New Release! (BTW V4.8999999) (NO SPOILERS)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.8999999) (NO SPOILERS)

Post by FlowerChild »

NOTE: For those of you new to these forums, please keep in mind that spoilers are not allowed in the release threads. If it isn't explicitly mentioned in the release notes, please do not discuss it here.

Version 4.8999999 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added a couple of little something somethings to non-looted jungle and desert temples to make exploration more fun in general. This was done particularly to make the search for villages more interesting as the player will now have secondary things to search for in different biomes as they travel about. What exactly is there and what it does is left to the player to discover, but suffice it to say these temples are now worth looking for and finding. Obviously, this will only affect newly generated temples.

-Added the ability to right click on a Stake that already has string attached in the direction you are facing in order to remove the string and drop it around you current location (that sounds complicated but it really isn't in practice). What this means is that you can place a succession of Stakes while trying to measure an exact distance without having to travel back to the original one to collect all the string each time you get it wrong. Along with the other changes to them in this release, this was done to make measuring distances using Stakes and string a little more convenient, as I don't get the impression they were seeing much use as is.

-Added the ability to place Stake String through blocks than can normally be replaced by others like grass and snow for convenience, and because it felt distinctly weird when such attempts were blocked in this way, more like it was a bug.

-Added some sound to the placing and removing of Stake String to provide a little more feedback on its use, and make it a little more satisfying to play around with.

-Changed enchanting tables to no longer be player craftable. Instead they must be found in the world similar to brewing stands with witch huts. Guess that gives you a pretty strong hint as to what one of the something somethings in the temples is :)

-Changed the recipe for the Infernal Enchanter to consist of a regular enchanting table surrounded by 5 Soulforged Steel ingots in a "U" pattern around its sides and bottom, with two black candles with a bone in the middle on top. In other words, it's now an "upgrade" to the regular enchanting table instead of being something the player creates from scratch.

-Changed the Hopper, Cauldron, and Crucible rendering to correct some minor visual glitches with texture alignment and lighting. This should be most noticeable with custom texture packs.

-Fixed a problem that was causing XP orbs to get visually jittery as they were passing over the top of Hoppers in a water flow.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

emptychild

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.8999999) (NO SPOILERS)

Post by emptychild »

Super late night release. Awesome!

Also obligatory "First"
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I knew I stayed awake for something!!! Thanks man!

I can definitely dig what I see in the update notes. To the... jun..gl..e.... I'm going to be seeing more of hardcore spawn in the near future!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote: I can definitely dig what I see in the update notes. To the... jun..gl..e.... I'm going to be seeing more of hardcore spawn in the near future!
Hehe...I'm always happy to provide players with more temptation to get themselves killed ;)
ion

Post by ion »

best that the visual bug for textures is fixed. is it safe to go and interact with villagers now or they are still to be finished?
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

The changes in stakes' behavior are really nice, and I'm guessing we'll have more Fun with the other something somethings than the one hinted... specially in the jungle (jungle spiders hate me).

The game is becoming harder than Dwarf Fortress. And I'm loving it.

Thanks for this release!
--Who do you think you are, War?
devak

Post by devak »

Snip -Flower

*pulls out blade and runs off*
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Yep, we're screwed. Well, even more screwed to be precise.

And just like above : I'm loving it!

Thanks again FC ;-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added the ability to right click on a Stake that already has string attached in the direction you are facing in order to remove the string and drop it around your current location
I've been using stakes and string in plotting out my village buildings, and this is a great boon. Very nice intuitive feature.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Very nice release as always :)
I really like the new temples, they sound awesome. But does anyone think i should start a new world or should i wait to BTW is done?
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

erikdk321 wrote:Very nice release as always :)
I really like the new temples, they sound awesome. But does anyone think i should start a new world or should i wait to BTW is done?
You can start a new world right now and wait until the "new villagers" are here before searching for a village. Which leaves you with plenty of things to do :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
odemarken

Post by odemarken »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Changed enchanting tables to no longer be player craftable. Instead they must be found in the world similar to brewing stands with witch huts.
That would be one of those changes that hurt (in a good way… ahem), if not for the fact that in recent releases enchanting tables required exploration anyway (for the ancient manuscript), only underground, which there already is plenty of incentive for. So that's brilliant design again.
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

odemarken wrote: That would be one of those changes that hurt (in a good way… ahem), if not for the fact that in recent releases enchanting tables required exploration anyway (for the ancient manuscript), only underground, which there already is plenty of incentive for. So that's brilliant design again.
Except this makes the ancient manuscripts useless again. But I love this change nonetheless, I am searching for temples for a few hours now...
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the Hopper, Cauldron, and Crucible rendering to correct some minor visual glitches with texture alignment and lighting. This should be most noticeable with custom texture packs.
Thanks so much for this! Has been bugging me out for quit a while, but couldnt locate the reason.
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DerAlex wrote:Except this makes the ancient manuscripts useless again.
That was never their intended use. I just threw them into the recipe as a "since they're already in the game, and this works". The manuscripts have always been intended for the endgame content I'll be getting to soon.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I just put out a small 'b' version of last night's release which corrects a small alignment issue with the contents of jungle temples if the temple is facing certain directions.

The link in the OP has been updated to point to it, so you can either grab it from there, or from the following link:

Download Link
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

another release, another thank you!

thanks FC for your continued releases of this most fantastic of mods/TC's. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And now the 'c' version with a reminder to myself why late night releases when I'm exhausted are a bad idea :)

Download Link
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bravo FC! Another update well done. Just when I think you can't make me love BTW any more. Bam! Another twist and added achievement gets. Great job!

EDIT: I don't know why. But this post needs more 9's.899999999999999999999
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

EDIT: whoops. accidental spoiler. Anyways, nice job!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

This looks great! I haven't made a new world since... oh jeez... pre-hardcore movement, pre-hardcore hunger, the iron/gold nerf, er, I mean 'enhancement' ;) ... I think it's time. Gotta find me some GD templez.
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

So.. more nin9s are b9tt9r 9h? Ill try to us9 mor9 of th9m.

'scuse me while I go spam nines through the forums, to.. ya know make them better c:

Can't get enough of these updates.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Didn't you know? More 9's makes everything better :)
caiman123

Post by caiman123 »

AAHHH9HHHH!!9!!!

I just thought this thread needed a little more AHH!...

And nin9s
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Really sweet update - just in time for me to start looking for wheat maybe ill find a temple on the way