New Release! (BTW V4.A3 Headed Beastie) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.A3 Headed Beastie) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.A3 Headed Beastie of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the ability to speed up boat travel if you are holding a sail (the item used to craft wind mills). Without a sail, boats now have their speed greatly reduced. This makes early game water travel a tad more problematic, and adds a bit of progression to boat use.

-Added additional hunger consumption when you swim vertically upwards. This increases the inefficiency of swimming relative to boating, as well as making it tiring to simply tread water.

-Added the ability to see if a furnace has any contents (not fuel) without having to open it. There's now a slight texture variation on the front of the furnace when it contains something, which makes working with large banks of furnaces much more convenient.

-Added Bone Blocks as a new storage block, created with 9 bones in the crafting grid. When summoning the Wither, Bone Blocks now replace the soul sand that was previously used in a "T" shape beneath the skulls.

-Added Infused Skulls as a new item and block. In terms of functionality, these replace Wither Skulls (now called Runed Skulls) for summoning the Wither. They may either be acquired through trading, or by combining a Runed Skull, a Soul Urn, and soul flux in the crafting grid.

-Added a new method of acquiring Wither Skulls (now called Runed Skull) through trading, to provide an alternative approach to decapitating a large number of wither skeletons.

-Changed the Wither so that it can no longer be summoned in dimensions other than the overworld (no summoning in the nether or end) to make fighting it more interesting.

-Changed the name of Wither Skulls, to Runed Skulls, to better suit their new role, acquisition method, and lore.

-Changed some of the crucial trades with villagers that facilitate progress towards the end. Without spoiling too much, the priest is no longer the only villager required.

-Changed the Anvil recipe to use a nether Star and Soul Flux in combination with a Dead Weight (vanilla Anvil) in the crafting grid. It may also now be obtained through trading, but may no longer be melted down in the Crucible. This change makes the Anvil available earlier in the overall progression (through trading), opening up some of the more complex redstone blocks in the mod (like the Block Dispenser and Detector) before Soulforged Steel is acquired.

-Changed the way the sail item looks when held by the player slightly, to better suit its new role in yachting.

-Changed (tweaked) the AI of fleeing animals slightly, to make them a little harder to catch.

-Changed (reduced) the hunger value of Tasty Sandwiches slightly to make them a bit less universally awesome relative to other food sources, and to increase the value of finding potatoes and carrots.

-Changed (reduced) the hunger value of bread and Scrambled Eggs for similar reasons.

-Changed (tweaked) the level and value of a few minor villagers trades to create a smoother play experience.

-Changed boats to be burnable in the furnace.

-Fixed a problem where shears would sometimes glitch out if their last bit of durability was used to shear creepers, sheep, or mooshrooms.

-Removed a bunch of splash screen texts that were no longer relevant or which hadn't aged well.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

FerretFitz

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.A3 Headed Beastie) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FerretFitz »

Absolutly amazing
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Well this just made my Christmas. I'm excited to see what the new villager trade options are. Nice work as always, FC!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I regret that it will be a few weeks before I get home and can dig into this build. I like the way steel has been pushed back and look forward to dying a dozen times or so on the way to it
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Glad you guys are excited about it! Wasn't sure I was going to pull it off before Christmas especially after the new launcher threw up all over my attempts to install the mod in the release version of MC to test it before release :)
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

-Changed boats to be burnable in the furnace.
Always wanted to stuff nautical transport craft inside my oven, best Christmas gift ever! Seriously I'm not kidding, I can count three times I died to gloom because I ran out of sawdust/bark/logs/planks and I still had a big wooden boat.

Seriously though, this is by far the best Christmas present this year! The competition includes socks and shirts so really, no competition at all. Thank you so much FC!
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dorugami wrote: Always wanted to stuff nautical transport craft inside my oven, best Christmas gift ever! Seriously I'm not kidding, I can count three times I died to gloom because I ran out of sawdust/bark/logs/planks and I still had a big wooden boat.
Hehe... I had a very similar experience in my most recent play-through while I was sailing around testing out the new mechanics, hence why they are now burnable :)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

What...
Wait what!!
Holy fuck, merry Christmas to you too!
FlowerChild wrote:This change makes the Anvil available earlier in the overall progression (through trading), opening up some of the more complex redstone blocks in the mod (like the Block Dispenser and Detector) before Soulforged Steel is acquired.
Oh yes this!
I have had this conversation a few times that I would love to get access to the aesthetic sub-blocks that need to anvil far earlier than the end. Boom!

I was not expecting this when I flicked past the forum. Cheers!
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I didn't expect an early christmas present. Thanks for the countless hours I have been able to play this.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
ion

Post by ion »

thank you. back the make the textures again hahaha
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Changed the Wither so that it can no longer be summoned in dimensions other than the overworld (no summoning in the nether or end) to make fighting it more interesting.
Awesome ! Love you merry christmas all !!!
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

-Changed the Anvil recipe to use a nether Star and Soul Flux in combination with a Dead Weight (vanilla Anvil) in the crafting grid. It may also now be obtained through trading, but may no longer be melted down in the Crucible. This change makes the Anvil available earlier in the overall progression (through trading), opening up some of the more complex redstone blocks in the mod (like the Block Dispenser and Detector) before Soulforged Steel is acquired.
I remember mentioning this a while ago so it's really cool to see it implemented. Thanks for the hard work as always FC!
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added the ability to speed up boat travel if you are holding a sail (the item used to craft wind mills). Without a sail, boats now have their speed greatly reduced. This makes early game water travel a tad more problematic, and adds a bit of progression to boat use.

-Added additional hunger consumption when you swim vertically upwards. This increases the inefficiency of swimming relative to boating, as well as making it tiring to simply tread water.
:D This will definitely change the way I play early game. One of the first things I always do is boat out past HCS range and plunder the lands for meat and treasures. Now that may be more difficult as it was always pretty easy to run around the packs of hatsies and just shore up with a lillypad for the night. I have a feeling a bit more planning may be required for those excursions and of course I have just about hit the point of villager trading in my main world so I'm super hyped for the anvil changes. Amazing automation here I come!
Thanks man, have a very merry Christmas and a fanfuckingtastic new year :D
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I stopped playing BTW mainly due to the terrible luck I seem to have with gaining wither skulls. So yeah, this release is like candy to me :)

And you found a way to get a smoother mid-end progression!

Yes yes yes, this'll do :D

What a nice christmas present
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Merry Christmas FC!
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Awesome to see all this good cheer this morning! Thanks guys! :)
Gilberreke wrote: I stopped playing BTW mainly due to the terrible luck I seem to have with gaining wither skulls. So yeah, this release is like candy to me :)
I remembered you saying that, and had it in mind with this change :)
Gilberreke wrote: And you found a way to get a smoother mid-end progression!
Yeah, that was my main objective there: beating the wither was previously way too "meh" IMO in terms of what practical benefit it had, with beacons being more of a end-game thing. I'm not sure I'm entirely satisfied with the reward level now, but I think this will help the mid-game slump some, that people were talking about awhile back.

I think this both gives more of an immediate goal to shoot for with beating the wither, more of a sense of reward for doing so, and a nice little interesting tech area to temporarily plateau in after.
Daisjun wrote: I remember mentioning this a while ago so it's really cool to see it implemented. Thanks for the hard work as always FC!
Yeah, I thought I remembered someone had mentioned wanting some of that tech earlier, when I was pondering breaking up the progression, so two birds beaten around a bush and all that :)
jadedragonette

Post by jadedragonette »

Your hard work, as always, is greatly appreciated FC. Thank you, FC, for this and all previous updates!

Oh yes, of course, have a Very Merry Christmas everyone!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

That anvil change there, those are the kind of decisions in designing something that I find hard to do myself without someone to constantly bounce ideas off. It's sounds so simple, but is so well done.

Kudos to FC and happy holidays to everyone! Long live BTW! ;)
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Happy holidays, thanks FC!
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

... ...what.

I think I'm a bit drunker than I thought, this looks too awesome to be true.

AND MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU GUYS.
--Who do you think you are, War?
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

Great release, couldn't have come at a better time! :D

Merry Christmas!
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Haven't checked by in months, though I'm glad I just did. Merry Christmas and thanks for the new update
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Holy shit! This is a surprise, time to dust off my laptop and remember how to play. Flowerchild thank you for another release of stuff.

Hoppy Holidays to everyone and all that other stuff.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Thanks for the Christmas gift.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you!!