New Release! (BTW V4.A Dingo) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.A Dingo) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.A Dingo of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Slime.

-Added conversion recipes between some of the vanilla slabs and their full blocks. This applies to cobblestone, brick, stone brick, and the various wood planks, basically covering any of the stock slabs that are made out of "parts" (like individual rocks in cobble) that you could see being easily recombined back into the original.

-Changed (increased) the despawn time of fired arrows stuck in blocks to be equal to the regular item despawn time (5 minutes instead of the previous 1) for consistency and due to the increased value of arrows in the early game.

-Changed animals to be a little more nervous.

-Changed brown mushrooms so that they'll only spawn deep down in the earth (or on mycelium), to make their initial acquisition more interesting, and to prevent swamps being a horn of plenty. I figured out a way to do this without messing with overall worldgen so this and the following changes shouldn't cause seams in existing worlds. Note that this also applies to the nether as I wasn't down with free food being everywhere in hell :)

-Changed brown mushrooms to also require complete darkness (or mycelium) in which to grow to make farming them a little more interesting. The growth conditions remain otherwise unchanged.

-Changed reeds to only spawn in swamps, for similar reasons.

-Changed pumpkins to only spawn in plains biomes, and reduced the size of clusters in which they appear.

-Changed swamp biomes to only spawn pigs and chickens (no cows and sheep), and reduced the overall number of animals found there, to make them a little less zoo-like and more distinct.

-Changed chickens to avoid water when possible to reduce the number that would be found floating around off shore.

-Changed chickens to be visible from further away as they tended to pop-in quite close to the player.

-Changed cows to not get jiggy with the hoofsies while wearing a breeding harness.

-Changed Bloodwood Saplings to render as items rather than blocks when in item form. This changes the look of them slightly to be more consistent with other saplings as well as fixes a problem where they'd display oddly in item frames.

-Fixed problem where the player would appear to be falling in empty sky upon a hardcore spawn, and (hopefully) where they would sometimes spawn in solid blocks. You'll likely notice increased time in the "loading terrain" screen upon respawn, as this fix revolves around waiting for more of the terrain to buffer before putting the player into the game world. Let me know if you see any more instances of spawning in terrain, as while I ran numerous tests, this is the kind of thing that's rather difficult to be certain of since it was sporadic in the first place.

-Fixed problem where creatures would still attempt to path over some of the fences the mod adds (eg. stone brick fence) as if they were regular blocks.

-Fixed particle effects not appearing at all on smashing pumpkins. Also fixed both pumpkins and melons not displaying particle effects when dropped on invalid blocks like torches or slabs.

-Removed the vanilla wood fence, fence gate, trap door, and door recipes. This means that you'll need a Saw to craft these items.

-Revised the install instructions in the readme to reflect the process with the "new" launcher. If anyone spots any errors, please let me know.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

magikeh

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.A Dingo) - NO SPOILERS

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed problem where the player would appear to be falling in empty sky upon a hardcore spawn, and (hopefully) where they would sometimes spawn in solid blocks. You'll likely notice increased time in the "loading terrain" screen upon respawn, as this fix revolves around waiting for more of the terrain to buffer before putting the player into the game world. Let me know if you see any more instances of spawning in terrain, as while I ran numerous tests, this is the kind of thing that's rather difficult to be certain of since it was sporadic in the first place.
As someone with terribad internet at times I'm sure this will help immensely when playing on servers. <3 Clink
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote:As someone with terribad internet at times I'm sure this will help immensely when playing on servers. <3 Clink
Let me know if it does! I only test multiplayer locally there days, so I'd be very interested in knowing how it behaves out in the wild.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

I'd always taken the floating blue sequences to be a kind of limbo you rest in between deaths and an integral part of my interpretation of the BTW story, but, considering the benefits of its removal I can't see any room to argue. Always a pleasure though to see the latest tweaks and changes made to improve the world.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kazerima wrote:I'd always taken the floating blue sequences to be a kind of limbo you rest in between deaths and an integral part of my interpretation of the BTW story, but, considering the benefits of its removal I can't see any room to argue.
Well, believe it or not, that was entirely vanilla behavior, it just wasn't seen very often in vanilla given the tendency not to spawn in random locations in the world that may not have generated yet :)

You can reproduce it in stock by say exiting the nether into a part of the overworld that has never generated before. When I first saw it with HC spawn, I thought much like you above that it would read as some kind of post-death limbo, so I kinda shrugged it off, but it never really was my intent. As you said, there were all kinds of nasty side-effects, including one I really disliked in often being able to see already loaded terrain floating in the void if you happened to respawn close to your previous location, thus losing much of the initial confusion after a respawn.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ooooh, new release.
Spoiler
Show
yay!
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:
Spoiler
Show
yay!
Spoilers in the release thread! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! ;)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Thanks Flowerchild!

I had a recent wipe of my computer so I was waiting for a new release to kick off a brand new world. Just finished my first night :).
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Let's check this rigth now !!! Thx
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

And I can't play with it until next week or so! AAAAAAAH!!!

PS: AAAAAAAAH!!!!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hardcore Slime with no description and 'nervous' animals should probably make me worry?

Nah, I bet it's nothing to worry about! ;-)

Thanks for the update Flowerchild. A welcome back is in order? :-D

EDIT: Also, my 500th post to commemorate the occassion. <3
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Well this update sneaked by me. But this is good now I can play a new world on my new laptop. Woot!

Thanks FC for your continued effort/support of minecraft done right. ;P
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

yesterday me: i miss BTW, tomorrow i'll start playing again (then i uninstalled 4 adictive games on steam)

today: i'm going to play btw now, but first must download texture pack (goes to btw forum).... "New Release! (BTW V4.A Dingo)" !!!!

coincidence ? i think not, its a sign !!!! LOL

thank you FC :)
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

So, since hardcore slimes were apparently added, can someone remind me how slimes worked before this update? As far as I can remember slimeballs aren't needed to make anything other than sticky pistons, right? And the weird spawning mechanic where they could only appear in certain chunks was a thing in BTW still I think.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're welcome guys! :)

Just a quick note: I was just watching the video of Vioki and Charley's last stream where they're using the new release, and noticed there's currently a problem with the increased nervousness of animals where it doesn't apply in all the circumstances it should.

I'm fixing that up now and will likely put out a 'b' release a little latter today to correct that and any other issues that may crop up. It should have no adverse effects on play, but just to let everyone know that if you're finding exploits to the system at present, they'll likely disappear shortly ;)
wizardglick

Post by wizardglick »

Oh cool. I missed the stream, but here's a recording. off i go...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

By the way, I love the mushroom changes. I saw someone make a dark mushroom farm a while back and was thinking "wouldn't it be insane if it actually was like that though?". Well, I guess I'll find out :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:By the way, I love the mushroom changes. I saw someone make a dark mushroom farm a while back and was thinking "wouldn't it be insane if it actually was like that though?". Well, I guess I'll find out :)
Yeah, I built a nice one myself before I realized that darkness was in no way required for mushroom growth back in the day :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Another realization from the Vioki and Charley stream which I just verified myself:

Looks like my fix to spawning in blocks is much more effective in single player than in multiplayer, I assume because single-player is effectively paused while a respawn is in process, while multiplayer servers keep on running and potentially updating player position while chunks are being generated. I'll take a look at how I might resolve that.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:-Removed the vanilla wood fence, fence gate, trap door, and door recipes. This means that you'll need a Saw to craft these items.
Wait wait wait... we need a saw to craft doors now? Well shit... that'll be interesting for my next HC spawn (And actually does increase the value of find an abandoned village early on).

Super glad to see a new release! I'm a little nervous about hardcore slimes, but it'll be fun experimenting. Great work as always, FC!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote: Wait wait wait... we need a saw to craft doors now? Well shit... that'll be interesting for my next HC spawn (And actually does increase the value of find an abandoned village early on).
Someone pointed out to me earlier on the MCF thread that the door recipe is still there (not the others though), so you may have a brief reprieve on that one ;)
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Super excited to see a release again. I suspected it was only a matter of time when I saw the bug reports section start drying up, lol.

A few questions, most of which I want to learn the answers through discovery. The exception though: should we be starting new worlds to experience the early game changes? Especially if we have build up the area around HC Spawn?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jakerman999 wrote:The exception though: should we be starting new worlds to experience the early game changes? Especially if we have build up the area around HC Spawn?
That's entirely up to you man. I wouldn't say the early game changes are huge, just small refinements I've been making as I go since I decided to start a new world after a long time away from the mod.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:...since I decided to start a new world after a long time away from the mod.
WHAT?!? O.O

Is that a new development in the BTW epic, or did I miss a verse somewhere along the way?
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

New release? Nice! :D
--Who do you think you are, War?