New Release! (BTW 4.ABCDEFPotato) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.ABCDEFPotato) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.ABCDEFPotato of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

-Added a whole new set of snow blocks that serve as an early game building material. The details of these are left to the player to discover, but one thing to note is that you can build out sideways with them if proper care is taken. Old snow blocks have been renamed as "Old Snow", and may no longer be crafted.

-Added the ability to partially open Wicker Baskets by right clicking on them. Note that the baskets will close automatically when you walk away, but you can also close them manually by clicking on the edge of the lid (a box will appear when you're over the right area).

-Added ability for Lava to set nearby blocks on fire directly. This applies to stuff like Campfires, Unlit Torches, and Logs, that can burn without a neighboring fire block. Keep this in mind if you have any weird builds like Lava running through Log sluices or what have you.

-Added the ability for Ice and Snow Cover blocks to melt due to nearby fire sources, rather than just due to light levels. Please keep this in mind if you have any structures built out of ice.

-Added the ability for Fire Charges to directly ignite blocks like Campfires, Brick Ovens, and Torches when used by the player.

-Change Snow Cover blocks to drop Snowballs regardless of whether they are harvested with a shovel.

-Changed the texture on Wicker Baskets to provide an indication of which way they are facing.

-Changed Ghasts to drop Fire Charges instead of Nitre to make farming them a tad more rewarding.

-Changed Zombie AI to make them a little more interested in accessorizing their wardrobe.

-Changed the way cooking items are positioned within the Brick Oven so they're a little more visible, and so that they orient correctly to the direction the oven is facing.

-Changed how items eject from Wicker Baskets so that they tend to travel towards the front of the basket.

-Changed (adjusted) the selection box on Chewed Logs and Log Spikes to be a little less obtrusive.

-Fixed a problem with Ghast sounds in the overworld, that was causing them to be louder than intended when they weren't attacking anything.

-Fixed a problem where Bloodwood Saplings couldn't plant themselves if Ash was covering a Soulsand block.

-Fixed vanilla problem where you could mine blocks while using an item, like drawing a bow, blocking with a sword, or eating food.

-Removed the generation of Ash from the burning of Bloodwood leaves, as it didn't really suit the nether very well.

-Removed the ability to place string as a block, as it never worked particularly well and conflicts with some of the design intent behind early game storage of items as blocks in the mod.

-Removed the crafting recipes for Tripwire Hooks given the above, and given they're duplicate functionality with the Lens that never suited the mod very well. I probably should have just done this when they were first released, but I was much more timid about removing vanilla features back then. You can still melt them down for a bit of iron in the Crucible if you have any laying about.

-Removed the Tripwire and Dispenser traps from newly generated jungle temples to fit the above. Also removed all remaining Piston and Redstone blocks from newly generated non-looted temples to negate their sometimes progression-breaking impact.

Tuber!

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

PatriotBob

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.ABCDEFPotato) - NO SPOILERS

Post by PatriotBob »

Very nice.

I'm still trying to figure out your versioning scheme. Pretty sure there's a message there...
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you!
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Ooooh i Will try à snow survival !

but now ...If i want to hang myself I can not use the strings anymore I'll have to wait for the rope!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ohh, Igloos! I didn't even think of that. That will really come in handy for me. On my current world, on which I still have yet to die somehow, the spawn is just a ton of ice plains and taiga in all directions.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Ohh, Igloos! I didn't even think of that. That will really come in handy for me.
Well, the system is kindof a hybrid mashup of igloo and quinzee (snow mound shelters) snowbuilding concepts, but yes :)

I've been wanting to do this going all the way back to the original AAAAHHHH release, but it required a number of systems I've been building since then.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just uploaded a 'b' version, and changed the link in the OP to match:

-Fixed potential crash when placing Campfires immediately next to Snow or Ice blocks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Uploaded a 'c' version and changed the link in the OP. Just a recipe addition, so definitely non-critical:

-Fixed a problem where the Minecart With Chest crafting recipe wasn't working.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Pumped that lava pools are no longer tantalizingly useless.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EpicAaron wrote:Pumped that lava pools are no longer tantalizingly useless.
Well, they were quite useful before now in that they could light items (torches), just not blocks.
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Checking back in the mod after a year or two away, i'm super excited you're still at it and adding so much. Many thanks!
I've been greedily looking through the changelog to give myself a fighting chance at whenever my friends can give this another play through.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, they were quite useful before now in that they could light items (torches), just not blocks.
I can imagine how many people will try to make use of this only to accidentally fall into the lava :)
Every feature is a balance of risk/reward, isn't it?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheYaMeZ wrote:Checking back in the mod after a year or two away, i'm super excited you're still at it and adding so much. Many thanks!
I've been greedily looking through the changelog to give myself a fighting chance at whenever my friends can give this another play through.
Oh my. I think you've got a treat coming if you haven't been back in a long time, and by "treat" I of course mean bouts of hysterical screaming madness :)
Panda

Post by Panda »

I'm really liking the new snow changes, it gives snowy biomes a reason to camp in now. I'm really hoping these changes are leading up to a snowpocalypse map wide we need to survive. .... : )
Never say no to Panda.