New Release! (BTW V4.AAHHHHHHhhhhhh) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.AAHHHHHHhhhhhh) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.AAHHHHHHhhhhhh of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added a slightly decreased sense of soul crushing despair to the early game as part of my ongoing balancing efforts. Yes, this means I just made things slightly easier for once, but please be assured that I'm having a full set of medical tests conducted.

-Added some Reeds to newly generated Jungle biomes to provide additional sources of them in the early game.

-Added the Bone Club as a new early game weapon. It's an upgrade over the wood one, and is crafted with two bones in a vertical line.

-Added "smouldering" state to the Campfire, that will allow you to relight one that's burned out for some time afterwards, just by adding fuel. Note that any cooking progress is lost when this happens, and it takes time for the fire to fully relight, so it's still important to tend your fires.

-Added the ability to place most tools as blocks, to act as an early game storage alternative and decorative option. They may only be placed on blocks that each particular tool is effective on (axes on logs for example).

-Added a new Clay Block which is crafted with 9 Clay Balls either in the crafting grid or through Hardcore Packing. For the most part it's functionally equivalent to the old naturally generated Clay blocks, which have been changed to have a new look, and to only drop a single Clay Ball and some dirt when harvested. Note that the new ones need to be supported by a block below them (like other Unfired Pottery), which may affect existing Pottery builds. The old ones may be converted to 9 Clay Balls in the crafting grid if you have any in storage.

-Added conversion recipes from Iron and Gold Ore blocks, to Chunks of Iron and Gold Ore.

-Added Mycelium slabs, and the ability for Mycelium to spread to loose dirt.

-Changed (tweaked) the efficiency of the Pointy Stick and Sharp Stone to be slightly faster, to provide a little more wiggle room in the first day, and to help differentiate them from using your hands, and from each other.

-Changed (tweaked) Unfired Bricks to cook more quickly in the sun.

-Changed (tweaked) Chunks of Iron and Gold Ore to be crafted with two piles of the associated type rather than four.

-Changed the name of the Club to "Wood Club" and gave it knockback to make it slightly more worthwhile.

-Changed how Groth, the Brick Oven, snow, stairs, and slabs work internally to help improve rendering performance.

Ahhhhhhh...

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Whuppee

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.AAHHHHHHhhhhhh) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Whuppee »

Yay! Thank you! <3
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added "smouldering" state to the Campfire, that will allow you to relight one that's burned out for some time afterwards, just by adding fuel. Note that any cooking progress is lost when this happens, and it takes time for the fire to fully relight, so it's still important to tend your fires.

-Changed (tweaked) Unfired Bricks to cook more quickly in the sun.

-Changed (tweaked) Chunks of Iron and Gold Ore to be crafted with two piles of the associated type rather than four.
These three in particular are going to make the early game so much nicer. The constant work is, as always, appreciated FC.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

-Added a new Clay Block which is crafted with 9 Clay Balls either in the crafting grid or through Hardcore Packing. For the most part it's functionally equivalent to the old naturally generated Clay blocks, which have been changed to have a new look, and to only drop a single Clay Ball and some dirt when harvested. Note that the new ones need to be supported by a block below them (like other Unfired Pottery), which may affect existing Pottery builds. The old ones may be converted to 9 Clay Balls in the crafting grid if you have any in storage.
Was wondering when you'd make it so a small patch of clay in a river wouldn't be enough to make 6 ovens or so. It felt somewhat out of place given the other resource changes

Also pretty excited about the reed spawn change if/when I die next. I've only managed to get reeds before my first iron axe once so far. Mostly on me though given my inability to survive long term in half the biomes in the game and relatively stationary starts.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

-Added some Reeds to newly generated Jungle biomes to provide additional sources of them in the early game....
I feel like there is a piece of the changelog missing here:
... so come get them. It'll be allright. The sun is out. You'll be safe.
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Sat May 19, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I have to say, this is my favorite post-AAAAH update so far :). The Bone Club is giving me a bone club.
FlowerChild wrote:-Added some Reeds to newly generated Jungle biomes to provide additional sources of them in the early game.
Nope nope nope nope nope... * goes into the rocking back and forth corner again *
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks guys! Was nice to wake up to the happiness :)

I had a lot of back and forth debates with myself about these changes over the past few weeks, but I must admit the previous state of the early game was getting a bit too intense, even for me, with repeated playthroughs.

I was finding it similar to my experiences with some horror games in the past, where the prolonged anxiety eventually makes a good game less fun (for me personally anyways), and the motivation to play eventually dwindles away. Anyways, I'm finding the play in this release to be much more approachable and enjoyable in the long term.
jorgebonafe wrote:... so come get them. It'll be allright. The sun is out. You'll be safe.
Lol! Yeah, very true. Even when I'm being nice, I'm doing it in a somewhat evil way :)
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Just played for 6+ hours straight and had a blast. I didn't think I would ever do that again on a new version!

I really appreciate these changes. The bone club is a wonderful stone axe substitute, and the improved drying time keeps the game moving at a reasonable pace (my vision went red the last time a random rainstorm set my clay back an entire hour). I was so certain that the new early game had killed my enjoyment of the mod, but this update reeled me right back in.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Wanted to say thank you for the ability to place tools as blocks. I have been leaving nearly dead axes as I am out and about, it has added a nice little lived in feeling to my world. I can't wait to stumble upon one and be grateful for what I currently see as trash.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:Wanted to say thank you for the ability to place tools as blocks. I have been leaving nearly dead axes as I am out and about, it has added a nice little lived in feeling to my world. I can't wait to stumble upon one and be grateful for what I currently see as trash.
You're welcome :)

I'm using it a lot too during play. Once you get rolling, leaving a stone axe stuck in a stump outside a shelter acts both as a leg up and as a great hidey hole marker. As you say too, it is a nice little aesthetic touch that gives a homesteading feel to a place.

Another aspect I'm digging, is that I love sticking iron chisels in the sides of blocks instead of taking them out with me.
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

Yay! My wife and I just entered the nether and I have to admit that we've been doing more of a dress rehearsal than a play through because the thought of HCS has been dreadful (in the full sense of the word). I'll see if I can sweet talk her into a restart. Maybe if I go with, "Sorry, honey. Server got corrupted during a backup. We're going to have to restart.", I'll have fewer things thrown at my head. [Edit - Nothing got thrown but there was... many a discouraging word. :) ]

Thanks, FC!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: I was finding it similar to my experiences with some horror games in the past, where the prolonged anxiety eventually makes a good game less fun (for me personally anyways), and the motivation to play eventually dwindles away. Anyways, I'm finding the play in this release to be much more approachable and enjoyable in the long term.
This was exactly my feeling after playing a bit after the everything change but I decided to just take a break but now with these most recent changes I find playing much more pleasant.