New Release! (BTW 4.ABCFAFAFA) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.ABCFAFAFA) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.ABCFAFAFA of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

-Added a new type of Gearbox block, or more precisely, split Gearboxes into two different types. The existing one has been renamed to "Redstone Clutch" and its recipe remains the same (using a redstone latch). All existing Gearboxes in your world will be converted to a Redstone Clutch block. The new Gearbox is crafted in the same manner as before, but with an Axle in the middle of the grid, rather than a latch. It functions in a manner identical to the old Gearbox, except it can no longer be turned off via redstone. This was done because I found the increased value of Gearboxes that resulted from the inclusion of the latch in the recipe had unfortunate side-effects like inspiring people to deconstruct their existing devices to build new ones, or to avoid automation projects all together because of gold shortages. Hopefully this change will represent a better balance between gold value and automation fun-time. Note that I've also added new textures for both kinds of Gearboxes to make them more visually distinct.

-Added a new Lightning Rod block that is crafted with a vertical line of 1 gold ingot as a base, with two gold nuggets above it. It replaces the functionality of the old one entirely, and adds a number of additional aesthetic options as well in that it can be anchored to a block in any direction, not just below it. It draws any lightning bolts that are striking a lower point up to 16 blocks away from it horizontally to the rod instead, and this is checked after the bolt is drawn to any nearby high points, guaranteeing that the area around the rod will be totally safe.

-Added a new Iron Spike block that is crafted with a vertical line of 1 iron ingot as a base, with two iron nuggets above it. It is intended to replace the aesthetic uses of the old Soulforged Steel lightning rods, and looks identical to how the old ones did, but with the additional aesthetic options of the new Lightning Rod. A reminder that these kinds of blocks make excellent Candle holders, which is a much bigger deal now given the fire-starting tendency of torches.

-Added the ability to place Chunks of Iron and Gold Ore as blocks, and to smelt them in a Kiln.

-Added the ability to melt down the Piston Shovel in the Crucible.

-Added the ability for ground cover (snow and ash) to share space with a few additional blocks: Shafts, unlit Torches, unlit Campfires, tools stuck in blocks, Flower Pots, Fences, Redstone Dust, Buttons, Levers, Urns, Axles, Vases, Stakes and String.

-Added a concussive effect to lightning strikes.

-Changed Gear Boxes so that they may not be rotated by right clicking if they have any connected axles. This is to make them feel a little more solid once placed, and to prevent accidents involving mistakenly right clicking on a block resulting in broken automation builds.

-Changed Gear Boxes so that they will display their output texture on the side opposite the input, if they have no connected output axles. This sounds complicated but should be intuitive in practice, and makes orienting them easier under many circumstances.

-Changed lightning to "travel" further when looking for a high point to strike.

-Changed lightning strikes to take entities into account in determining the highest point in an area to strike. This makes stuff like standing in an open field, or on a hill, during a lightning storm, an exceedingly bad idea.

-Changed lightning strikes to occur in Desert biomes when there's a storm raging. This makes the desert just a wee bit less of a base building uber biome, and more of a barren uncaring landscape of unending torment.

-Changed the name of the old Lightning Rod to "Old Soulforged Rod", and removed its crafting recipe. It only remains to melt down or for decorative builds that already make use of it.

-Changed how the flames on Candles look, to make them a little more candley.

-Changed Mycelium slabs to display a snow side texture when snow cover is resting on them, just like with the full blocks.

-Fixed a problem where a Mycelium full block wouldn't display its side snow texture if it had snow cover resting on it, and if the snow cover was combined with another block.

-Removed an extraneous space from the filename of the "fcBlockTorchFiniteIdle_burned.png" texture file, as it was reported to be causing problems on some systems.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Whuppee

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.ABCFAFAFA) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you! <3
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Thanks for the new release, as always FC. The QoL stuff for gearboxes plus the recipe change are all super nice, can't wait to get back to mechanical power again
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just updated the link in the OP with a :bee: version with the following change:

-Fixed a problem where the Block Dispenser couldn't place Chunks of Iron and Gold Ore.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're welcome guys! Looking forward to seeing screenshots of candelabra as suffice it to say... I got a bit carried away with that feature :)
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

The gearbox crafting recipe changes are much appreciated and welcome. I remember once getting stuck on a pigman-mobtrap precisely because I lacked gold, which is ironic because the whole point of the mob-trap was to farm gold.
PuddleKat

Post by PuddleKat »

Wow fantastic update certainly solved a few in game dilemmas I was having thanks FC
Fret

Post by Fret »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Changed lightning strikes to take entities into account in determining the highest point in an area to strike. This makes stuff like standing in an open field, or on a hill, during a lightning storm, an exceedingly bad idea.
That's such a cool change! Really love how your making lightning into a real thing.

I'm really happy with the gearbox change, gold was indeed so dear, that it hindered my automation plans. Next question is wether I have the gold to secure all my wooden structures or not.

Also I really like the new possibility of smelting nuggets in the kiln, had nine stags of iron nuggets just laying around, waiting for exactly this change.

Overall great update! Happy you're on a roll again
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

This is amazing. Can we use the candelabrum to enter the sanctum of Moloch?

In seriousness though, I am looking forward to how the gearbox change will affect builds in my immediate future. I was definitely experiencing that "deconstruction problem". I'd have this weird millstone/saw/urn filler set up right next to our windmill, switching things around as we would need them. With the changes to how millstones work (and the resulting necessity to set up hoppers), the gold costs in the early game were becoming really big. Tons of pig man hunting.

Counting down the days until the holiday break ;)
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.ABCFAFAFA of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

-Added a new type of Gearbox block, or more precisely, split Gearboxes into two different types. The existing one has been renamed to "Redstone Clutch" and its recipe remains the same (using a redstone latch). All existing Gearboxes in your world will be converted to a Redstone Clutch block. The new Gearbox is crafted in the same manner as before, but with an Axle in the middle of the grid, rather than a latch. It functions in a manner identical to the old Gearbox, except it can no longer be turned off via redstone. This was done because I found the increased value of Gearboxes that resulted from the inclusion of the latch in the recipe had unfortunate side-effects like inspiring people to deconstruct their existing devices to build new ones, or to avoid automation projects all together because of gold shortages. Hopefully this change will represent a better balance between gold value and automation fun-time. Note that I've also added new textures for both kinds of Gearboxes to make them more visually distinct.
I love this, It makes me want to build truly massive projects. It also makes me more likely to make things like repeaters, since I won't be so dependent for gold to build. Its a great Thanksgiving Day!
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Just wanted to chime in that this gearbox change is a very big deal for me. I've been somewhat robbed of my momentum by my lack of gold lately. Might be time to jump on the server for a new spawn.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Super glad to see both the gearbox and lightning rod changes. Thanks for the update FC!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's been a busy past few days for me, so sorry for not responding more promptly to some of these, but you're all very welcome guys.

I feel kinda bad I didn't clue into the gearbox thing being such a big problem earlier, or more precisely, that I didn't think of resolving it this way before now. I think I'm still in the mode of thinking of blockIDs as a precious commodity that I must preserve at all cost, so something like creating a second Gear Box doesn't necessarily come naturally to me.

But yes, I think it works a lot better now. I've been running axles all over the place in my own base in a manner that I find feels much more fun overall. Good times :)
karnak sam

Post by karnak sam »

Is the link meant to be set to private?
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

karnak sam wrote:Is the link meant to be set to private?
With the release of each new version the old one gets pulled, check it out here ;)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO