New Release! (BTW V4.A4 Kiloblock Boon) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.A4 Kiloblock Boon) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.A4 Kiloblock Boon of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added internal support for extended block IDs beyond the base 256 to facilitate future expansion of the mod. This is based on Yhetti's code in the Deco add-on, with permission, so major thanks to him for his efforts over the years in helping this happen.

-Added a Rotten Flesh storage block (9 in the crafting grid), largely as a test of the above functionality as it makes use of the extended block IDs. These blocks may also be assembled with pistons via Hardcore Packing. Please let me know if you experience any odd behavior with these blocks as it will help me ensure that extended block IDs are working well before I make further use of them.

-Added a new interface for villager trading to help cut down on the amount of clicking in the mid to late game. This will hopefully make the large number of trades that must be performed to get to the end much more convenient overall.

-Added the ability to filter Glowstone into Brimstone with a Hopper and Soul Sand filter. Like with filtering Ground Netherrack and Soul Dust, this will also produce souls which may be captured with an Urn. This provides a method of producing limited amounts of gunpowder earlier in the tech tree.

-Added ability to assemble Blocks Of Bone with Pistons via Hardcore Packing.

-Added a couple of additional factors to not worry about. In particular, you should be entirely unconcerned when performing activities that might result in loose tormented and likely deranged souls meandering about, especially if you have high level villagers nearby whose well-being you are totally chill about. You will totally not at all painfully face palm at the realization of how obvious a danger this doesn't represent if you just breath deeply, relax about the whole thing, and go about your business as if I hadn't said anything. This should not be misinterpreted as some kind of warning, as really, there's always been nothing to worry about. I have no idea why you're making such a big deal about this and I refuse to humor your dysfunction any longer.

-Changed priest villagers to have an extra trade slot available at high level to help offset some of the lack of variety in their trades. This became a problem due to the mandatory trade offers I implemented in the previous release.

-Changed the order in which the Librarian trades are unlocked, and some of the level-up trades slightly to create a more interesting progression.

-Changed a few other minor villager trades here and there, particularly peasant trades.

-Changed (tweaked) the Block of Bone texture slightly to appear a little more aged.

-Changed Lilly Pads so that they can't be placed as blocks. Sorry, too sploity, as they could easily be used to take a lot of the tension and danger out of longer boating trips.

-Fixed a bug where the furnace gauge wouldn't always display correctly after a save / load.

-Fixed problem with Hardcore Packing where sometimes blocks would get packed as the piston was retracting instead of extending.

-Fixed problem that was causing Jungle Spiders to spawn in fewer numbers than they should have. You're welcome.

Tomato! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

destineternel

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.A4 Kiloblock Boon) - NO SPOILERS

Post by destineternel »

Another update.....happy dance! thanks FC. Diggin the boat changes from the last update. :)

ps. ahahahaahaha the lilypad change.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I'll miss being able to put lilypads on my farms water sources, but I can't but agree with the objective of the change.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.A4 Kiloblock Boon of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

-Fixed problem that was causing Jungle Spiders to spawn in fewer numbers than they should have. You're welcome.
In my new world I did make a few stupid dashes around the jungle for stuff, and was surprised how often I didn't get attacked, this makes sense.

Also, I really like gunpowder being available it a bit earlier in limited amounts. Thanks!

Also, I'm really not scared, not even a little, not worried at all, nope not me.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Niyu wrote:I'll miss being able to put lilypads on my farms water sources, but I can't but agree with the objective of the change.
Do not despair! I've actually been thinking of making them farmable, which would include a method of placing them in more reasonable locations. With the new block IDs I have available, I don't have any reason to not do stuff like that anymore.

After I got the new villager interface in though, I decided I didn't want to delay release of that, as I find it makes a HUGE difference to the enjoyment level of trading, and I didn't want to subject players to the old method any longer than necessary :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

This is a very cool release. I love all these changes, especially the extra trading love and the earlier gunpowder. I agree that being able to put lily pads on 1-deep water or whatever might be a nice bonus for the future, but I definitely think that they were my goto strategy for boating oceans for a little too long. Stellar job.

Hmm, I'll have to open a thread to brainstorm on how to cross those giant 7000 block oceans I seem to get every other spawn. Nether travel and pray? Pro tunnel strats? Hatsies Grand Slalom? This'll be interesting for sure! :)
Fixed problem that was causing Jungle Spiders to spawn in fewer numbers than they should have. You're welcome.
It's been a while since I used the ole rocking back and forth corner. Excuse me for a while.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for all the enthusiasms guys! Always puts a smile on my face :)
Gilberreke wrote:I agree that being able to put lily pads on 1-deep water or whatever might be a nice bonus for the future
I was actually going to do exactly that (1 or 2 deep still water actually, to somewhat mimic their natural appearance in swamps), and had disabled the existing placement functionality in prep for it, when I remembered I had a shit load of block IDs to play with and could do something much more interesting :)

So, decided to leave it disabled to address the immediate problem (sploity mid ocean building), and table that for the time being while I flesh out a more robust system for them.

Anyways, I might still put a temporary placement option in there for next release or something, as that would likely not take me long to implement, but like I said, once I got the new trading system in and had played with it for awhile, I had one of those "ok, I got to release this" moments :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Yasssssss! I like that we get explosions sooner, going to make these long underground tunnels easier. Glad to see the locks coming down on Lilly pads, they really were lifejackets.
Thanks for the update man! ^¬^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, I might still put a temporary placement option in there for next release or something, as that would likely not take me long to implement, but like I said, once I got the new trading system in and had played with it for awhile, I had one of those "ok, I got to release this" moments :)
Haha, I love when you get so excited you release these extra polish updates, I really like them, they're always a little puzzle. "Now why would he... oh. OOOOOOH."

You certainly made the IRC/Discord do a spit-take with these two releases :D
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Hot damn! This is a great nightcap to what was already a pretty great day.

My brother and I started a new server a few months back, which we've deemed "The Forever Server." This should get us playing again after the holiday slump!

Thanks FC!
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Can't the cave spider spawning thing be a feature instead of a bug??? j/k
Thanks for the great release. Glad to see you back at it. I know you had some issues that put it on hold for a while and happy that things seem to be better.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Love the new ideas and implementations! can't wait to see what happens to my villagers... oh wait they are completely safe as you said there is nothing to worry about ;). Really loving the comeback with all the new changes! BTW is alive and kicking for sure ;). Was just about to update to the 4.A3 and will now have to update to 4.A4 instead because it sounds too good! yay for 256 more blocks :D

Thanks for all the hard work FC!
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

A new release ! Is this for real !!??!!

I have try many many times To keep away from geek BTW life player !
Since maybe 3 month i dont have played BTW !
Do you really want me to go back in this crazy life?

I don't know but THX for your work ... I believe... i love you....
I don't know i think i'm lost !!!!
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Awwwww, shucks guys. Thanks for all the good wishes :)
Xaedblade wrote:yay for 256 more blocks :D
More like 4,000 actually, hence the version name ;)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I'm looking forward to seeing the villager interface once I get home today. Good job on the new release as always!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

FlowerChild wrote:Awwwww, shucks guys. Thanks for all the good wishes :)
Xaedblade wrote:yay for 256 more blocks :D
More like 4,000 actually, hence the version name ;)
Holy Sh*t 4,000 Blocks!!!?? Can't wait to see how you implement them :D
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added a couple of additional factors to not worry about. In particular, you should be entirely unconcerned when performing activities that might result in loose tormented and likely deranged souls meandering about, especially if you have high level villagers nearby whose well-being you are totally chill about. You will totally not at all painfully face palm at the realization of how obvious a danger this doesn't represent if you just breath deeply, relax about the whole thing, and go about your business as if I hadn't said anything. This should not be misinterpreted as some kind of warning, as really, there's always been nothing to worry about. I have no idea why you're making such a big deal about this and I refuse to humor your dysfunction any longer.
I recognize that this is a no-spoiler thread, and I am specifically NOT asking about spoilers. I am however asking for clarification as to nomenclature / vocabulary. Is this an expansion of Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, or is this an evolution in an unrelated direction?

Also -- AWESOME UPDATE, AS ALWAYS!!!
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MisterFister wrote: Is this an expansion of Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, or is this an evolution in an unrelated direction?
Sheesh. How many times do I have to say it's not something you should be concerned with?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Sheesh. How many times do I have to say it's not something you should be concerned with?
I personally craft some bootsies, I find they are very good at reducing anxiety over things I should just not worry about.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Sheesh. How many times do I have to say it's not something you should be concerned with?
I personally craft some bootsies, I find they are very good at reducing anxiety over things I should just not worry about.
I prefer to hang out underwater wearing my Very Safe Hat and create steam engines by the light of my diamond saw.

That said, it should be general practice anyway not to leave anything close to things you don't want to worry about near things you shouldn't worry about.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Multiple BTW releases in less than the span of a month?
My euphoria glands are overloaded! They are secreting at an impossible rate! I haven't felt this sort of pleasure in years.

Thanks Flowerchild!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Very excited to discover whatever it is that I should not worry about!

Thank you for the jungle spider fix. After lighting everything, burning the jungle down, and doubling my jungle spider farm spawn area I was out of ideas. This should take care of it!
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Wow, not just one, but two new releases!

Haven't been around for a while, but stopped by on a whim; what a pleasant surprise! Thanks FC!

Glad to see you're back in the saddle again, I hope this means the health issues that were bothering you have been resolved.

Now to see if I can scrounge up some play time...
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Gunpowder eh? Looks like I'll be able to do some redneck fishing earlier than expected! Screw farming for animals now.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.