New Release! (BTW 4.AB4 Bonnets) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.AB4 Bonnets) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.AB4 Bonnets of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

-Added Loose Cobble and Loose Brick Stairs. Both are created with 6 of the corresponding items in a stair pattern. Once placed, mortar may be applied to them, in the same manner as other such blocks.

-Added a new system for placing the various forms of Cobblestone and Brick blocks. The way this works, if you place the loose version of the block, connected to another of the same material (eg. brick next to brick) that already has mortar applied (Clay, Slime, or Nether Sludge), it will stay in place for a brief time before collapsing. This gives you a chance to apply mortar to the new block before it falls, to fix it in place. In addition to spanning gaps, this also allows you to place blocks like upside down slabs and stairs.

-Added the ability to retrieve tools placed as blocks by right clicking.

-Added the ability to use Nether Sludge as mortar.

-Added a more detailed change log for version 4.AAAAAAAAAAHHHH below, which I wrote back when I was working on it.

-Changed the look of Wicker Baskets containing items, to make their state a bit more evident.

-Changed (refactored) the way falling blocks (sand, gravel, etc.) work internally to make it easier to add new blocks of this type (like the stairs in this release).

-Changed (refactored) how many slab blocks work internally for similar reasons.

-Changed how mining speed modifiers due to stuff like hunger and health work internally once again to try to reduce desync problems between client and server. I made some modifications to the networking code for this, which will result in you getting promptly booted if you join a server running an older version.

-Fixed a problem that could cause a crash when placing a tool at the same time as using it to harvest a block. In the process, I also just prevented placing tools while harvesting entirely as it felt rather strange.

-Fixed a vanilla issue where mobs wouldn't catch fire in sunlight if standing on slabs or other partial blocks.

-Fixed how annoying Ghast sounds can be in the overworld, similar how I fixed grinding Netherrack in the past.

-Removed Hardcore Sinkholes from the mod, as the random deaths that were sometimes caused by this feature were too punishing given how much more demanding the early game has become.

-Removed Redstone from loot chests close to the surface due to its progression breaking properties.

-Removed Pumpkin Seeds from the same.

Buzz buzz buzz... just because.

-------------

Version 4.AAAAAAAAAAHHHH Change log:
Spoiler
Show
-Added Chewed Logs as a new block.

-Added Loose Dirt and Loose Dirt Slabs as new blocks.

-Added Loose Cobblestone and Loose Cobblestone Slabs as new blocks.

-Added Loose Brick and Loose Brick Slabs as new blocks.

-Added Pointy Sticks, Sharp Rocks and Iron Chisels as new tools.

-Added Clubs as a new early game weapon.

-Added Fire Ploughs and Bow Drills as new early game fire starters.

-Added Campfires as a new block.

-Added the ability to use Clay and Slimeballs as mortar for Loose Brick and Cobblestone blocks.

-Added the ability to sun dry Bricks.

-Added the Brick Oven as a new block.

-Added Stones as a new item.

-Added chunks and piles of iron and gold ore as new items.

-Added Crude Torches as an early game light source, and changed regular torches so that they may only be crafted with Nethercoal.

-Added Wicker as an individual item, separate from wicker panes, and changed the name of wicker panes.

-Added Wicker Baskets as a new block. They're crafted with 4 pieces of Wicker.

-Changed the Wicker Pane recipe to be Wicker, surrounded by 4 Shafts in the crafting grid.

-Changed Coal to grind to two Piles of Coal dust, instead of 1.

-Changed the Nethercoal recipe in the Cauldron so that it only produces one lump, instead of 4.

-Changed the way Smoothstone and Log blocks work so that they have multiple stages and drops when chiseled down.

-Changed Stone Axes to be crafted with a stone, shaft, and spider silk.

-Changed (refactored) the way the Soulforge renders and detects collisions.

-Changed Endermen so that they don't teleport away on the final hit that kills them.

-Changed (refactored) a bunch of code related to how tools function to help simplify things internally.

-Changed (refactored) how items determine which kind of enchantments apply to them.

-Changed the way clocks and compasses render so that they should only function in the player's inventory (and item frames for clocks). This was also the case before, but I've made the related code a bit more robust to help discourage cheating.

-Changed (refactored) the way the spread of grass from block to block is handled internally to facilitate adding such functionality to new blocks (like Loose Dirt).

-Changed (refactored) how blocks specify if they have a solid top surface (for placement of other blocks like torches and snow) internally to unify mod and vanilla blocks into one system. This may have some noticeable effect in being able to attach some additional blocks to others that weren't possible before.

-Changed (refactored) how the Battle Axe works internally to make it more consistent with how other axes function.

-Changed the Jack O'Lantern recipe to be shapeless.

-Changed nether portals so that they can be opened using a Campfire

-Changed the ladder recipe to require either spider silk or hemp fibers in the previously empty slots between the shafts.

-Changed the Hand Crank, Lever, Dispenser, Detector Block, and Piston recipes to use smooth stone instead of cobble.

-Changed the arrow recipes to a shapeless one that requires flint, a shaft, feathers, and spider silk (or hemp fibers).

-Changed blacksmith houses so that they contain brick furnaces, and only do so in non-abandoned villages.

-Changed abandoned librarian houses to not contain workbenches.

-Changed witch huts to replace the Workbench with a Basket, and removed the Cistern.

-Changed desert wells to have loot Baskets around them.

-Fixed vanilla problem where sand and gravel wouldn't fall if placed above blocks that wouldn't normally support them while falling, like snow, or torches.

-Fixed a problem introduced in a recent release where some creatures would continue to eat food items after they had died.

-Removed ability to start open fires with flint & steel. Now only specific blocks can be lit.

-Removed the ability to cook glass and to smelt ores in block form in the furnace, which means they can only be cooked in the Crucible and Kiln.
-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

jorgebonafe

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.AB4 Bonnets) - NO SPOILERS

Post by jorgebonafe »

The rate you keep putting out these updates is truly impressive... Thanks a lot, man :)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:The rate you keep putting out these updates is truly impressive... Thanks a lot, man :)
You're most welcome! Not too many big ticket items in this release, but lots of under the hood goodies :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Thank you so much for the building changes. I know I was a bit of a pain in the ass about it a while ago, but I do appreciate the change and all the work you've been putting into the mod. I agree with Jorge that the rate of updates is pretty great.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you! <3
Retsamassa455

Post by Retsamassa455 »

FlowerChild wrote:-Fixed a vanilla issue where mobs wouldn't catch fire in sunlight if standing on slabs or other partial blocks.
Thanks for this! Skeletons were starting to use the dirt path I had built to snipe at me in the day.
And yeah, sorry about the miscommunication, i really should have been more descriptive initially.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote:Thank you so much for the building changes. I know I was a bit of a pain in the ass about it a while ago, but I do appreciate the change and all the work you've been putting into the mod.
Hehe... no problem dude. The bonnet here was actually my tongue in cheek reference to the bee in yours on this issue, as I knew it must still be buzzing around in there :)

Sorry it took so long, and thanks for your patience on it these past few weeks. I knew it would take some major refactoring of some underlying block code to do with stuff which would be quite time consuming. Thus I kept prioritizing other issues until I had enough breathing room to tackle this one.
Retsamassa455 wrote: Thanks for this! Skeletons were starting to use the dirt path I had built to snipe at me in the day.
And yeah, sorry about the miscommunication, i really should have been more descriptive initially.
No worries man! Took me awhile to figure it out, but after my initial "wtf?", it was definitely a legit issue that I got on top of right away, so thanks for pointing that out.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:Sorry it took so long, and thanks for your patience on it these past few weeks. I knew it would take some major refactoring of some underlying block code to do with stuff which would be quite time consuming. Thus I kept prioritizing other issues until I had enough breathing room to tackle this one.
It's quite an elegant solution that I actually really like, and never would've thought about myself. Definitely worth waiting for.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote: It's quite an elegant solution that I actually really like, and never would've thought about myself. Definitely worth waiting for.
That's awesome to hear man! Was a bit tricky preserving both the downsides of early game building materials and building options later on, so it's definitely good to hear that someone concerned with the latter likes the result.

Also, there's some cool gameplay falling out of some of the previous changes, like people using Cement probably more than ever before, that I'd prefer not to lose if at all possible.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Eagerly awaiting the release of Hardcore Refactored: Now with entirely rewritten Minecraft source code!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EpicAaron wrote:Eagerly awaiting the release of Hardcore Refactored: Now with entirely rewritten Minecraft source code!
Well, I just kinda realized at a certain point that making extensive edits to a few base classes and replacing child classes with my own was actually a much cleaner way of modding things in a lot of cases, and also made my life a lot easier down the road, than having a whole bunch of one and two line changes scattered all over the code base.

Also, I think I may have mentioned this before, but when I thought there was a limited number of blocks I'd ever be adding to the code base, it just didn't make sense to re-engineer a lot of the existing code to be more general purpose, as that would have just taken more development time than special casing the few blocks I had left. Now that I have a lot more room to develop into, cleaning things up to speed up ongoing development makes a lot more sense.

To give a specific example, reworking the existing falling block code to be able to accommodate more arbitrary block shapes like stairs makes no sense if I may only be adding a single additional falling block (if any) with a handful of remaining blockIDs :)
DesLien

Post by DesLien »

I never thought I would enjoy the new BTW experience, but I came around. Took a few weeks of getting my arse kicked and rage quitting, though. Then it finally hit me: I was actually using my head to conquer the world around me rather than auto piloting diamond. I'm on my 6th respawn in my current world and have reached crafting table status on a few spots and I am looking forward to connecting all of my hidey holes eventually. I really love the direction you've been taking BTW FC and can't wait to see what else you've got in store.
"Out come all his roughness, all his dulness, all his incapability;
shame upon shame, failure upon failure, pause after pause: but out comes the whole majesty of him also..." -John Ruskin
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DesLien wrote:I really love the direction you've been taking BTW FC and can't wait to see what else you've got in store.
Thanks for that man! I think up until a couple of releases ago I had pushed it to be a bit too challenging, but since then it's getting close to the "just right" level.

Anyways, glad more people are starting to have fun with it :)
MAZD1X1E

Post by MAZD1X1E »

WOW! Thanks to the way real life can get in the way, I haven't really visited the forum in the last few months, and I come back to find that BTW has apparently become 'BTW 2: Hardercore Edition'. I'm gonna have to dig out the instructions on how to mod Minecraft again. Also need to stock up on tissues to mop up the tears after all the hardcore spawns that are likely to occur due to not having read any spoilers...
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Ok WOW! It has been a long time since I have check this mod for new updates, but unholy cows have you changed this game! I haven't had the chance to really play long term yet, but I really love how the beginning has changed, makes the game feel new and fresh. Looking forward to playing this when I have more free time.

My computer's GPU died a little while ago, so thanks especially for updating one of the very few games I can actually play on an integrated GPU. I'll provide a lot more feedback once I actually get a chance to play, haven't had the chance to do much for quite a while now, but glad my free time is coinciding with your updates!
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

I've been really happy with every update that comes out, it's sparking the excitement for Minecraft all over again!

On the topic of this update, the changes for building the cobble/brick blocks is really nice. I've been enjoying putting them in the ceilings sometimes so this is a really nice QoL feature. Also, stairs, woo!
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added a more detailed change log for version 4.AAAAAAAAAAHHHH below, which I wrote back when I was working on it.
Thanks for this, and for the release. Havn't had anything substantive to contribute the past couple weeks but have enjoyed BTW, and minecraft, more than ever since the AA versions. Hoping with the above I can coax back in my pre-AA BTW buddy, who had thrown in the towel. Cheers.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Caevin wrote: On the topic of this update, the changes for building the cobble/brick blocks is really nice. I've been enjoying putting them in the ceilings sometimes so this is a really nice QoL feature. Also, stairs, woo!
I was notified of a few problems with how the blocks stick to each other in Thor's stream yesterday, so that should be working even better with the next release :)
utakataJ6 wrote: Thanks for this, and for the release. Havn't had anything substantive to contribute the past couple weeks but have enjoyed BTW, and minecraft, more than ever since the AA versions.
Glad you're enjoying it man! It's really gratifying to see how many old faces are returning to the mod with this new batch of releases :)
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Wait what, slimeballs can be used as mortar too?

<head explodes>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wibbles wrote:Wait what, slimeballs can be used as mortar too?
Hehe... yeah. Clay is only really meant as early game mortar. If you have a decent mob trap going for slime, it's a better alternative later on.

I wavered on including the sludge as mortar as I didn't want to devalue the slime just when it's finally found a place, but sludge is so difficult to automated, I doubt that's a serious consideration.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

I have to echo utakataJ6's sentiment here. It's really nice seeing all these updates to BTW again, I can't convince any of my friends to start a new SMP game with me though... maybe I should get new friends?

As always everything is extraordinarily well done FC. Thanks again.
It's been years since I have rage quit anything, so thanks for that bit of nostalgia too. :)
Last edited by PatriotBob on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PatriotBob wrote:I can't convince any of my friends to start a new SMP game with my though... maybe I should get new friends?
As with any family members that interfere with BTW playtime... dump them.