New Release! (BTW V4.89)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.89)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.89 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Smelt. At its core this adds different cook/smelt/bake times for ores and bricks in the furnace. Smelting and creating smoothstone out of cobble will now take much more time and fuel to accomplish, while baking bricks and cooking glass will take more time than cooking food, and less than smelting ore. This was done to increase the value of tree farming in the early to mid game, create a more distinct transition when moving up to iron tools/weapons, and to increase the value of the Kiln in the mid to late game. It was also done to provide some slight advantages to a sedentary lifestyle as opposed to going nomadic, as it will now take a significant amount of time in a single location to smelt ores. This addition involves several other changes in this release as well, which are listed individually below. Note that I've included internal hooks for add-on authors that want to specify their own cook times for custom items.

-Added the ability to harvest Creeper Oysters with shears. You're welcome.

-Added sound to crafting with Creeper Oysters.

-Added high efficiency item frame recipe involving sticks and cut leather, as it was a little odd that it required Moulding (it still works with Moulding too though).

-Added texture overlay for when various blocks (such as ores and logs) are cooking in the Kiln to make the process more evident. Note for texture pack artists: the overlay replaces the old unfired pottery texture, which is no longer used by the mod.

-Changed (increased) the cook times of the Cauldron, Crucible & Kiln to relate better to the adjusted values of the furnace, and to provide a more significant advantage to having more fire blocks beneath them. The minimum time it takes to cook something has remained unchanged (with 9 fire blocks), but the maximum time it takes to cook (with just 1) has increased significantly, making it much more rewarding to upgrade your builds with time.

-Changed the way the Kiln works internally so that the time it takes to cook something should be slightly more consistent.

-Removed furnace recipes to smelt ores other than metals (like diamonds, redstone, and lapis), as it just didn't make a whole lot of sense for them to be in there in the first place, and it muddied the functionality of the furnace in weird ways.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

DiamondArms

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.89)

Post by DiamondArms »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Added the ability to harvest Creeper Oysters with shears. You're welcome.

-Added sound to crafting with Creeper Oysters.
Error: integer "Win" cannot be calculated. Exceeding memory size.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

This is going to make fixing horses seem so much more natural, especially with the planned item drop that results =)

This is another one of those nerfs that is just going to feel right once we adjust to it. It'll result in coming back to find uncooked items in the furnace fairly often as I'm one of those people who counts out their sawdust like Scrooge counts pennies but I like it
Better is the enemy of Good
Panda

Post by Panda »

Ohh ohh ohh another good release!! Thank you soo much for your hard work! :D
Never say no to Panda.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added the ability to harvest Creeper Oysters with shears. You're welcome.
Ouch. I should feel sorry for the creepers... no, I don't, downloading it now!

The other features also look quite fun, specially Hardcore Smelting. Thank you, FlowerChild!
--Who do you think you are, War?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote: This is another one of those nerfs that is just going to feel right once we adjust to it. It'll result in coming back to find uncooked items in the furnace fairly often as I'm one of those people who counts out their sawdust like Scrooge counts pennies but I like it
Well, Saw Dust really isn't an effective option for smelting anymore as it'll take a full stack of it to smelt 1 ore :)

At that point, you're really going to want to drop logs or coal into the furnace, which is kinda the idea. Early game, you can get by cooking food with scraps, but as you move into the mid, you'll want to burn logs and eventually want to upgrade to a Kiln for smelting to get around that.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Bitchin'. I'm guessing it's uniform smelt times per category, rather than per item (from a player's view)?

If it weren't 2am I'd be testing immediately. Hmm, maybe I'll work on a creeper farm that neuters them then releases them into the wild :P

Pre-Post Edit: GAH, SO MANY NINJAS. Can't post for new posts! :P
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added high efficiency item frame recipe involving sticks and cut leather
Shafts :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote: Shafts :)
Doh :)

Old habits die hard. I was calling the Stewing Pot the Cauldron for the longest time before saying "fuck it" and changing the name of the vanilla one. Not much I can do in this case though ;)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added sound to crafting with Creeper Oysters.
Why do I get the feeling this might be the slime sound? :P
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

After a long hard 9 hour shift I finnally update my MC to 4.88, second night and I ran outa wood so to pass the 2 or 3 minutes left till day I check the forums......well dam....time to restart MC :D

Nice update as always, not sure if I'm looking forward to the new shears to creeper mechanic.....that just sounds painful.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added the ability to harvest Creeper Oysters with shears. You're welcome.
Incoming new hardcore mode: Hardcore Eunuch.

Does the shearing process 'disarm' their premature detonation? Can I have pet green phalli everywhere??
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: Incoming new hardcore mode: Hardcore Eunuch.
The title I'm going with is "Hardcore Creeperiness" (as is in the new MCF thread title). I didn't put that in the release notes however, as it kinda fucked with the dry delivery ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: Does the shearing process 'disarm' their premature detonation? Can I have pet green phalli everywhere??
BTW: No spoiler discussion in the release thread. If it isn't mentioned in the notes, please don't discuss it or ask about it. Let people have the enjoyment of discovering it on their own.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:
Rob wrote: Does the shearing process 'disarm' their premature detonation? Can I have pet green phalli everywhere??
BTW: No spoiler discussion in the release thread. If it isn't mentioned in the notes, please don't discuss it or ask about it. Let people have the enjoyment of discovering it on their own.
Understood, Im at work.. And was offering those questions more in jest than actual discussion. Though it makes me want to test this first thing when I get home now. lol.

As always, thanks for the great content, and for putting my mind in terrible places. ;-)
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Woo hoo! I know what will happen to any creepers that get stuck in the cobwebs above my entrance now or any that wander over my peep holes. Hmm need to get those spiders to make more drop-creeper traps...

Yesssss *snip*
I feel that this is the face that all neutered creepers should have... (from the John Smith TP)

Edit: added sad creeper
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

Thanks for this birthdaypresent - will try the new features as soon as i am sobber
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Lol, so creepers are the new wolves in terms of abuse? :D

If only you could make them wear a gimp suit so as to not despawn, they'd make fine household eunuch :P

The changes to smelt times also make nethercoal more useful, dare I say. Nice stuff.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:The changes to smelt times also make nethercoal more useful, dare I say. Nice stuff.
Yeah, there's secondary effects to coal, but really, if you have logs on hand, there's never really any good reason to burn coal, especially with the reduced cost of axes.

In addition to trees being an extremely abundant resource, you're consuming less resources chopping a log than mining coal (two thirds precisely), and if you're cutting birch (one of the things I always do is hunt for birch trees and create a manual tree farm out of them), the logs burn for longer.

I don't think people have adjusted to all the subtleties of the changes I've made there, but logs really are the furnace fuel of choice of the early to mid game, with it being much better to save your coal for torches.

Nethercoal gives you a slight edge in using coal, but really, at that point you're moving steadily away from the furnace with the Cauldron, Crucible, & Kiln and will likely need all the torches you can get to blanket large areas for your first mob trap or for base defense as you begin to spread out more.
jak Stone

Post by jak Stone »

using sherars on creepers best update ever lol a so going to try to get close enough to do it without dieing but overall a great update as always nice work FC
aka Nitepistol on the irc
http://www.youtube.com/user/nitepistol
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added the ability to harvest Creeper Oysters with shears. You're welcome.
And I was just about to go to bed too....

Welp, sleep is over rated. I have to try this out.

Thanks for the another great release FC. :)
xou816

Post by xou816 »

And I still had doubts about whether or not Creeper Oysters were what I thought they were... "He can't be serious", I thought. Lol.
BTW Iron Age: where creepers become the preys.

I foresee a lot of fun! :) Thank you, Flowerchild for yet another amazing release! (I think you've won everyone's heart with that one creepy feature)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

xou816 wrote:And I still had doubts about whether or not Creeper Oysters were what I thought they were... "He can't be serious", I thought. Lol.
You see man...I'm a trend setter. When I first included dung in BTW, everyone laughed. Now, a couple of years later, dung humor has made its appearance in commercial games with Don't Starve.

Give it a couple of years. Oyster humor will be all the rage ;)
Fret

Post by Fret »

Love the hardcore smelt. When charcoal could no longer be made with a furnace, I thought this would force me to create an autokil. However the nethercoal torches were sufficient. Hardcore smelt will surtenly motivate me to improve my kiln set up. Also always love extra shears functionality. I love balance updates like these, big thanks.
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

Oh my god, castrating maniacs are coming! You are evil FC!

Creepers are evil too, but they kill themselves in the process of being evil and... oooh i see what you did, you are not evil :)

Awesome release! Thanks!

(and i even found a signature)