Repeater on turntable leaves elevated redstone powered

Post any bugs that you find *in the mod* here. This place is NOT for posting installation errors or bugs with vanilla Minecraft, or add-on mods.
Norton

Repeater on turntable leaves elevated redstone powered

Post by Norton »

(So I don't serve as a bad example to others: This should have gone to into the Tech Support board to avoid annoying FB with a minor bug.)

Struck me as a cool way to hook up a turntable...

When initially placed, the left side with the torch is on and everything else is off. When the repeater's input first aligns with the torch side, everything is powered. At the next step, the repeater depowers, but the right arm remains on. Manually triggering a redstone update on the right arm depowers it.

If you place a block under the repeater (so it is at the same level as the redstone) it behaves as expected. Have not attempted in survival mode. Tried both forum search and Google without finding anyone talking about repeaters on turntables.

Can someone please whip up a replica to see if I need paddling for missing something obvious or for reporting a really obscure bug? I'd probably triage this one as "stop hitting yourself" :)

(edit: changed title from "Repeater on turntable never depowers adjacent redstone" to mention the elevation)
Last edited by Norton on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawk

Re: Repeater on turntable leaves elevated redstone powered

Post by hawk »

In general you probably should only report bugs that you find in survival. FC has stated he doesn't support creative and I know there are at least a few red stone related things that don't quite work right outside of survival.
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hence my request for someone to repro. Wandering naked in the wilderness makes it tricky to verify redstone bugs.

Having now found home base again: Same behavior in single-player Survival.
hawk

Post by hawk »

I can confirm that when the repeater is on the same elevation as the redstone it behaves as you would expect with the right being powered one out of the four turntable rotations. When I hook up exactly as you have pictured the right remain does powered indefinitely SSP BTW V4.99999AOCb Marsupial?!

It gets weirder...

In this scenario when I destroyed the repeater when it was perpendicular to the circuit (90/270 degrees from initial "on") the right remains powered without any link to the torch.

If you move the torch one (or more) back and add the extra redstone the right powers when expected but stays on one extra rotation of the turntable (90 degrees). When the repeater is 180 degrees from the initial "on" the left depowers and remains unpowered at 270. This cycle repeats after that. I get the same results at all repeater settings, turntable speeds and rotation directions.

You can put the torch side on the same level as the repeater with the right side elevated and get the same indefinite power results you described in your OP. It looks like the "bug" is at least partially in the repeater-powering-block relationship. I messed around with it some more and could get the right to remain powered through three rotations as well. This is weird and it would take a better man than me to explain why its happening but figured I might as well post what I found.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

hawk wrote: In this scenario when I destroyed the repeater when it was perpendicular to the circuit (90/270 degrees from initial "on") the right remains powered without any link to the torch.
I'd bet the same thing would happen as the above without the turntable involved, making this a vanilla bug.
Norton wrote:Hence my request for someone to repro. Wandering naked in the wilderness makes it tricky to verify redstone bugs.
Then get someone to confirm it in tech support before bringing it to my attention here. Don't post to this forum unless you are certain something is a bug.
hawk

Post by hawk »

FlowerChild wrote:I'd bet the same thing would happen as the above without the turntable involved, making this a vanilla bug.
That would be my guess as well. What I couldn't do was think of a way to reproduce it without the turntable.

EDIT: unless... On second thought I might have a way

EDIT2: Fuck it... Cost/benefit ratio sucks. Grabbing a beer instead.
Norton

Post by Norton »

Already tried a set of piston combinations in vanilla (1.5.2 and 1.8.10), but never managed to reproduce the sticky charged block by fiddling with the repeater (short of just building a BUD next to it). Didn't find anything related in recipes or MC changelogs, though I wouldn't bet money on noticing it.

That said, it *is* just a BUD. Sorry for wasting more than the 15 seconds I was expecting FC to take to glance at it, and decide whether to ignore it or tweak whatever state-update-y magic happens above a turntable. That's the end of my relevant information, so will leave'ya to beers.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Will investigate this further. Haven't decided whether it's worth resolving or not, but I'll take a peak.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, fixed for next release. Wasn't as complicated to resolve as I had feared :)