New Release! (BTW 4.ABCEEFAB) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.ABCEEFAB) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.ABCEEFAB of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

-Added new regular Torches (the ones made with nethercoal) that start fires above them in the same way as Crude Torches. This does not affect lit torches already placed in the world, so your existing builds are safe. This was done both as part of my ongoing effort to make fire a more interesting part of the game, and also to increase the value of late game lighting options like Glowstone, Light Blocks, and the Lens. These new torches may also be crushed by falling blocks, like Crude Torches. The flame particles have been removed from the old torches, to make them a little easier to identify.

-Added Burned Meat as a new item. It's created when food is cooked for too long over a blazing campfire, and is similar to Cured Meat in terms of being a substandard processed meat product. This will hopefully serve to better instruct new players in how the Campfire works, and can also work as an emergency method of quickly sterilizing meat in a pinch.

-Added a sound effect for when Campfires die down to a small state, to make maintaining them a bit easier. Also changed the sound when they burn out so that it's easier to distinguish from the Crude Torch sound.

-Added the ability to burn flowers in Campfires and Ovens, just in case your world has yet to be completely reduced to an ashen husk.

-Added a Pile Of Gravel drop to the first level of Smooth Stone chiseling, to provide a little more feedback to players that their chiseling is doing something, and to create an interesting mechanic where having a lot of exposed stone has some small advantages in the early game.

-Added Chicken Feed as a new Item. It is created by combining seeds and Bone Meal in the crafting grid. Its role is explained below.

-Added an indicator next to the crafting output when recipes output secondary items (eg. bark and saw dust when splitting logs). Note that I have to manually set these indicators at present, so if I missed any, please let me know.

-Added Bone Fish Hooks as a new item. These are created with a single Bone in the crafting grid, which then turns into an item that needs to be worked over time to complete, similar to knitting.

-Added sound when baiting Fishing Rods.

-Changed the Fishing Rod recipe to be shapeless and to use only a single stick, 2 string, and an iron nugget (or Bone Fish Hook), so that it can be crafted in the player's inventory.

-Changed (decreased) the odds of catching fish somewhat, and changed fishing to require water source blocks rather than just regular water blocks, to prevent some exploits with man made ponds.

-Changed Fishing Rods to have less durability than previously.

-Changed the breeding items for various animals listed below to make wheat less of an uber item and to introduce some additional late game activity diversity. Note that this may make automating the breeding of some of them impossible, which is something that will be addressed in future releases.

-Changed Chickens to breed (lay eggs) with Chicken Feed instead of seeds.

-Changed Pigs to *only* breed with Chocolate, whereas they could be bred with a variety of items previously.

-Changed Sheep to breed with Cookies rather than wheat.

-Changed Cows to breed with Cake rather than wheat.

-Changed fire blocks to no longer be extinguished just by clicking on them in order to make fire a more dangerous and persistent threat, as well as to make it more consistent with the fire mechanics added with burning ladders. Note that fire may still be extinguished with water, or smothered with other blocks, it's just slightly trickier to deal with now.

-Changed (increased) the lag tolerance on Fire Ploughs and Bow Drills slightly to help reduce issues in high latency SMP games.

-Changed the order in which items are shift-clicked into the player's inventory from other containers (like chests) so that it's more consistent with stuff like picking up items. This handles stuff like how when you pickup an item, it'd go to the leftmost slot of your hotbar, but if you shift click it from the crafting grid, it'd go to the rightmost. This is just a small quality of life thing, but the inconsistency really annoyed me.

-Changed the name of Stone blocks to "Smooth Stone" to reduce confusion with the individual Stone item.

-Changed Gravel, Sand, and Dirt blocks to consist of 8 piles (4 for slabs) in order to provide a bit more resolution to pile drops, such as with the change to Smooth Stone chiseling listed above.

-Changed (increased) the minimum amount of hunger the player can respawn with after death, to make death spirals slightly less punishing.

-Fixed a problem where ladders weren't displaying the crack texture correctly while being harvested.

-Fixed a problem where tools placed as blocks wouldn't update neighboring blocks when first placed. This would result in stuff like water not flowing into the block and such.

-Fixed a problem where Snow Golems could not be created with the new snow blocks that were added in a recent release.

-Fixed a problem where pushing both an unfired pottery (like an Urn) block, and the block below it, at the same time with pistons, could result in a visual duplicate of the unfired pottery block.

-Fixed a problem where wolves would sometimes just sit back and chill in the middle of attacking you.

-Removed zombie villagers decaying into regular zombies with time as I didn't like how it played out in the mid to late game when respawning near a village and just needing to wait out the decay to collect the bootsies. Its main purpose was to discourage the early game wheat rush, which is no longer as much of an issue anyways due to the above changes to animal breeding.

Superlative!

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Thordan Ssoa

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.ABCEEFAB) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Thanks for the hard work as always FC. I guess I'm really going to need to start really getting into the automation now. Will be streaming the new update tomorrow night as usual.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
rockoutwill

Post by rockoutwill »

Oh man... looking forward to playing. As usual, im excited and petrified
hawk

Post by hawk »

Part of me hopes the desserts aren't just place holders :)
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed the order in which items are shift-clicked into the player's inventory from other containers (like chests) so that it's more consistent with stuff like picking up items. This handles stuff like how when you pickup an item, it'd go to the leftmost slot of your hotbar, but if you shift click it from the crafting grid, it'd go to the rightmost. This is just a small quality of life thing, but the inconsistency really annoyed me.
I was missing one of old mods that did this change. Thanks
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed (increased) the minimum amount of hunger the player can respawn with after death, to make death spirals slightly less punishing.
We just noticed this yesterday when ada221 spawned near a jungle at night and couldn't stay alive for more than a minute (although he didn't try too hard to not die during the night)
hawk wrote:Part of me hopes the desserts aren't just place holders :)
It does add quite a bit of challenge to get sustainable food up and running. We currently have around 400 hemp plants with 20 chickens on the Sunday MP server, but only 2 stacks of bones, so that'll run out shortly. I guess collecting mob drops at dawn is more important now as will be not relying on just chickens as much.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed a problem where ladders weren't displaying the crack texture correctly while being harvested.
7 years later and you're still fixing Mojang's stuff :p can't wait to get a chance to play again!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Wooow ! I have just To say : Huge tanks FC !
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're most welcome guys! Thank you all for the superlatives :)
hawk wrote:Part of me hopes the desserts aren't just place holders :)
Nope, those aren't placeholders. My note was about it lacking a method to automate some parts of pastry production, not an indication that I was going to switch the breeding items again.

I'll admit that I was a bit tempted to make the pig breeding item donuts for the gag value though ;)
ElectroBot wrote: I was missing one of old mods that did this change. Thanks
Interesting in that I had never really considered that one before. The constant misclicks due to it have been bugging me for years, but I hadn't previously considered doing anything about it.

I might of avoided it in the past due to it being a bit messy in terms of pretty heavily modifying the vanilla GUI to make it happen though.
We just noticed this yesterday when ada221 spawned near a jungle at night and couldn't stay alive for more than a minute (although he didn't try too hard to not die during the night)
I doubt this will help this much. I have some bigger plans in the works for the death experience, and this was just a little tweak to ease the pain slightly in the meantime.
magikeh wrote: 7 years later and you're still fixing Mojang's stuff :p can't wait to get a chance to play again!
Nah, that one was my mistake. There's a bit of weirdness that can occur with lighting on some blocks with the crack texture that I failed to notice when I put out the flammable ladders awhile back. Same thing happened with the brick oven when I first put it out.

It manifests as the block looking like it's being lit up while you hit it. I don't think I ever saw that with vanilla, as I believe it has to do with some of the funky overlay texture stuff I've added.
Fret

Post by Fret »

Love it! The changes to fire, campfires and fishing make a lot of sense. The wheat nerf is also really cool. But I have to say: sheep and cows eating cookies and cake does seem a bit odd.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Great release! This stretches out the abundant food in the game a bit, I like it. Looking forward to seeing how this gets automated.

One side note, are sheep supposed to drop wool blocks when sheared with this release?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fret wrote:Love it! The changes to fire, campfires and fishing make a lot of sense. The wheat nerf is also really cool. But I have to say: sheep and cows eating cookies and cake does seem a bit odd.
Any odder than them giving birth due to being fed a particular food in the first place? :)

I hear what you're saying, and it's certainly something I mulled over for a long time before deciding to take this step, but animal breeding is waaaayyy into abstract gaming territory in the first place. The internal logic I settled on in the end is "ok, what food makes these guys super happy horny fun time?", which I think works very well in terms of cutsy game-reasoning, which tends to be consistent with many parts of MC.

Believe it or not, this is a change I was actually working towards years ago, going back to when I was adding stuff like cookie and cake dough placed as blocks, and automated chocolate production.
SterlingRed wrote: One side note, are sheep supposed to drop wool blocks when sheared with this release?
Nope. That got reported as a bug late last night, I already have a fix, and I'll put out a patch soon as I have some coffee in me :)
Fret

Post by Fret »

FlowerChild wrote: The internal logic I settled on in the end is "ok, what food makes these guys super happy horny fun time?"
Haha I'll believe that
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fret wrote: Haha I'll believe that
If you prefer I can make pigs breed with a chocolate/red flower combo to be a tad more obvious :)
Fret

Post by Fret »

FlowerChild wrote:
Fret wrote: Haha I'll believe that
If you prefer I can make pigs breed with a chocolate/red flower combo to be a tad more obvious :)
YES PLEASE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fret wrote: YES PLEASE!
Hehe, no, I don't want to go quite that far. It's a bit of a balance between too cartoony or too realistic, in which case you'd wind up with this:
Spoiler
Show
Fret

Post by Fret »

Well in that case, I'll be sure to plant a rose garden in the pig pen. (And maybe get them some sadles too.)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just changed the link in the OP to point to a 'b' version with the following change:

-Fixed a problem where Sheep would drop Wool blocks when sheared instead of Wool items.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Updated link in the OP for a 'c' version with the following changes:

-Fixed a problem with a villager trade involving bones that exceeded the new 16 stack limit, making the trade impossible to complete. Any such trades they
may already have will be automatically removed from your villagers.

-Fixed a crash when attempting to use a Fire Charge to light a Brick Oven.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Thanks for the villager fix!

Quick question about the lighting changes: Do jack o'lanterns have the same burning properties as the new torches or are they a cheap way to simulate glowstone?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nope, jack'o'lanterns don't burn stuff (yet). I'm a bit torn on that one and have been debating it with myself, but since it would require a new block ID so that I don't mess with existing builds anyways, I figure I have some time to ponder it.

There's the reduced cost to consider as well as me not wanting to turn everyone's base into a harvest festival :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Having played modpacks... SNIP -Flower
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Having played modpacks
Not interested man. Please don't go off-topic into discussions about other mods.
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

Love love love the fish hooks. Another way to bring food to the table in the early game is priceless.