New Release! (BTW V4.AABABABA) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.AABABABA) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.AABABABA of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added flammability to workbenches, chests, wood doors, and webs. Note that this does not affect blocks already placed in the world, and thus will not put your existing builds at risk.

-Added different harvesting properties to webs that are left for players to discover.

-Added the ability to stick shafts into the sides and bottom of "soft" (dirt, sand, etc.) blocks.

-Added an alternate recipe for one of the early game items involving Hemp Fibers.

-Added an alternate Planter recipe involving additional types of dirt.

-Added the ability to melt down an early game iron item in the Crucible.

-Added crafting sounds to shears, hoes, and all diamond tools.

-Changed book items so that they can no longer be crafted, and thus must be found as loot in the world to be used in enchanting. This is intended to increase the significance of leveling up your enchanting capability, as well as the value of loot locations and strongholds.

-Changed the book and quill to be craftable with 3 paper, a feather, ink sack, and leather, essentially combining it with the old book recipe.

-Changed villager trades slightly to adjust for the above book recipe change.

-Changed regular zombies to no longer break down doors and other similar blocks. This may seem odd for BTW, but I think it never worked very well or brought much to the game, really just causing players to not use wood doors anymore. Now that wood doors are part of the progression, this change allows them to provide a nice quality of life improvement as you move ahead. Note that this change does not apply to zombie villagers or other creatures that may possess this ability, so wood doors may still not be suitable for all uses.

-Changed stone shovels to be accessible a bit earlier in the tech progression. I won't state the recipe here to avoid spoilers, but it's very similar to the other early stone tools.

-Changed the stone axe recipe to not be shapeless to accommodate the above shovel change.

-Changed stone shovels to be slightly less effective to fit the above change, and to further emphasize iron shovels as an upgrade.

-Changed Blazes to drop the same number of rods regardless of whether they're killed by a player or not.

-Changed how spiders produce and drop silk to reduce the effectiveness of some forms of spider farming.

-Changed the way cobblestone, sandstone, and brick blocks (including slabs and stairs) drop as items with explosions, or with the inappropriate tool.

-Changed gravel blocks to potentially drop flint regardless of the tool type used on it.

-Fixed an issue with map items not updating properly when held by the player.

-Fixed a problem with mod slabs where you could place them clipping through the player when combining them with other slabs.

-Fixed a problem where chiseled sandstone would drop sand that does not stack with other items of the same type, and another similar problem with stone dropped from cobble walls.

-Removed redstone dust from looted jungle temples given it's now rather uber.

Aloha!

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Whuppee

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.AABABABA) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you! <3
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

I swear you do this right before I stream on purpose....

Thanks for the update though, early shovels and the ability to use doors again will both be greatly appreciated.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:I swear you do this right before I stream on purpose....
Well, I actually do kinda :)

Knowing I'm going to be able to see someone play a new release and thus be able to go to bed knowing everything is working well is a fairly strong motivator for me to wrap up what I'm working on. Plus it kinda sucks watching a stream that doesn't include all the new features I have in my own version ;)

Remember: you're not paranoid if they're really out to get you.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Really liking the changes to zombies and doors. Mostly it's nice because I no longer have to make cheaty / inconvenient entrances to animal pens. Slightly concerned about the "other creatures that may possess this ability" part though...
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Panda

Post by Panda »

I am so happy about the door thing! I always get butt hurt when i make a pretty early game "house" and need to bury my door!

Now i guess The Doors will no longer Break On Through to the other side.

Ive been waiting to make that pun BTW...
Never say no to Panda.
Fret

Post by Fret »

Some really cool changes man.
-Changed book items so that they can no longer be crafted, and thus must be found as loot in the world to be used in enchanting. This is intended to increase the significance of leveling up your enchanting capability, as well as the value of loot locations and strongholds.
How is that some of best improvements on Minecraft is just removing the ability to craft an item? xD
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fret wrote:How is that some of best improvements on Minecraft is just removing the ability to craft an item? xD
That one is really weird isn't it? When it first occurred to me to remove the book recipe, I found myself wondering if that was somehow what Notch had originally intended, and it had just gotten mixed up somehow.

It just makes way more sense overall this way.

In retrospect though, I think that bookshelves and books may have existed before enchanting, which might explain why things evolved the way the did.
hawk

Post by hawk »

This changelog is full of awesomeness, top to bottom! Thanks for a great update and all the hard work!
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

Yay! Thank you.

I felt like I was cheating terribly when I cranked the gamma to pick out stone during the night more easily. I'm hopeful the shovel change will push the current balance back enough for me so I don't feel like I need a lucky break to last the first few days. (Sadly on a business trip right now so gotta wait until the weekend to find out.)
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

Thanks again for another awesome update. I've yet to actually make it past early game but I really am enjoying how the mod feels. Been playing it for years, still enjoy it :D

And the maps are fixed, woo!
Also, I love shovels with a passion, having them available earlier makes me so pleased.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Caevin wrote: And the maps are fixed, woo!
Sorry that I took so long in releasing that fix after saying I'd try to put it out several days ago. I kept falling into the "just want to get this one last thing in" cycle for several days :)

I really need to remember not to state or imply dates or times. It never does anything good for me or anyone else.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

FlowerChild wrote:
Caevin wrote: And the maps are fixed, woo!
Sorry that I took so long in releasing that fix after saying I'd try to put it out several days ago. I kept falling into the "just want to get this one last thing in" cycle for several days :)
A fix is a fix, and I greatly appreciate the fact you're putting your time into the mod. There's plenty of time ro enjoy stuff, what's the difference of a few days?

I have yet to survive past early game so I've got it a long time one until I can enjoy the later features anyhow.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Coming out of my lurker's hidey-hole to congratulate you for all the recent releases. I think the sheer amount of them are slowly pulling me back towards BTW due to gravitational forces alone...

Regarding this release, the shovel change probably caused a sigh of relief across your whole player base :-D
Also, this intrigues me, though it probable shouldn't as I've most likely not watched enough footage to understand its implications yet.
Spoiler
Show
-Added the ability to stick shafts into the sides and bottom of "soft" (dirt, sand, etc.) blocks.
Thanks!
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote: -Added the ability to stick shafts into the sides and bottom of "soft" (dirt, sand, etc.) blocks.
It's mainly an early game landmark thing. I don't want to get into spoilers for other blocks which motivated it, but for various reasons it became difficult to setup directional markers early game, and it resulted in some gamey behavior like having to use torches or what have you to achieve the same effect.

So yeah, not really a functionality thing, more of a "I really wish I could just stick this here to find my way back" thing :)