New Release! (BTW V4.8911)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.8911)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.8911 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added increased resolution to the hunger meter to accommodate foods with smaller hunger values (such as mushrooms). Previously, it only worked in half-pip increments, which meant that was the minimum amount of hunger any food could restore. This made balancing the foods any further extremely difficult. Now, any food item can restore a minimum of 1/6th of a pip making staying full on low value food sources much more difficult. Hopefully, this should also make activities that burn hunger quickly (such as jumping and sprinting) much more evident, as they'll have a more immediate visual impact.

-Changed mushrooms to only restore 1/6th of a pip of hunger instead of 1/2. This adjustment was made primarily to decrease the value of swamps in the early game, as previously they were veritable horns of plenty.

-Changed Mushroom Omelets, Cream of Mushroom & Hearty Stew to require three mushrooms instead of 1 to create. The only mushroom based recipe that doesn't require 3 now is the Kebab.

-Changed pumpkin seeds to also restore 1/6th of a hunger pip.

-Changed milk to have a fat value when consumed.

-Changed the piston recipe to require a Redstone Latch instead of redstone dust to be more consistent with the other recipes that involve the latch, and from a balance perspective because piston traps are one of the primary forms of nether mob traps with gold being one of the primary outputs of those traps, creating a nice feedback loop (collect gold, expand trap, etc.). I hesitated on this at first because of the in-game logic behind why pistons would work the way they do ("shocking" the souls to move them versus giving them a little push), but in the end, decided this was the right way to go. With the additional changes in the last release, the resulting recipe relative to the vanilla one then is Siding in place of the wood blocks, a Soulforged Steel ingot in place of the iron, and a Redstone Latch in place of the redstone dust.

-Changed crafting sounds (creeper oysters, shears, chopping logs with an axe, etc.) so that they will be heard by other players in SMP.

-Changed monsters so that they don't stop targeting something if they take damage from an environmental source (such as falling). This should be particularly noticeable with spiders not stopping targeting the player if they take fall damage.

-Removed vanilla's decreased charge time on creepers when they fall on you from heights as it was just a silly artificial increase in difficulty that resulted in random deaths the player could do nothing about.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

destineternel

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.8911)

Post by destineternel »

ooh! food/hunger tweaks. I like it. Thanks for the update FC. :)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
jak Stone

Post by jak Stone »

ty for the great update FC
aka Nitepistol on the irc
http://www.youtube.com/user/nitepistol
JiiKoo

Post by JiiKoo »

FlowerChild wrote: hunger resolution and other hunger changes
Oh man, I know I'm going to hate you so much when I open up my world with these changes. I just started a new one yesterday after a while of not playing, had my first brush with the Darkness (I've never been so happy to plonk a furnace down!) and found some pumpkins and penned in some chickens. I was trying to decide between finding iron for a hoe or a swamp for mushrooms first. I think iron is now definitely the better choice here, probably as it should be. Can't wait to play with these changes, it's going to hurt so good...

Thanks for another awesome update!
Shinxy

Post by Shinxy »

Neat looking update FC, especially the mushroom bits. Guess it's finally time to make a sizable shroom farm (previously was just an out-of-the-way dark room with one spore for growing). Time to get a buildin'.

Oh, and does anyone else think the version number is getting a bit... silly? ;)
:V
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

Oh noes! The universe crumbles further as made evident by the rediculiousness of the patch version numbers!
Glad to see another delicious update with hunger tweaks. It's finally good to see those resolution changes made it into the game and thus the further devalument of easy-too-obtain abundant food resources. Happy that I have my animal "friends" to produce "food" for me :)
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added increased resolution to the hunger meter...
Fuck.
...YES!!!!
...Fuck.
It hurts so good...
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Oh yay for the spider change :)

The hunger thing is interesting, as I admit to taking refuge in swamp biomes too. I guess it's time to man up :D
Shinxy wrote:previously was just an out-of-the-way dark room with one spore for growing
I'm getting tired of saying this, but mushrooms don't grow faster in a dark room, nor do they need darkness in any way. As long as they are two blocks away from a torch, they won't pop off either.

People are shooting themselves in the foot by making these ultra scary dark rooms.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Just played a bit with this update, and I'm really enjoying the hunger change. In my early game world I was feeling a bit ridiculous living exclusively off of pumpkin seeds, but now they're so inconvenient to eat that I finally upgraded to real food. Thanks, FC!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Oh yay for the spider change :)
Told you I was listening ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Told you I was listening ;)
Haha, yeah, I should learn to trust your instincts :D

Can't wait to play. I've readied my jar already, only have to pick out a nice seed. I've decided it's finally time to tackle early game. Thanks to the swamp changes I don't feel obliged to pick a swamp spawn. I'm trying to figure out what the coolest spawn biome would be, as I want to make this the final world I ever start in BTW.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Can't wait to play. I've readied my jar already, only have to pick out a nice seed. I've decided it's finally time to tackle early game. Thanks to the swamp changes I don't feel obliged to pick a swamp spawn. I'm trying to figure out what the coolest spawn biome would be, as I want to make this the final world I ever start in BTW.
Go totally hardcore and random seed then man for maximum sense of discovery :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Go totally hardcore and random seed then man for maximum sense of discovery :)
Well, I'm not going to explore the seed before playing, but I always like to build some cool stuff around spawn, so I'd like a somewhat interesting spawn.

Maybe I'll offset the fact that I'm cherry picking the starting biome by making it extreme hills. It's extra hardcore to start in and offers very nice terrain to build in later on.

Yeah, that sounds like something I'd like, I'll try that :)
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Go totally hardcore and random seed then man for maximum sense of discovery :)
Well, I'm not going to explore the seed before playing, but I always like to build some cool stuff around spawn, so I'd like a somewhat interesting spawn.

Maybe I'll offset the fact that I'm cherry picking the starting biome by making it extreme hills. It's extra hardcore to start in and offers very nice terrain to build in later on.

Yeah, that sounds like something I'd like, I'll try that :)
Might I suggest going random, then finding an extreme hills biome to build your megabase in, then connect it to your spawn? I don't want to sound like I'm trying to dictate how you play, but there's a lot of fun potential in dealing with what the game gives you and making it fit your tastes with in game solutions.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Last two updates feel great, really refining. The gold nuggets, tech costs and archery really incentivize progression without allowing the player to skip anything.

Just got to wither kill on a HC darkness start, WOW. Fighting in the depths for containment is a bad idea now... All the lights were out quick leaving me hacking and slashing in the gloom jumping crazily to gain footing as the terrain continued to change. Was a great fight :)
Eramus_the_5th

Post by Eramus_the_5th »

Thank you for "fixing" the creepers. I have died to falling creepers quite a few times; possibly because I love extreme hills :)

Really looking forward to playing; i've been a bit burnt out on Minecraft/Better Than Wolves recently, but I really want to play with the hunger changes, along with the new recipes.