New Release! (BTW V4.891124)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.891124)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.891124 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Hell. This involves several tweaks to the nether (mostly to ghasts) to substantially increase its difficulty as it was feeling very weak compared to what it used to be. There was a time when just waltzing around in the open in the nether was really not a feasible option, and that brought along with it a sense of tension and specific building requirements that were unfortunately lost somewhere in MC's ongoing development. I've basically tried to restore the nether to being the terrifying experience I remember it as when I first started playing Minecraft (shortly after the nether was first introduced), and in the process extended the mid-game portion of BTW giving players good reason to spend time upgrading their equipment at the iron and diamond levels before progressing further.

-Added wool as a new item, which is dropped from sheep instead of wool blocks. Wool blocks may still be created by surrounding a Wicker block by 4 wool items in the crafting grid (plus sign pattern), with the resulting color of block being a mix of the colors of wool used in its creation. This was done to reduce the effectiveness of wool in the early game in creating cheap barricades, to make wool blocks feel more "solid", and along with other changes in this release, to increase the value of keeping sheep as livestock (particularly in the early game where shearing them can provide a renewable source of cloth and padded armor). Thanks to DaveYanakov for this idea!

-Added a visual indication of fat level to the player model so that others will have a better idea of when someone is a particularly nutritious food source.

-Added recipe to convert snow blocks back into snow balls.

-Added some variance to where you will respawn after dying in the same area multiple times with Hardcore Spawn. This was done both to decrease the number of incidents where the player would continually respawn in the same location only to be killed again by the same monsters, and to decrease the viability of intentionally killing yourself to exploit the hunger/health system. You'll still respawn in the same general area, but your precise location will usually be different.

-Changed the Wool Slab recipe to require three Wool Blocks side by side in the crafting grid, similar to the recipes for vanilla slabs.

-Changed the Padding recipe to consist of 2 fabric with 1 wool in the middle, in a vertical line.

-Changed the wool armor recipes to use the new wool items instead of wool blocks.

-Changed the wool armor recipes to produce armor of a color that's a blend of the various colors of wool that are used in its crafting.

-Changed (decreased) the regrowth rate of wool on sheep. Similar to cows producing milk, they will now need to consume grass several times before their wool grows back. Also added a sound effect for when the wool regrows.

-Changed the chance of fire spreading to be identical across difficulty levels. It now always works as it did on hard difficulty previously.

-Changed (increased) the spawn rate of ghasts in the nether to increase the difficulty of the nether overall.

-Changed (increased) the hit point value on ghasts as despite their large size, they were actually one of the weakest mobs in the game, and their hit points were never adjusted when bows became more powerful with the "adventure update". This also helps to further promote the use of Broadheads in the late game, or at least the use of normal arrows as opposed to rotted ones when first visiting the nether, since archery is the primary method of dealing with ghasts.

-Changed (increased) the minimum distance at which ghasts can spawn from the player, to reduce instances of players getting blasted soon as they first emerge from a nether portal, or having a ghast pop up out of nowhere to immediately start shooting at you. This should also mean that once you clear an area of ghasts, it should at least temporarily remain that way until they wander back into range.

-Changed a small thing about Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, which you also shouldn't worry about.

-Fixed vanilla problem with ghasts not actually aiming at the player (often it would be over your head if the ghast was above you).

-Fixed vanilla problem with "living" sounds on entities (chickens clucking, cows mooing, ghasts moaning, etc.) tending to play all at once for all entities when you first loaded the game or changed dimensions. This was particularly noticeable with ghasts and caused a fair amount of stutter when entering the nether, but may result in an overall performance boost on game/chunk load.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Gunnerman21

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.891124)

Post by Gunnerman21 »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added a visual indication of fat level to the player model so that others will have a better idea of when someone is a particularly nutritious food source.
YES! Thank you thank you thank you! My efforts to be a "steve" farmer will not go in vain! :)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

-Changed a small thing about Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, which you also shouldn't worry about.
puts on tinfoil hat lined with SFS and walks away slowly.....

Can't wait to try the nether out and die, Thanks for the update FC :)
Last edited by destineternel on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

The image of Fat Steves, cowering in a hole in the nether while Ghasts blow up the landscape comes to mind from this release :) I can't wait to get a nether portal set up in my main world :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote:Can wait to try the nether out and die, Thanks for the update FC :)
No doubts about it: the nether is hard. There is bound to be a lot of complaining coming, particularly on MCF, until people adjust. Heck, I'm still adjusting myself and recovering from the PTSD I got from my play testing :)

I have however tried to make it a little more fair, especially when first popping in, with my changes to how ghasts spawn. You should at least have a grace period of a few seconds when first entering the nether before getting blasted to oblivion ;)
micrometalus

Post by micrometalus »

On a lighter note, i had the wonderful thought when i read this that the sound of their wooly coats regrowing is the same as Homer's beard returning moments after he shaves.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed a small thing about Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, which you also shouldn't worry about.
Oh. Well, that's a relief. I was almost starting to be worried there.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jkievlan wrote: Oh. Well, that's a relief. I was almost starting to be worried there.
Good good. Worrying is not a reasonable course of action.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Now you are just fucking with our heads with those release numbers =P

Great update! Cant wait to play it.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wafflewaffle wrote:Now you are just fucking with our heads with those release numbers =P
Who me? Why do people always assume I'm messing with them :(
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed a small thing about Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, which you also shouldn't worry about.
Seems legit
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Hell.
Words escape me...

When I read this a single tear shed down my face.

Thank you FlowerChild for making my life Hardcore Hell (honest! I'm not being sarcastic at all).
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Awesomesauce boss man.
Thank you for the update!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I am going to be hatemurdered...

Gonna see about getting a small server set up with this one for Grau and me to build a narrative on. Looking forward to building hamster habitats again. It's almost like living in a space station when you go into a proper Nether and now everyone is going to get to experience that. No longer will it just be those of us who learned to tunnel everywhere before the nerf.
Better is the enemy of Good
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

What amazes me most, Flower, is the fact that you still find stuff to tweak and change to sharpen game play so well. Having looked through the change log, it's impressive to me how you can take the default Minecraft settings and change just those to get a completely different game play experience. Not including new blocks to fill gaps in the tech tree and expanding existing features, too. It's just damn impressive to me. It's actually gotten me attempting to learn programming for the sake of learning programming.

I particularly like the idea of the wool change as I found that I ended up using wool blocks around my base to block off mining areas until I could light them properly. They're a good visual cue, but it seemed wrong that they could block of hordes of creatures.

Can't wait to get further in and really explore all the options!
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

DaveYanakov wrote:No longer will it just be those of us who learned to tunnel everywhere before the nerf.
I tunnel everywhere in the Nether anyway. Now all my work making a network of safe Nether rooms is gonna pay off :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Good stuff guys! Glad you're so stoked on the changes :)

You'll notice this release is curiously devoid of spoilers (well, other than the one thing you shouldn't worry about...), so please feel free to head over to the Hardcore Hell balance discussion thread if you have some observations on it.

I'm really looking for feedback on this one, as I think the process of rebalancing the dimension is a rather large one in terms of the amount of playtesting required :)
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Spoiler
Show
Either I'm going crazy, or my cat is meowing very strangely. I'm probably just crazy.
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

The server I play on doesn't have the update yet. Can the new wool item still be farmed with a BD?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ehsanmp wrote:The server I play on doesn't have the update yet. Can the new wool item still be farmed with a BD?
Doh! Totally forgot to change the code there. Will currently still harvest the old cloth blocks. Just took note to fix that for next release.
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

Thanks for all this man. It's been a while since I last played, so I'm looking forward to what is essentially a whole new game.
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added Hardcore Hell.
Well guys, it was nice knowing you. But I think I'm about to die repeatedly. And I love it.
(Edited because it sounded... unnecessarily dirty how it was worded before.)
Lars

Post by Lars »

Sweet update! I'm going to love those wool changes, I'm sure. Also, I had been hoping that fat steve models would be added since they were first mentioned =D
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Quick Q, and I'm going to feel silly if the answer is obvious but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Is there any way to break down wool blocks?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Unlikely as the wool would be woven in pretty tightly but have you tried boiling the block?
Better is the enemy of Good