New Release! (BTW V4.89999)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.89999)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.89999 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

Note: Despite being small in size (mainly bug fixes here) this is a very special release of BTW in terms of it representing a significant development milestone. It finalizes the balance of all the current content, with one notable exception: Hardcore Villagers (which I'll be wrapping up shortly). There may be small tweaks and of course bug fixes that take place in the future, but from this point forward players can rest assured that nothing major will change under them within their worlds. As such, it probably also represents a perfect point for those of you that have been waiting on starting a new world to do so, just as long as you stay away from those pesky villagers ;)

-Added the ability to place Candles on Lightning Rods and glass blocks for increased aesthetic options. Note that the shape of the Lightning Rod will adjust slightly if there is a Candle above it to make it look more like a candle holder, and like before, Lightning Rods may be stacked to form one of the desired height.

-Changed the Lightning Rod recipe to be 3 Soulforged Steel nuggets in a vertical line with a SFS ingot at the bottom, both to reduce the cost of a largely aesthetic feature, and to provide in-game justification for why it functions to disperse lightning without a ground.

-Changed the way Axles work internally to resolve a number of outstanding issues with them. Please let me know if this causes any noticeable issues with mechanical power as this change was rather involved. Note that as one beneficial side effect of this change you can now connect 3 Axles to an Axle with a power source attached (Wind Mill or Water Wheel) without any of them breaking, which allows for slightly more flexibility when placing them, and slightly fewer Gear Boxes being used.

-Fixed problem with the Block Dispenser not placing Flour as bread dough.

-Fixed problem with clay and Unfired Pottery not playing sounds when spun on a Turntable with particles turned off.

-Fixed problem with Cement not appearing to slope in liquid form.

-Fixed problem with Cement Buckets making whimpering sound when not successfully placed.

-Fixed problem with Axles sometimes not updating their visual power state (whether they're animated as spinning).

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

icynewyear

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.89999)

Post by icynewyear »

first
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote:first
Prick :)
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

69th

Also +1 for candles
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

FlowerChild wrote:
icynewyear wrote:first
Prick :)
Yep. On a serious note, Congrats man.
I can almost taste RTH :)
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

While there wasn't a ton of new stuff I'm very excited for BTW to be so close to being "feature complete" so congrats on another release. I don't code but I can't imagine that all of the axle stuff was super easy given that you had put it on hold from a while back for some of the issues. Thanks for all the hard work.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

Oh did it felt good seeing the release number. Also placing candles on lightning rods is the first thing i thought we should be able to do when you gave us candle so I am very happy to see you thought the same:)
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

The end is nigh! Run for your puny little lives, the testificate invasion is coming!
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

gotta love the bug fixing updates :)

4.8 nein nein nein nein!

the German update!
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: Note: Despite being small in size (mainly bug fixes here) this is a very special release of BTW in terms of it representing a significant development milestone. It finalizes the balance of all the current content, with one notable exception: Hardcore Villagers (which I'll be wrapping up shortly). There may be small tweaks and of course bug fixes that take place in the future, but from this point forward players can rest assured that nothing major will change under them within their worlds. As such, it probably also represents a perfect point for those of you that have been waiting on starting a new world to do so, just as long as you stay away from those pesky villagers ;)
Hm, I thought I could wait for the legendary version 5 to come back to BTW... but I guess I was wrong.
Although I know many brutal deaths await me, I will once again challenge the world of Better than Wolves. Wish me luck.
Flowerchild, congratulations on finalizing the balance. Sent you a little something to help celebrate that milestone. :P
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

logorouge wrote:Flowerchild, congratulations on finalizing the balance. Sent you a little something to help celebrate that milestone. :P
Thank you brother. You've been with me for a very long time, so it means all the more to me.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

ohhhh yeah! Woody for 4 length axles. All the new and even more compact versions of the classics I can work on now =)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Annnnd this is the release I was waiting for !

Didn't expected it so soon though, and now I'm too busy to play ^^

As always, thanks for all the great fun you provide us FC :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Lars

Post by Lars »

It's a shame I don't have lot of time to play games anymore, what with my new job and all. The spare time I do have I mostly fill with GTA V now. The funny things is that everytime I'm slightly annoyed at certain things in the game, I catch myself thinking: FC could've thought out a great solution for this! So even though I don't get to play BTW much nowadays, I still get to apreciate your great gamedesign skills!
There have been times where I doubted some of the choices you made, but I was wrong every time. I can't wait to see what you will make of RTH, because I'm confident that if you keep rocking like you have these last few years, it's going to be great! As I have a lot of stuff to finance at the moment, most of my first paycheck will go into that, and saving for a new bicycle; but you have my promise that I will give you a small part of my first paycheck as recompense for my earlier doubts! ;)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Thanks FC. The bread thing was what I was most excited for about this coming release!

Congratulations on this milestone. You're leaving us quite the game while you start work on RTH!
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Excellent update, as always, much appreciated. I think I'll take the and start a nice new little world. It's been a while since I've really done that. It's good timing too, since this update coincides with me settling in to a new home. :) Thank you for everything you have done for us bossman.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Thanks for all of your hard work FC - we all appreciate the work especially home-bound gimps like me
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

We all appreciate the effort here, and the axle change is as exciting as any flashy features!
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

utakataJ6 wrote:We all appreciate the effort here, and the axle change is as exciting as any flashy features!
I'm just happy it didn't result in a flood of bug reports the next day :)

I rewrote a good chunk of the mechanical power system for that one (hence why I put it off so long for a relatively minor benefit). Given that affected a huge number of technical builds, I'm quite pleased that it didn't seem to result in any problems.