.
Renegrade

Post by Renegrade »

Taleric wrote:So funny how they gated launch mass and EVA behind structure upgrades now. Wonder if that that was natural progression or by peeking at BTSM. Giving a vanilla hard run a try, ugh! The silly contracts, while still better with fine print, are going to send me back to moderate difficulty.
I've been wondering about that myself for quite some time - are these changes BTSM inspired? Could the name "Beta than Ever" be more than a coincidence (and stupid pun)?

There's actually a real sense of (bumpy) progression in stock now..

Oh well, if it is, they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I've certainly wondered a couple of times, but there's nothing obvious enough that I would consider it likely.

Stuff like mass and EVA limits are rather natural ideas for this game IMO, and that bloody offset tool, which I utterly despise and want to rip out at the earliest opportunity, is so entirely contrary to BTSM's design ideology, that I somehow doubt they're taking inspiration from the mod.

If stuff like this did originate in any way with BTSM I think it more likely it would have been a result of players suggesting things to Squad that they saw in BTSM without crediting the source.
devak

Post by devak »

So... they're changing aerodynamics. I'm inclined to say "hell it's about time".
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

They need to stop playing with my emotions...

@KerbalSpaceP:
2015-01-17 00:52:34 UTC
"Resources are 100% not cancelled and not delayed." @Maxmaps confirming them for the next update.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:They need to stop playing with my emotions...

@KerbalSpaceP:
2015-01-17 00:52:34 UTC
"Resources are 100% not cancelled and not delayed." @Maxmaps confirming them for the next update.
I was in the Squadcast tonight, and they seem like they're definitely going to happen.

I'd guess they're integrating Kethane from the sounds of the hints he dropped about integrating a mod related to it.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Well then, these guys lol! I always assume (probably falsely) that having these types of mods assimilated allows for them to be better optimized.

While aero is great this will give me some real vanilla play next update from just vanilla :)
devak

Post by devak »

Taleric wrote:Well then, these guys lol! I always assume (probably falsely) that having these types of mods assimilated allows for them to be better optimized.

While aero is great this will give me some real vanilla play next update from just vanilla :)
For me it actually feels like it may add *gameplay* rather than simulator stuff. I mean, i like KSP but haven't played properly in months. It lacks incentive other than "because i can" "because science" "because contracts".
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Beyond beta info http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/con ... eyond-Beta

Much better then I expected :)
I also saw a tweet that fairings might be added! Between the refuel feature and overall balancing I expect to get more play than the last update before I am done again :)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Finally some robust gear, I might make some planes now :)

Landing Gear
http://m.imgur.com/3aj2F7U

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProg ... ding_gear/