New Release! (BTW V4.AABBBbbb) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.AABBBbbb) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.AABBBbbb of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Knitting.

-Added a new interface for interacting with one of the early game blocks. Note that nothing you had in it will be lost. Just right click on it with an empty hand to retrieve any previously stored items.

-Added conversion recipes for a few early game items to turn them into saw dust. This acts as a backup method for burning them in a pinch.

-Changed stone picks to provide an enhanced sense of soul crushing suckitude.

-Changed cobble slabs to be craftable in the player's inventory.

-Changed stone and dirt to drop whole blocks when harvested with the appropriate tools.

-Changed stone pickaxe recipe to use three stone and the stone axe to use 2 to be more consistent with other tools of the same type.

-Changed spider silk drops to be slightly more random. The overall mechanism remains unchanged from last release however.

-Changed spiders to not lose interest in the player quite so easily in sunlight if they are actively engaged in combat. However they now have a greater tendency to chill out when you're not fighting them.

-Changed (increased) the duration of food poisoning to make eating uncooked food less effective.

-Changed how one of the early game blocks detect collisions slightly, so that it's easier to click on blocks neighboring it.

-Changed the old (non flammable) versions of workbenches chests, and webs, in item form to have different "Old Foo" names, and added conversion recipes for them to turn them into the new items. This is to avoid confusion with them not stacking with the newer ones.

-Changed fire to deliver a mild burning sensation.

-Changed creepers to be slightly more dangerous to toy with.

-Changed nether portals to have slightly broader lighting requirements in terms of the types of fires within them.

-Changed rotten flesh and bone blocks so that they can *only* be created through hardcore packing with pistons, and not through the crafting grid.

-Changed carved pumpkins to not drop as an item when destroyed.

-Fixed a problem with collision volumes on some mod blocks (like the Soulforge) where they weren't being rotated correctly.

-Fixed a problem where the old non-flammable chest blocks would not display properly next to the new flammable ones.

-Fixed a problem with placed shafts not always rendering all their sides.

-Fixed problem with the Millstone applying ranged effects while ignoring height.

-Fixed a problem with items rendering within mod blocks sometimes being at the wrong angle when using the fast graphics setting.

-Fixed problem with Stump Remover not working on some stump types.

-Fixed problem where chests and some stairs couldn't be harvested with silk touch.

AAAHH?

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Caevin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.AABBBbbb) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Caevin »

Woo, looks like a fun update! Thanks Flowerchild.
I'm glad this came at the end of my stream though and not before, that pick change especially sounds delightful. I bet I'll suffer with that tomorrow when I play again. Between that and the creeper change I imagine I'll run into some !FUN! times on my latest hardcore respawn :D
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you!
Psion

Post by Psion »

FlowerChild wrote: This release contains the following changes:

-Changed (increased) the duration of food poisoning to make eating uncooked food less effective.
i am... was...so guilty of abusing this when trying to wander back from a HCS XD
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed stone and dirt to drop whole blocks when harvested with the appropriate tools.
So glad to see this change, the inventory clutter was a bit much. Unfortunately I can't play this weekend but I'm looking forward to playing the update when I can. I'm interested in what the stone pick change is.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote: So glad to see this change, the inventory clutter was a bit much.
Yup, I agree... obviously, given I made the change :)

I was interested in seeing what solutions people would come up with to deal with it, even having some vague dreams that it might even inspire greater minecart usage, but in practice, it didn't have any positive effects on gameplay that I witnessed.

Anyways, in combination with some of the other changes that I made in this release, I was able to preserve some of the cooler early game aspects of it, while decreasing the later game burden of it.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Oh hey there, a new release. Thanks for the hard work as always FC, and especially thank you for not dropping this an hour before my stream starts. :P I will be streaming it tomorrow afternoon, as usual. Lot of nice quality of life stuff here, super curious about what Hardcore Knitting is.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just uploaded a 'b' version to correct the following:

-Fixed problem where your very first tool no longer worked, which interfered with tech progression slightly.

I died in my own game shortly after putting out the release, and after the initial "wtf?", face palmed long and hard on my complete inability to get anywhere :)

Link has been updated in the OP.
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Knitting.
Such a happy moment figuring that out. Thanks!!
ion

Post by ion »

love it.
Spoiler
Show
knitted some cloth and made myself a nice suit. still no sandals.
the new oven is wonderful and what you did with the overlay info for it is really great of an no UI block.
and i enjoy the movement towards packing items
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:love it.
Very much appreciate the sentiment but I'll spoiler the above as it's a tad beyond what's mentioned in the release notes :)
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

Ok. I'm sorry, FC. I got rattled there for a second. I should have had more faith. The biggest change seemed too much of a push towards
Spoiler
Show
food micro-management
until I stopped for more than 2 seconds of thinking how much better the previous mechanism was and realized the obvious solution. I now see the change as a work of art both for the mechanics and the place it has in the BTW tech tree.

Bravo!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just uploaded a 'bb' version, and changed the link in the OP to direct to it:

-Fixed a problem with wool knit colors only displaying as black in multiplayer. Unfortunately this causes some loss of fidelity when mixing colors when creating the knit (most will mix to grey unless identical colors are used), but I'll attempt to improve on that in the future.

-Fixed an issue with some smoke particle effects acting weird when the player got near to them.

Just minor visual fixes but they detracted from the new features in some unfortunate ways.
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed a problem with wool knit colors only displaying as black in multiplayer. Unfortunately this causes some loss of fidelity when mixing colors when creating the knit (most will mix to grey unless identical colors are used), but I'll attempt to improve on that in the future.
Spoiler
Show
I don't know if this is related to this fix, but I seem to be getting solid black items when crafting with white wool knit - This is in multiplayer using the latest release (4.AABBBbbbbb).
Spoilered just in case:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PhilanthropicAn ... gPicoMause
https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyWimpyQueleaAllenHuhu
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Briali wrote: I don't know if this is related to this fix, but I seem to be getting solid black items when crafting with white wool knit - This is in multiplayer using the latest release (4.AABBBbbbbb).
Gods damn it :)

Yeah, I think I may have fixed that same problem for wool knit, then went and forgot to make the corresponding change for the wool items themselves. I can't really be too coy about bug fixes, so I think we can drop the worries about spoilers on this one.

Will take a look.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just updated the link in the OP to a 'bbb' version:

-Fixed a problem where wool knit colors weren't mixing properly when creating wool armor.