New Release! (BTW V4.9 Marsupial?)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.9 Marsupial?)

Post by FlowerChild »

****NOTE: No spoilers in release threads please!****

Version 4.9 Marsupial? of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

Note: This is NOT the final release of BTW. That's still on the way. However, it does represent the finalization of both Hardcore Villagers, and the overall tech progression, so if you were waiting on proceeding beyond a certain point, feel free to proceed :)

-Added a new villager trading system which is left for the player to discover.

-Added visual feedback to the hunger meter whenever hunger is consumed by a player action. This will hopefully make players more aware of some of the subtler aspects of the hunger system like how spam-clicking mobs burns excessive hunger, or how jumping or sprinting frequently does the same.

-Added a little more progression to axes: now, iron axes and better will not consume hunger when you are chopping through zero toughness vegetation like grass and flowers, making them ideal for clearing paths for yourself as you move about above ground. In addition to this, diamond level axes and better will not consume durability when destroying leaf or vine blocks, which means you can use them to carve paths through jungles or other dense vegetation without them ever wearing out. This gives a significant boost to the usefulness of axes in general as they were still rather underpowered relative to other tools, as well as further encouraging path and road building. Note that gold axes are considered "worse" than iron for the purposes of this, and thus get no bonuses.

-Added a grunting sound to when players perform a zero-damage attack on a creature due to hunger or health depletion. This should make it a little clearer what's happening under these circumstances.

-Added the ability to render Mystery Meat into Tallow. My apologies for the glaring oversight there. I guess I'm not a beautiful and unique snowflake after all.

-Added restrictions to villager breeding so that they will only produce children of the same class as one of their parents (Hardcore Caste System?). Therefore, in order to gain access to a particular villager type you *must* find one in the world first. Note that with the other changes in this release, this greatly reduces the value of partially abandoned villages, as well as increases the significance of keeping particular villagers safe once found.

-Added the color of candles to their names to simplify their identification.

-Changed a little something something about Pigmen behavior that is absolutely nothing to worry about.

-Changed the Ocular of Ender to use ender pearls in its recipe instead of eyes of ender.

-Changed the bed recipe to require Padding instead of wool.

-Removed the player's ability to craft eyes of ender, as this is now a villager trade. I mention this aspect specifically since it changes the overall progression In other words, you *must* find a villager willing to trade for them in order to progress beyond a certain point, meaning that finding and trading with villagers is now part of BTW's tech progression.

-Fixed problem with Wicker returning only 4 reeds when disassembled instead of 9.

-Fixed problem where Ropes could be attached to upwards facing Anchors.

-Fixed problem where Saws weren't cutting Hemp, sugar cane, or wheat.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

destineternel

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.9 Marsupial?)

Post by destineternel »

w00! enormous amount of <dances> omg! it's been sooo long. <3 to you FC!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Dude this is awesome! Thanks man! I need to get a diaper next time so I don't shit myself.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

WHOOOOOOOO!

Can't wait to try it out! Congratulations FC, everyone's pulling for you. Can't wait to try this out!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! :)

Hehe...that was one hell of a slog, but hope you guys have a good time with it. I started giving myself a good chuckle with some of the features in this release as of a couple of days ago, so that's always a good sign ;)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

You can't imagine the speed at which I just got wood. And the even faster one at which it went away when I realized I still have two exams in the next 5 hours and don't even have the time to read the change log.

tl;dr : OMYGAAD I'M SUPER EXCITED! (Thread, see you at noon.)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Hardcore Class Warfare. I love it.

This was a very nice thing to wake up to
Better is the enemy of Good
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Wohoo! This should be fun. Thanks! :)
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Thank you!

(too early for long thank you sentences!)
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Thanks for the release. Now I only have to finish all my university proyects to make time to play.
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

Woot! Thanks heaps FC - this looks awesome. Should we still hold off on getting villagers, or will any further changes not need newly generated areas?

<dances>
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Congrats on the release!
-Changed the bed recipe to require Padding instead of wool.
Am I the only one who thinks that there is something hidden here?

Edit: typo
Last edited by Larmantine on Mon May 12, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thyrllann wrote:Should we still hold off on getting villagers, or will any further changes not need newly generated areas?
I try to anticipate questions like this in advance, I really do...
FlowerChild wrote: Note: This is NOT the final release of BTW. That's still on the way. However, it does represent the finalization of both Hardcore Villagers, and the overall tech progression, so if you were waiting on proceeding beyond a certain point, feel free to proceed :)
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

OH YAY!
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Oh awesome! Cant wait to play with the new stuff!
hawkstrom

Post by hawkstrom »

I'm gonna need you to implement a pigman repellant before I dare enter the nether...

Awesome release, thanks!
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I love not worrying about stuff. That is why I play BTW, there is never, ever any thing to worry about. I am going to update and head straight to the nether to and punch a Pigman, because we're buds like that and can playfully joke around.
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

Yeah, my first experience with hats was on the ignis server after a long break. I had absolutely nothing to worry about and it didn't net me 5-6 deaths in trying out ways to avoid/counter them at all. I also found that blocking with a diamond sword was the most efficient way to deal with them.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I am now very glad that I restarted my world a few days ago. Same seed, just a fresh attempt. I had already found a village and been to the End before. Looking forward to the new mechanics. I love the new ideas for the axes. I "might" try carving through jungles now instead of going around them. As there is absolutely nothing to worry about in jungles, and I never spend enormous quantities of flint and steel burning them to the ground.

One question though, will Ender Pearls serve a function beyond Ender Goggles?
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

Yesterday I unistalled every single distractive game/app from my pc and phone because I have to study hard this month and now this...

Why? Whyyy such awesome release?

I'll be strong and wait till next month to play.

This is gonna be harder than expected but I am even more motivated to study now. Thank you, FC!
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

woot :) thanks for the update! Now I have a real reason to make that castle compound complete with houses for all my villagers xD
Rawr :D
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

... and the wood is back! Yay!

Thanks a lot for the release FC, this seems very interesting!
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Washerion

Post by Washerion »

Good stuff! :) Looking more and more like there's a red thread leading through progression. If we follow, where will we end up? AAAAHHHHH!!
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOQWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
had to get that outta my system. thanks for the great update and waiting waiting till i get home to test the hardcore villagers in all its glory. edit: (so excited i added an extra waiting without noticing)