New Release! (BTW V4.891123)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.891123)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.891123 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added a few tiny little insignificant things related to how various creatures react to nether exposure. Absolutely nothing to worry about here, as they like the nether lots and lots. Mmmmm, mmmm...can't get enough of that nether exposure.

-Added recipes to incinerate/melt down the following items in the Crucible to retrieve the metal used in their creation: Gear Box, Saw, Pulley, Screw Pump, note block, and the various pieces of the gimp suit.

-Changed various in-game visual effects such as the Ender Spectacles, confusion, pumpkins, etc. to function even if the player has the GUI turned off in first person view.

-Changed (optimized) the code to prevent animals spawning in leaves from the last release as some performance problems were reported that I believe may have been related to it. Note that due to these changes, animals *may* still very rarely spawn stuck in leaves (I haven't seen it happen but it's theoretically possible), but it should be greatly reduced from vanilla and I doubt it will ever happen in jungles (which is what that change was primarily meant to address). Players may actually notice a slight boost in performance during chunk generation from what it is in vanilla or before the last release, as I also cleaned up the related vanilla code as part of this process.

-Changed the recipe for melting down iron doors in the Crucible so they return the gold used in making them as well as the iron.

-Changed (decreased) the drop rate of the Arcane Scroll associated with bats, as automated bat farming is now possible.

-Fixed problem with a crash in creative mode when breaking lily pads.

-Fixed vanilla problem with bows leaving a ghost item in your inventory when they break due to use.

-Removed pigmen spawning randomly around nether portals as it couldn't really be prevented in game, wasn't related to pigmen actually having access to your portal on the nether side, and was largely just an annoyance with no real in-game justification. The stuff you should most definitely not worry about largely replaces this kinda thing now anyways, so any concern, dread, or sense of impending spikey doom you were experiencing over this is entirely unwarranted. Sheeesh...you're just opening portals to hell, so I have no idea what you're getting so nervous about. Chill.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

DaveYanakov

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.891123)

Post by DaveYanakov »

I'm never opening another nether portal again...
Better is the enemy of Good
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

thank you FC! this has motivated me to start that nether cow and pig farm iv been meaning to get going. previously my animals didnt trust me enough to go through the portal with me, im sure things will be diffrent now. perfectly normal cows haveing perfectly normal babys, all in the most merry of places. :)
retep998

Post by retep998 »

DaveYanakov wrote:I'm never opening another nether portal again...
Meanwhile I'm going to start opening tons of portals and sending hundreds of animals through them!

The whole pigmen around nether portal thing served as nothing more than a free golden sword once in a while, so I'm glad to see that gone.

The drop rate for bat arcane scrolls did feel a bit ridiculous. I'd usually end up with a whole pile of them from just normal caving, and, because I have yet to make a mob farm, I never got any other arcane scrolls.
Spoiler
Show
If only FC knew that bunny for my avatar was from My Little Pony :P
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added a few tiny little insignificant things related to how various creatures react to nether exposure. Absolutely nothing to worry about here, as they like the nether lots and lots. Mmmmm, mmmm...can't get enough of that nether exposure.
Looks legit
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...I think you guys are going to have some fun with this one. You'll notice how long I put off implementing these bits after putting up the notice thread about it, largely because I wanted to set aside a decent chunk of time to devote to doing it right.

Anyways, hope y'all have as much fun playing it as I did making it. I've been laughing pretty continuously the past few days :)
retep998 wrote: The drop rate for bat arcane scrolls did feel a bit ridiculous. I'd usually end up with a whole pile of them from just normal caving, and, because I have yet to make a mob farm, I never got any other arcane scrolls.
That was always placeholder, as I said when I first put that drop in there. It was always waiting on an automation method.
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

What changed about bats to allow their automation?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:What changed about bats to allow their automation?
I dunno. Think I might have been intentionally vague as it's related to something else in this release? Maybe?
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I have a feeling you're trying to save 4.9 for a special (or final) release :) ... What with all these numbers you're adding, either it's that, or you don't want a 4.9 release but i have no clue why you wouldnt want to use specific number...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

I think I get the version numbering pattern now.

Thanks for another great release. Also, you still seem to be cranking 'em out like clockwork.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Oh wow, nether stuff. I should get mining then.
Gunnerman21 wrote:I have a feeling you're trying to save 4.9 for a special (or final) release :) ... What with all these numbers you're adding, either it's that, or you don't want a 4.9 release but i have no clue why you wouldnt want to use specific number...
I predict the next release to be V4.8911235. I also predict that the final release will be 5.0 and that 4.9 will be something special. I'd say Villager Update, but I'm not sure how important they are to FC at this point.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I am so loving those new nether changes. I was so dumbfounded I almost filed a bug-report on them but I think I managed to deal with it, some seriously creepy stuff.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Ok, that's it, I'm putting aside Mound & Blade, Assassin's Creed 3, and others and update BTW.

Don' get me wrong, I'm scared as shit to do so, but the time as come! Still need to find one last diamond to access the nether and progress in the tech tree, though...

Thanks for the awesome release FC, as well as for the other I haven't thanked you for :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

I was excited to get home and check out the nether stuff, then remembered I have lost nether access for the time being. Now I have more reason than ever to get off my ass and get back to civilization!
Spoiler
Show
Gilberreke wrote: I predict the next release to be V4.8911235. I also predict that the final release will be 5.0 and that 4.9 will be something special. I'd say Villager Update, but I'm not sure how important they are to FC at this point.
I predict next release to be 4.8911234.
-J-

Post by -J- »

I've been jerking around with the changes with animal behavior for a while now. Made me think of Pink Floyd's album "Animals" for some reason. Great update!
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Well, sounds like it's time to setup those dedicated animal pens and move away from the big pit that's right below the portal. And the chicken farm. And the wolf crappery. Oh, and definitely squirrel away breeding pairs of everything in obsidian vaults in case of zombie infestation.

I'm surprised no one has jumped to the conclusion about the version numbers yet. Rarely is the . a decimal point, it's usually marking the division between major version number and minor version number with possible a third for patch number. So, FC is going up by almost a power of 10 each release. With this exponential curve, he's eventually going to hit ludicrous speed and be done with BTW before he even started it.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Time to send animals to the nether for !!!SCIENCE!!!

:D
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

This release is just as amusing as the "shear yourself a new pet creeper" release, with plenty of different animals. The fun to be had is going to last me for a while.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Two things :

- My base is set in a mountain biome a few hundreds blocks away from my spawn, which is in a jungle. I'm not going back there.
- Hardcore Smelt is BRUTAL! (Yeah, I was a 'couple' releases behind...) Now coal is, IMO, much more valuable than anything else (except those 3 first diamonds maybe) before the nether coal / Kiln era.

So yeah, thanks again FC :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Oh man, how bad is it going to suck for you when you finally kill the dragon and drag your crippled, famished body through the exit portal only to land on top of a jungle tree, Gorm? I would buck up and mount an expedition to build a road and outpost fort at your spawn point.

You may want to try different grade of logs in your smelting. Charcoal still exists, just in raw form.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

DaveYanakov wrote:Oh man, how bad is it going to suck for you when you finally kill the dragon and drag your crippled, famished body through the exit portal only to land on top of a jungle tree, Gorm? I would buck up and mount an expedition to build a road and outpost fort at your spawn point.

You may want to try different grade of logs in your smelting. Charcoal still exists, just in raw form.
*cries* Didn't think of that. And yeah, wood is my new best friend! Thanks for the reminder anyway ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

In a few updates, I'm hoping for V4.891123581321... :)
FlowerChild wrote: -Added a few tiny little insignificant things related to how various creatures react to nether exposure. Absolutely nothing to worry about here, as they like the nether lots and lots. Mmmmm, mmmm...can't get enough of that nether exposure.
*Gulp*
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

BinoAl wrote:In a few updates, I'm hoping for V4.891123581321... :)
If I phone this number will you answer?
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

To all those guessing the number sequence, just google the Fibonacci sequence.

To Flower, thank you so much. I am going to have to move my animal pens away from my nether portal before updating unfortunately though. I am sure I would get quite a laugh seeing the effects of HCNTWA on my livestock but I would much rather not starve!
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

You're really tempting me to take a break from Kerbal Space Program to play this again...come on man, make up your damn mind.