New Release! (BTW V4.899999)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.899999)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.899999 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Stoked Fire textures back into BTW and improved the way they render to create a seamless transition between Stoked Fire and any regular fire that may be above it. Note for texture pack artists: This uses procedural textures (textures generated by code, not data) similar to how things worked in vanilla before 1.5. This means that you can not modify the animations directly. The textures will however adjust to the resolution of the texture file stubs you will find in the appropriate directory, so you can adjust their resolution to match the rest of your pack. The actual image in the stub doesn't matter, but the size will determine the resolution of the resulting texture. You'll also want to make sure the size of the various stoked fire texture stubs are the same to prevent problems.

-Changed shears to consume more durability when they're used to harvest Creeper Oysters.

-Changed the food system internally to make sure the player has valid food levels, as there was some indication they could get messed up on occasion. I also changed fat level to reset to zero if you're importing a vanilla save.

-Changed wolf howls so that they are reduced in volume as you go deeper below sea level. Note this in no way calculates sound attenuation due to traveling through stone or what have you (that would be way too computationally expensive), however it should greatly reduce the number of wolf howls you hear when you're digging deep in the earth.

-Changed webs to yield two silk when crafted instead of one, to make harvesting them with shears a little more rewarding.

-Changed Hardcore Buckets so that you can't pickup water in a bucket that you just placed. In other words, a water block must have a valid source in order to fill a bucket. This prevents exploits with being able to use the same water bucket over and over again by rapidly recollecting the water that results, in order to further promote the channeling of water for things like creating obsidian.

-Fixed the effect of beacons on compasses. It turns out this was lost in the port from 1.4 to 1.5 due to changes in the texture system, and wasn't noticed until now.

-Fixed vanilla problem that was jamming up mob spawning under certain circumstances, which was particularly noticeable after spending a long time in a specific area. This was mainly related to squid spawning, causing them to not spawn at all after awhile, but you may also notice a slight increase to mob spawning in general.

-Fixed a few vanilla item duplication bugs related to pistons, as I got curious as to what was causing them and it turns out they're super simple to correct. This should mainly affect rails.

-Removed vanilla nether brick from the creative inventory to prevent confusion with BTW's item.

-Removed the ability to place pressure plates on fences as it was leading to item detection exploits, and the same aesthetics can be achieved with BTW Tables.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Gunnerman21

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.899999)

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Gods be praised!!! the Blue Flame is back to greet us in open arms of unending blue glory! Let us purge the jungles with fire as celebration!
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! IT'S SO BLUEY AND UPDATEY! *bows to FC*
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
ion

Post by ion »

crap my dung farm is messed now, time to get to the end and make some detector blocks
Brbinstallingaimbot

Post by Brbinstallingaimbot »

And now to update the wiki.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

thx fc for another great update :)

and damn it! i was just getting used to always haveing a pair of shears on me for them yummy oysters...looks like back to the mines for me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

odranoel wrote: and damn it! i was just getting used to always haveing a pair of shears on me for them yummy oysters...looks like back to the mines for me.
Well, they're still perfectly viable, just a little more expensive in the early game when you can't recycle your iron :)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The corrected stoked flame is sexy, looks perfect.

Also had a scare and thought there was a change that spread nothing to worry about! Pretty sure it was just a lucky strike but I was baffled when all I could hear was the sound. I ran to each animal to listen closely lol.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote: Also had a scare and thought there was a change that spread nothing to worry about! Pretty sure it was just a lucky strike but I was baffled when all I could hear was the sound. I ran to each animal to listen closely lol.
Nah man, I'll be explicit about any changes to existing features from this point forward.

Perhaps not so much with villagers and the end content, but everything else I will be ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:promote the channeling of water for things like creating obsidian.
Absolutely brilliant :). I never thought about doing that, but since it was mentioned somewhere, it did sound like fun game-play. Great to see you picked up on that :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:promote the channeling of water for things like creating obsidian.
Absolutely brilliant :). I never thought about doing that, but since it was mentioned somewhere, it did sound like fun game-play. Great to see you picked up on that :)
I have always done that, not wanting to waste iron on a bucket until I had more to spare...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Oh god that sexy blue flame. I know what I'm gonna use in my "lighthouse setup" on the next chance I get.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
EmptyNight

Post by EmptyNight »

Really looking forward to that stoked flame. I really liked it back in my first advanced BTW world back before the texture turned back.
Now to get to stoked flames in my new world; I've only got a simple pumpkin/hemp farm.
Thanks FlowerChild!
IGN: Strucon