New Release! (BTW V4.8913)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.8913)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.8913 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added a few additional refinements to Hardcore Headwear that I didn't have time to get into the last release. Nothing to worry about here, as this should just make the existing behavior a little more evident and polished, rather than more dangerous. Well...mostly ;)

-Changed zombie pigmen to not drop gold nuggets in the overworld so that effective pigmen farms are restricted to the nether.

-Changed the crafting table to only be usable via its top surface to prevent various placement exploits. I've also added a message when other parts of the block are clicked since this functionality may not be immediately apparent.

-Changed Abandoned Villages to generate with all glass removed from the windows, as the glass was making it a little too easy to turn the buildings into early game shelters.

-Changed squid to only spawn in darkness. Also changed it so that spawning may occur at any height (vanilla code had it limited to below sea level and not to occur at extreme depth). I mention this as it may affect existing squid farm design, and it should be noted that the old BTW restrictions of only being able to spawn in large bodies of water still apply.

-Removed the Hemp Seed drop entirely from tall grass to make the method of obtaining it more clear cut, and because the existing rate had become so low that it was just encouraging people to do a lot of tedious grinding punching grass in the early game. If you want to find Hemp Seeds, the method to do so is through tilling regular grass blocks. If you want to lure chickens in the early game, look for pumpkins.

-Removed feather drop when chickens are sucked up by the Block Dispenser, as this was always intended as a gag feature, not as a means of automation.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Chomamonka

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.8913)

Post by Chomamonka »

Doesn't matter the size of the update, It's always like Christmas! <dances>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

There's actually quite a bit in this one despite the short list. The refinements I made to the hats are rather extensive :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

I picked the right time to stop being lazy and update my BTW version. Can't wait to see the 'error' message when using the side of the Crafting Table. I expect something like, "Your materials fall to the ground dumbass, try using the top." Lol.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

Never sure how scared I'm supposed be with these vague changes, guess I underestimated this one :)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Well shit there goes my productivity this week. Thanks dude ;)
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

Wow i can point out two of those changes that I did that were in my last two let's plays. I feel like I'm responsible for it... BWAHAHA!!! Suffer my consequences noobs!
piter_50

Post by piter_50 »

Damn, my latest game spawned me near a desert village where i made my first home. I died, respawned near another abandoned village surrounded by taigas where i have my second village home with underground tunnels connecting buildings. With this update, i feel a bit of a cheater for making my home there. Ah well, with all that sand i could theoretically have smelted all my own glass in pretty short order.

Thanks for the latest and greatest!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

piter_50 wrote:Damn, my latest game spawned me near a desert village where i made my first home. I died, respawned near another abandoned village surrounded by taigas where i have my second village home with underground tunnels connecting buildings. With this update, i feel a bit of a cheater for making my home there. Ah well, with all that sand i could theoretically have smelted all my own glass in pretty short order.
Bah, don't man. As you pointed out, you can arrange this yourself in pretty short order, the point is more that the player has to do something about it rather than just being able to move into a house so easily.
Jeet wrote:Wow i can point out two of those changes that I did that were in my last two let's plays. I feel like I'm responsible for it... BWAHAHA!!! Suffer my consequences noobs!
Hehe...well, not sure about the other one, but yeah, the crafting table in the ceiling left me scratching my head as to how to correct that :)

I'm not entirely happy with the solution I put in place though. I spent last night playing in my own world, and the top-only thing feels rather awkward to me. I suspect I will make further refinements to it at the very least.
Remuthra

Post by Remuthra »

And I just finished installing the last version, too :P.
FlowerChild:I'm not going to hold back on having rampaging hordes lobbing greek fire into your base if I so desire, because you want to build a tree house.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote: I'm not entirely happy with the solution I put in place though. I spent last night playing in my own world, and the top-only thing feels rather awkward to me. I suspect I will make further refinements to it at the very least.
It could be a result of old habits dying hard, (clicking on any side) but after using this version and fail clicking on the crafting table sides out of habit 4-5 times, I promptly destroyed the thing and stuck it in the floor and moved on. Idk if that's useful feedback or not but that's likely how I'll use crafting tables now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: It could be a result of old habits dying hard, (clicking on any side) but after using this version and fail clicking on the crafting table sides out of habit 4-5 times, I promptly destroyed the thing and stuck it in the floor and moved on. Idk if that's useful feedback or not but that's likely how I'll use crafting tables now.
Yeah, I hear that. I think I have a potential solution in mind, but if it gets too crazy I'll just revert the change. I'm going to try playing with it this way awhile longer though to try and determine if it's a matter of habit or not.

This will likely be useful info for me in designing RTH anyways, so I don't mind spending a little time fiddling with it to try different approaches.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've updated to 4.8913, but the server I play on is still 4.8912. I tried to force myself to use the top of the crafting table. But still managed to click the side every time I wanted to use it. It's a very hard habit to break. But one I will break in time. It does feel a little awkward, though, when I have clear line of sight on the top but get scolded for clicking the side.
caveatEmptor

Post by caveatEmptor »

What exploit is being fixed with the crafting table change? Maybe I'm not thinking hard enough but I can't see what advantage could be gained by placing the crafting table in weird ways or clicking on it in different places. Not criticizing, just curious.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You can see it in action in Jeet's latest LP:

This has become more important in the early game given wood is a rather valuable resource and given the restrictions on moving crafting tables. It's leading to rather funky base design in order to have to avoid building multiple crafting tables and/or plan ahead to set one up where your base will be established.

Given this kind of resource/time management is really what the very early game is all about, I'd like to correct this if possible to justify more reasonable table placement, rather than rewarding such sploity usage.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed zombie pigmen to not drop gold nuggets in the overworld so that effective pigmen farms are restricted to the nether.
But but...I was about to try farming gold by inviting demonic souls into the helpless flesh of my innocent pigs...I thought you would admire the evilness of it all. Lol fine, I'll find something else fun to do :)
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

jkievlan wrote:But but...I was about to try farming gold by inviting demonic souls into the helpless flesh of my innocent pigs...I thought you would admire the evilness of it all. Lol fine, I'll find something else fun to do :)
Go to hell.

Seriously, go there and make a zombie pigman farm.

Thanks for the release FC! I like the changes to workbenches as it always kinda annoyed me when I saw people making ceilings or walls out of them.