New Release! (BTW 4.ABCEEEEF) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.ABCEEEEF) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.ABCEEEEF of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

-Added a new Hamper block as an early game storage option. It may be crafted with 8 pieces of Wicker surrounding a single Planks block. It's intended to help smooth out the progression from Baskets to Chests.

-Added the ability to use the Anvil (formerly "Dead Weight") as a Workbench, while removing the ability to craft Workbenches. This means that Stumps and Anvils have now completely replaced vanilla Workbenches in terms of functionality. I also changed a number of aspects of the Anvil's behavior in the process to bring it more in line with other mod blocks. As before, Anvils may be crafted with 7 iron ingots in an "I" pattern, or found in villages.

-Added Metal Fragments as a new item, which result when Anvils are harvested or otherwise broken, and which may be melted down in the Crucible. Anvils can only be moved intact through silk touch or a Block Dispenser.

-Added a GUIless interface to the Mill Stone, gave it an audio and visual revamp, and changed it to only be able to hold a single item at a time. Any items you previously had in one are safe, and can either be retrieved by right clicking on the Mill Stone, or they will be processed as normal until the inventory is exhausted.

-Added crafting sounds to swords.

-Added a lossy conversion recipe from Wicker Baskets back to Wicker items.

-Changed the Mill Stone to eject items in more predictable directions once done milling. This should prevent old issues like items occasionally winding up directly below or above the Mill Stone due to odd trajectories, and make automating it a little more intuitive.

-Changed how items eject from chiseled / incrementally harvested blocks (logs, smoothstone, etc.) to better represent the facing being hit, similar to the above change to the Mill Stone.

-Changed the sounds when placing Chisels as blocks to better reflect the block material they're being placed in.

-Changed the Grate recipe to consist of 5 Shafts in a '+' pattern, with either 4 Hemp Fibers or String in the remaining grid spaces.

-Changed the Wicker Pane recipe to be shapeless with a piece of Wicker and a Grate.

-Changed (reduced) the rate at which the Hardcore Spawn radius increases as the game progresses, to provide more overlap with earlier respawn areas. This is to further incentivize building up individual respawns and overall infrastructure, as there will be a greater chance of being able to make later use of it.

-Changed how Hardcore Spawn works internally to provide more varied respawn locations. This doesn't change any of the related mechanics, it just refines the math involved some so that repeatedly respawning in the same place becomes less likely.

-Changed Giant Spiders to not have silk, and Skeletons to not have bows, when created by mob spawners. This is to reduce rare early game progression workarounds, and to be more consistent with spawner creatures not having weapons and armor.

-Changed Anvils to not spawn in abandoned or partially abandoned villages given how useful they are now.

-Fixed a problem with Hand Cranks, Turntables, and Mill Stones dropping the old Cobblestone blocks when they break.

-Fixed a problem where lightning strikes weren't traveling as far as intended when checking for nearby high points.

-Fixed an occasional crash that would occur with falling blocks.

-Removed the recipe for Chests that involves Planks. This means you'll now need to use a Saw to obtain Wood Siding to create chests, with the Hamper that's been added acting as an earlier storage solution.

Extricate!

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

jackatthekilns

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.ABCEEEEF) - NO SPOILERS

Post by jackatthekilns »

Wow, there is so much here. Sounds like its going to change a great deal. I look forward to trying it out.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Thanks for the new release FC. I'm curious to see how the changes to the millstone work. Hopefully I can find some red stone and start making my way home Tuesday night.

( by the way, I think you meant added instead of acted in that last section)
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
Lord Touch Me

Post by Lord Touch Me »

Thank you for the update. I am very excited to check out the new items and changes in-game.
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Holy shit, yes! Thank you!
Fret

Post by Fret »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Added the ability to use the Anvil (formerly "Dead Weight") as a Workbench, while removing the ability to craft Workbenches. This means that Stumps and Anvils have now completely replaced vanilla Workbenches in terms of functionality. I also changed a number of aspects of the Anvil's behavior in the process to bring it more in line with other mod blocks. As before, Anvils may be crafted with 7 iron ingots in an "I" pattern, or found in villages.
Wow, this is gonna hurt. Great!

Also really like the progression for storage. Chests are op.

edit: Also really loving the changes to millstones. Really cool that you're udating/improving some of the technical blocks in the mod.
Pablo_Sky

Post by Pablo_Sky »

Thx again FC.
I have to remove the anvil from my village near spawn.
Always fair play. For cheat already exists vanilla.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for the enthusiasms guys! Always nice to wake up to :)
Fret wrote: Wow, this is gonna hurt. Great!
I'm particularly fond of that Anvil change. It does good things for promoting surface level construction and such IMO. Previously, right around the time I'd start considering expanding my hidey hole's entry into an actual structure would be around when I'd get myself an axe and start plopping workbenches everywhere. Now, the work-stump becomes an additional building constraint for your other construction.

Lots of additional positive effects on gameplay here and there too, like having to better plan for underground expeditions.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Another ringing endorsement for the changes. I will miss the way thing were for a short time, I do look forward to being forced to turn stumps instead of keeping planks on me.

Sounds like axe is getting knocked down a few pegs for first iron tool.

Nice, Earlier access to window type blocks.

Also appreciate the refactoring to encourage building up bases from 'welp, I'm never going to see this again '.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote: Sounds like axe is getting knocked down a few pegs for first iron tool.
Yeah, that was my one hesitation with some of these changes. The axe had finally found a nice place where the choice of first iron tool was becoming a real debate, and I think the right choice was largely dependent on situation.

Still though, at present, we have both doors and the new hampers being gated by axes, plus any real tech progress is also gated behind them, so I'm not convinced it won't still be a serious consideration for first tool.

I know for myself, reeds are one of the first things I try to track down on a new spawn, so my desire for larger storage plus how I now tend to use doors to "airlock" my early game mines, may be enough to keep me in the axe-first camp.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Oh man, I remember the conversation a while back about maybe moving chests to post-saw, I'm glad that made it in, sounds like tons of fun trying to organize the base pre-saw.

I also love love love the dead weight change. Makes so much sense.

Very cool release man, top of your game!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Oh man, I remember the conversation a while back about maybe moving chests to post-saw, I'm glad that made it in, sounds like tons of fun trying to organize the base pre-saw.
Nothing ever really disappear off my todo lists, even if layers of sediment may occasionally form atop them :)

It's not a huge organizational problem the way I implemented it (unless of course someone is used to not using baskets at all), but it certainly does reinforce the need for reeds and makes them relevant for a larger section of the tech tree. As probably the most basic crop in the game, I find they're a really nice early game intro to farming.

One of my main goals with all the AAAAHHH early game changes has been to diversify player activities in the early game to make it more interesting, rather than just the old "punch 13 wood". Early game farming of reeds is definitely one such area that I've been trying to emphasize.
Very cool release man, top of your game!
Thanks man! I very much appreciate that :)
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Until a week ago I didn't even know you could get planks from an iron axe (i hadnt been that far yet) so I already thought chests we're gated behind a saw. However I'm going to have to destroy the chests in our new little compound. First the spider spawner, now this haha. Loving the changes to bring wicker and grate windows to the early game. I was a little upset that I couldn't make any form of windows considering how wicker is now used so that's great! Excited to demoralise my server population even more :D

On the topic of the change to the spider spawners, we finally got a millstone in our server (discovered how to make smooth stone and I got very excited haha) and the feeling of satisfaction of having string legit was off the charts. I kept jabbing them with the "See!? See why I had to remove the spawner now, we would have cheated ourselves out of this experience!"

Anyway some tough changes here, keep up the good work :)

Edit: Ok I just went in my test world to check the new blocks for texturing and the millstone looks AWESOME. Can't wait to texture that, it's so good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mesh wrote:I was a little upset that I couldn't make any form of windows considering how wicker is now used so that's great!
Well, there was actually. Damaged (chiseled) logs and trap doors both function as improvised windows, but yes, the idea was to provide some more straight forward alternatives that weren't so cheap as to turn them into general building materials.
Edit: Ok I just went in my test world to check the new blocks for texturing and the millstone looks AWESOME. Can't wait to texture that, it's so good
Oh wow, thanks dude. I really don't have any confidence in my (non-existant) art skills, so I appreciate that :)
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, there was actually.
Yeah sorry I actually knew that (That's what we've been using as a substitute, the trap doors), but you know what I mean, window windows hehe.
Oh wow, thanks dude. I really don't have any confidence in my (non-existant) art skills, so I appreciate that :)
Yeah I see how the mechanism works from that, it's great. It now feels more impactful too, like something is really grinding, I know you dislike the UI game so I definitely can appreciate the feel of this and what you're going for
Egger3rd

Post by Egger3rd »

Mesh wrote:Until a week ago I didn't even know you could get planks from an iron axe (i hadnt been that far yet) so I already thought chests we're gated behind a saw.
Yeah, I thought so too. Saw requires planks though, so I figured early game might require going out to an abandoned village and harvesting (which would totally suck).

I'm really loving the recent changes, FC. I've already invested thousands of hours into this mod, and I still can't wait for more.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I am ready to extricate.

Not sure how I feel about the crafting table change, but I am pretty excited about the HC Spawn nerf. My friends and I were a bit frustrated to learn that our hours upon hours of HC Spawn play were nullified by a nether portal and some unfortunate oceans.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
PuddleKat

Post by PuddleKat »

Thanks for yet another release I particularly like the new storage options
The early game is starting to flesh out nicely
GUIless blocks are also a welcome addition hope the trend continues