New Release! (BTW V4.8912)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.8912)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.8912 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Headwear. This isn't at all related to Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, but you still shouldn't worry about it regardless. Just think of it as a new clothing option with which to further accessorize your Steve! Huzzah!

-Added the ability to use Soul Sand Piles in the nether to help find nether fortresses. It is rather short range, still requiring a fair amount of exploration, but throwing a pile will give you an indication as to whether there is a fortress in the vicinity, and in what general direction.

-Added the ability for witches to spawn in swamps. They will spawn in darkness around and above sea level in swamp biomes and this replaces their witch hut spawns, making swamps slightly more dangerous overall. On generation of witch huts, witches will spawn in their general vicinity once and once only, and these hut witches will not despawn, which means that when you first find a hut, it will almost always have witches nearby, and thus be dangerous. This was done as the spawn conditions on witches were extremely gamey and resulted in rather cheezy traps. Also, many players were never even seeing witches, so this is intended to make them a more integrated and interesting part of the game overall.

-Changed animals to be more responsive to tempting items the player is holding, so that if you switch items or move out of range, there will be less of a delay before they will become interested in them again.

-Fixed vanilla problem with lava not decaying properly. This is largely an import of Mojang's fix for 1.6, but I also changed it around slightly to make the decay a little less uniform as the vanilla version looked a tad weird.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Stormweaver

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.8912)

Post by Stormweaver »

First! I like the animal change; it's always been a right pain in the ass.

Anyways...who's up for a witch-hunt?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

Finaly a balance to these otherwise oerpowered swamps, no more cheaty free mushrooms.
I wonder what this headwear thing is about.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Sweet! Better shutoff my witch grinder before update lol.

Let the egg hunt begin, I bet it is a wool head band to go with my booties! Thank you FC!
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

FlowerChild wrote:

-Added the ability to use Soul Sand Piles in the nether to help find nether fortresses. It is rather short range, still requiring a fair amount of exploration, but throwing a pile will give you an indication as to whether there is a fortress in the vicinity, and in what general direction.

Thank you for this. I have had a hell of a time searching for a fortress sometimes even with far distance rendered.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Thank you for this. I have had a hell of a time searching for a fortress sometimes even with far distance rendered.
No worries man. With the increased ghast numbers and thus tunneling basically being required in the nether, I figured a little help was in order :)
craniak716

Post by craniak716 »

Love the whole animals interest addition. Getting them chickens to follow my ass is definitely a pain when my belly starts grumbling and night starts descending. I don't know how many times I've died luring chickens to my base. Thanks FC!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Until you guys figure out the new hats, I don't think you will have a good idea of the extent of this release. I spent the last 4 days pretty much non-stop coding that one, and I very much look forward to seeing people's discoveries (in a spoiler thread of course) ;)
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I'm torn. On the one hand, The nether fortress finding is going to finally enable me to get a blaze rod trap up.

On the other, I just spent three days installing BTW on a friends computer (purely through text instructions) and they'll never agree to multiplayer if I tell them we have to do it all over again for the new release...
EmptyNight

Post by EmptyNight »

Thanks. I'll finally see a witch outside of youtube.

My thoughts on seeing that part of the changelog: "Burn the witch!"
IGN: Strucon
Gawonni

Post by Gawonni »

FC! Your release numbers are getting predictable again! Quick, throw in a hexadecimal number!
-Added Hardcore Headwear. This isn't at all related to Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, but you still shouldn't worry about it regardless. Just think of it as a new clothing option with which to further accessorize your Steve! Huzzah!
I want my hatsie in eternal damnation pink! Finally, I can go to the nether in style with my wolf and his bootsies to protect his feet from the burning coals and trapped souls.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gawonni wrote:I want my hatsie in eternal damnation pink! Finally, I can go to the nether in style with my wolf and his bootsies to protect his feet from the burning coals and trapped souls.
Sorry, but hatsies can not be dyed. However, I can assure you the they are more than appropriate to wear in the nether ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gawonni wrote:I want my hatsie in eternal damnation pink! Finally, I can go to the nether in style with my wolf and his bootsies to protect his feet from the burning coals and trapped souls.
Sorry, but hatsies can not be dyed. However, I can assure you the they are more than appropriate to wear in the nether ;)
You can't dye tin foil, it needs to be enamel'd. :-P
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Thanks for making animal attention better :D I hated losing animals to nightfall simply because the stupid thing wouldn't want my wheat anymore.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Six

Post by Six »

Hats hats hats hats hats.
jakerman999 wrote:I'm torn. On the one hand, The nether fortress finding is going to finally enable me to get a blaze rod trap up.

On the other, I just spent three days installing BTW on a friends computer (purely through text instructions) and they'll never agree to multiplayer if I tell them we have to do it all over again for the new release...
Most BTW releases can be installed over the top of previous ones, so all that needs to be done is to have the new files dropped into the jar.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Headwear. This isn't at all related to Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, but you still shouldn't worry about it regardless. Just think of it as a new clothing option with which to further accessorize your Steve! Huzzah!
This is starting to become a trend :)
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Sinornithosaurus wrote:This is starting to become a trend :)
Don't worry about it, man.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I haven't found the hatsies yet, so I don't know how much that will blow my mind, but the most exciting thing? Animal attention.

Seriously, I've ragequitted my new BTW world the last few times I tried to play it, due to my inability to get chickens to my base. This means I get to play again :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Nikkentobi

Post by Nikkentobi »

you, sir... is the boss
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Haven't encountered the new hats yet, but i'm loving all the new updates. One cool thing that comes to mind is the series of bunkers and forts we've had to build in the nether just to get around. Pretty much all of our cobble gets shipped to the nether straight away for new fortifications.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I'm really glad that animal leading has been fixed. It really was a joke before, it amazes me that the issue still exists in vanilla.