New Release! (BTW V4.A6 Sided Sideshow) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.A6 Sided Sideshow) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.A6 Sided Sideshow of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Changed the way boat handling works, so that when holding a sail, a constant forward motion will be applied to the boat without the player having to hold down a control. How it works should be obvious in practice, but the intent is to make long voyages and looking around while boating more convenient.

-Changed the way the player dismounting boats or other vehicles (minecart, pigs) works so that it favors the direction they are looking in, and placing them on dry land.

-Fixed problem with the bounding box on the Dormant Soulforge being too large.

-Fixed glaring oversight where Skulls could not be placed atop Shafts.

-Fixed a bug with an older priest villager trade that was causing chunk corruption in some saves. My sincerest apologies to anyone that may have lost part of their world as a result. This fix is the primary reason for this release.

AAAAAAAHHHHH!

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Gilberreke

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.A6 Sided Sideshow) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Gilberreke »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
FlowerChild wrote:Fixed glaring oversight where Skulls could not be placed atop Shafts.
This will give some much needed extra panache to my spike pits. Some vines on top, a pit below, some shafts, a few skulls, it just really ties the room together.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

Thanks for such a prompt response with the chunk issue man, much appreciated.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ozziie wrote:Thanks for such a prompt response with the chunk issue man, much appreciated.
No man, seriously, thank you for helping me track it down. The bloody thing was so obscure that it would have been a nightmare to find without the steps to reproduce you provided.

I feel really bad that you and Sterling Red lost data to this. I should have listened to my instincts when he first mentioned it, so I'm very happy you at least had a backup to revert to.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote: I feel really bad that you and Sterling Red lost data to this. I should have listened to my instincts when he first mentioned it, so I'm very happy you at least had a backup to revert to.
Dude, don't sweat it! I didn't provide very many specific details, so it would have been near impossible to figure out from my information alone, and it seems I'm a bit late to the party on getting you specifics.

Thank you for the fix! I've enjoyed BTW immensely over the years and have not encountered another game whose developers put as much thought and care into it as you have. Your work is excellent as always!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: Dude, don't sweat it! I didn't provide very many specific details, so it would have been near impossible to figure out from my information alone, and it seems I'm a bit late to the party on getting you specifics.
Thanks for your understanding man, I really appreciate it.

In retrospect I'm scratching my head as to how I could have avoided it, as because the trade that triggered the bug (it was the old nether star level up on the priest) was already removed a couple of releases ago, no amount of testing I could have done locally would have triggered it.

I may take a look at the vanilla code that reverts chunks if there's something wrong with a single entity within them, and instead go for deleting the entity itself with a warning to the chat that it's happened, leaving the chunk itself alone.

I understand why Notch must have done it this way, essentially as a catch all to prevent a bad chunk from entirely wrecking someone's save, but man, it makes entity coding a minefield in that one mistake can wreck people's builds.

Anyways, thanks for being so cool about it.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Gilberreke wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
FlowerChild wrote:Fixed glaring oversight where Skulls could not be placed atop Shafts.
This will give some much needed extra panache to my spike pits. Some vines on top, a pit below, some shafts, a few skulls, it just really ties the room together.
Offline, the terms "shaft," "haft," "stick," "skewer," and any others present in BTW that I might've missed tend to be either interchangeable or else differ only subtly.

Is there a way to distinguish them thematically? I ask in the context of introducing one or more BTW-noob friends to the game, spanning the gamut of vMC experience. I ask cosmetically, of course.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MisterFister wrote:Offline, the terms "shaft," "haft," "stick," "skewer," and any others present in BTW that I might've missed tend to be either interchangeable or else differ only subtly.
Do we have skewers? That would complicate things :)

I think of a stick as equivalent to a branch: potentially crooked and not suitable for much in terms of crafting. I changed the name to "shafts" to actually differentiate between your average stick that you'd think you can just grab off any old tree, and the rare one that would be a perfect size and shape for use in crafting. It's largely intended to answer to the question "why can't I just grab any old stick off a tree to make this stuff"?

A shaft would be that long straight piece of wood, suitable to crafting.

A haft would be a further processed piece of wood shaped and coated to be used as the grip on more advanced tools and weapons.

So really, it's a question of degree of refinement. Not sure where the skewers come in with the mod though, other than with the ones abstracted with the kebabs. In that case, I'd just say it's a pointy shaft.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

FlowerChild wrote:
MisterFister wrote:Offline, the terms "shaft," "haft," "stick," "skewer," and any others present in BTW that I might've missed tend to be either interchangeable or else differ only subtly.
Do we have skewers? That would complicate things :)

-snip-

So really, it's a question of degree of refinement. Not sure where the skewers come in with the mod though, other than with the ones abstracted with the kebabs. In that case, I'd just say it's a pointy shaft.
Cool. And yes, I was thinking toward kebabs.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.