Space engineer

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DaveYanakov

Re: Space engineer

Post by DaveYanakov »

Aye, multipart functions are actually feasable now, not to mention there are now reasons to set up multiple control stations and recruit a crew
Better is the enemy of Good
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

The fighter craft in the update video with the rotating turret on top made me happy in the pants. A huge battleship with each turret block assigned to a crew member would be money.

Now if only there was something meaningful to shoot at... Another faction would be nice, but having enough players in survival on at once would be very difficult. Think EVE Online, but with the activity of a low budget minecraft server :/

Staging battles could be a possibility. Spawning in 2 ships on opposite ends of a field, getting players, and going at it could be fun. Especially if each person had their own system to control.

Another scenario is moving around a ship with 3 people, but get this... each person controls only 1 axis of motion :) Which would be a very nice cooperation exercise.

Grinding and welding ships could be better built now, like the Canada arm on the space shuttle, a grinder could "turn corners" and grind blocks previously out of reach.

</twocents>
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

i was thinking more along the lines of flight deck operations on a carrier but yes, all of these things and more are now doable without juggling a clunky GUI. It seems silly but it really is starting to feel like a game now
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, looks like we have an explanation for why modding got broken in previous releases:

jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Snip
Meanwhile, on Minecraft HQ...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Snip
Meanwhile, on Minecraft HQ...
Hehe...yeah, I'm wondering how much they limited the modding potential of the game by making it easy to install mods. Gil would probably be in a better position to answer the question as to what kind of restrictions this imposes on what modders can and can't do.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

first off... Control panel block!! YES! Second, the ability to "orbit" ships around your station stands out to me quite a bit. Having a solar powered ship sitting on a circular path seems like a great start for the addition of automated ships :)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...yeah, I'm wondering how much they limited the modding potential of the game by making it easy to install mods. Gil would probably be in a better position to answer the question as to what kind of restrictions this imposes on what modders can and can't do.
From the limited testing Katalliaan and I have done so far, base class modding seems to still be possible, though a lot of stuff is sand-boxed. On top of that, you can now have different mods per save file, so I can in theory release scenarios that edit different stuff. For example, the extended ore detector only makes sense in my sparse mode, I could make it so only sparse mode scenarios have that change. We don't have a lot of control over what gets put into save files, so the new stuff is not always reachable, they'll have to work on that.

I'll have to do more tests to see what changed for better or for worse, but apart from breaking mods for two weeks, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

New update with corresponding Thread.

Mainly even more tools for automation of ships and control of machines like doors.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Adenine

Post by Adenine »

Nice! Slightly less awkward controls. =)

What I'm really hoping for is some basic programming. I want a single easy to use button that does this:

(first 15 seconds)

I've been hoping for that since I saw that video where they (crash)landed a small ship on the station when they were demonstrating the collision mechanics...
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Adenine, that's been possible since they added pistons.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:Adenine, that's been possible since they added pistons.
That's what I thought when I first looked at his post, but I think he may mean having a number of ships below decks that the system would dispense one at a time. Otherwise, I wouldn't see the need for programming anything there.
Adenine

Post by Adenine »

Katalliaan wrote:Adenine, that's been possible since they added pistons.
I meant a single button that does all of that automatically without going through lists of components and squishing your ship if you accidentally get the order reversed. Basically something along the lines of:

Code: Select all

Button 1 {
  Retract Piston 1;
  Wait 4 seconds;
  Extend Piston 2;
}
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

But that clip I linked could be done with one button. It probably took them a while to get the speeds and limits right, but it could be activated by a button.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Adenine

Post by Adenine »

Katalliaan wrote:But that clip I linked could be done with one button. It probably took them a while to get the speeds and limits right, but it could be activated by a button.
Sorry man, I watched the first few seconds of it and thought it was just showing off pistons. Also, wow, I've somehow completely missed that huge 'reverse' button on the piston UI... Crazy...
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

They messed up the Refinery queuing in the last update ... or they made a change without telling anyone.
It now processes ore in ... alphabetical order. :(
In the refinery you need to turn off "Use Conveyor System" or it will pull in the ores and process them alphabetically. You can still connect to another device that is on the conveyor system and put/retrieve items to/from the refinery but with the option turned off, the refinery wont pull stuff automatically.
Ore is processed in the following order:
1. Cobalt
2. Gold
3. Iron
4. Magnesium
5. Nickel
6. Platinum
7. Silicon
8. Silver
9. Stone
10. Uranium
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

WAT. You mean with 'conveyor system' on, they don't process things that are in the front of the line of ore? They just refine cobalt no matter what?

Cause if that's what you're saying... idk what I'll do...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote: Cause if that's what you're saying... idk what I'll do...
I recommend not playing until shit gets sorted. That's pretty much what I've been doing since they fragged Gil's mod a few releases ago, and it's been working out well for me ;)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Sounds great :)

I was gonna start playing eve online for the 4th time anyway.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:I recommend not playing until shit gets sorted. That's pretty much what I've been doing since they fragged Gil's mod a few releases ago, and it's been working out well for me ;)
Haha, yeah, I hear you, I'm not touching this game for a while, got burnt too hard.

I'm currently back to modding Minecraft for a while and when I feel a sufficient time has passed, I'll start playing/modding it again :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Haha, yeah, I hear you, I'm not touching this game for a while, got burnt too hard.
Well, to your credit, I got to play your mod for one evening before it got trashed, and I haven't been able to play vanilla since ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, to your credit, I got to play your mod for one evening before it got trashed, and I haven't been able to play vanilla since ;)
Haha, okay, so I better revive it, got it :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Haha, okay, so I better revive it, got it :)
Nah, not at all man. I'd certainly enjoy it if you do, but I was hesitant to mention anything as that's exactly the way I didn't want it to come across :)

Just wanted to let you know that you were doing something cool there that the game is in dire need of...not pester you to continue doing it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Nah, not at all man. I'd certainly enjoy it if you do, but I was hesitant to mention anything as that's exactly the way I didn't want it to come across :)

Just wanted to let you know that you were doing something cool there that the game is in dire need of...not pester you to continue doing it.
Oh, it was just a joke, I didn't take it that way. I do want to get back to it, but having the entire game shift from under you, right after it broke your mod, right after you wrote it, kinda made it all weird. But if my urges to make it never come back, that's fine. I'm slowly learning to point my arrows at stuff I will do, not stuff I would love to do some day, maybe.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Cool cool. I think the day I update pester someone is the day my tentacles fall off :)