New Release! (BTW V4.86)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.86)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.86 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Of Darkness to the mod. This consists of two things: first, areas that are in total darkness (note, this does not apply above ground where ambient light will always allow you to see), will appear absolutely pitch black regardless of your gamma settings. Secondly, I've added status effects for the player being in total darkness that will seriously impede your ability to function under such conditions. This was done to further emphasize light (and torches...and coal) as a resource (particularly in the early game), to discourage exploits involving jacking up brightness to effectively see in the dark, and to induce general pant-soiling goodness :)

-Changed axe recipes (for all axe types other than Battle) to only require 2 stone/ingots instead of 3. The recipe is the same as before, with the stone/ingot on the top of the shafts removed. This is to help balance the relative usefulness of the various tools, with an axe being nowhere near as valuable as a pick at pretty much any stage of the game.

-Removed Mojang's update pester from the title screen, given BTW is not yet available for 1.6, and given that it was frigging annoying :)

-Fixed problem with hardcore spawn setting the time of day to the next morning in LAN play (it shouldn't do that).

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Ulfengaard

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.86)

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Added Hardcore Of Darkness to the mod. This consists of two things: first, areas that are in total darkness (note, this does not apply above ground where ambient light will always allow you to see), will appear absolutely pitch black regardless of your gamma settings. Secondly, I've added status effects for the player being in total darkness that will seriously impede your ability to function under such conditions. This was done to further emphasize light (and torches...and coal) as a resource (particularly in the early game), to discourage exploits involving jacking up brightness to effectively see in the dark, and to induce general pant-soiling goodness :)
Epic. 'Nuff said. Thanks Panda and FC. :)
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I imagine I have reason to be scared now...
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

wow! It's umm...dark! Combined with lowest strata ...beautiful!

Another great feature that will bring death to many. *wiggles*
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
jak Stone

Post by jak Stone »

oh wow the hardcore darkness sound scary updating now great work as always FlowerChild
aka Nitepistol on the irc
http://www.youtube.com/user/nitepistol
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote: Another great feature that will bring death to many. *wiggles*
I feed upon your tears :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

AHHHH!
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!! This is AWESOME! Thanks FC!
Panda

Post by Panda »

If you dont mind im gonna claim to all my friends that this update is my doing and do my ho dance *dance dance*
Never say no to Panda.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Panda wrote:If you dont mind im gonna claim to all my friends that this update is my doing and do my ho dance *dance dance*
*cheers*
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I offer you the tears of my girlfriend.......and my own...cause im gonna cry over the lost coal now.
micrometalus

Post by micrometalus »

I just started BTW with last week (saw it on twitch), and I was already having enough trouble.

Can't wait to give this a try though.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Oh wow, this is going to be amazing!
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Awesome! Poked around a new cave and it is a perfect addition :)
Very disorienting, even for a few seconds.
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

My pants may not be soiled, but the horror motif the hard core of darkness adds is causing difficulty for me in pushing through the necessary early spelunking. Amazing (though simultaneously petrifying)!

8-(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Crazylemon64 wrote:My pants may not be soiled
:(
johnt

Post by johnt »

I just installed a multiplayer server for about a dozen BTW newbies, and skimming through the chat from when I was gone was fairly amusing, as they starve to death, discover hostile wolves, that coordinates don't work, etc. I almost don't have to play to get my enjoyment out of it.

People giving themselves a pat on the back for surviving long enough to make a furnace was probably the most satisfying part.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Man, I was all ready to mock a dude with a joke along the lines of "the woods are lovely. Dark and deep" but then I tricked ExpHp into getting a screenshot of a forest at night and getting eaten by a zombie since I cannot get BTW to run on this Nook.

You can totally see the tall grass a meter in front of your face! I feel ripped off! Cannot wait to get home Monday and get dug in on this.
Better is the enemy of Good
Fret

Post by Fret »

Well that is very dark indeed.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Im away from my pc for a day, would anyone care to show some pics and tell about how its impacted gameplay? :3
Never say no to Panda.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Panda wrote:Im away from my pc for a day, would anyone care to show some pics and tell about how its impacted gameplay? :3
Here ya go.
Spoiler
Show
If I started fresh things would probly be more terrifying, but I'v already set up my nether network so things are working out decently, otherwise I'm annoyed at the fact my girlfriend IS terrified and I'm completely out of coal constantly due to the excessive spelunking she does.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

TiLT

Post by TiLT »

icynewyear wrote:
Super Cool! Love your patch highlights
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

wow, time and time again, you show me that i was right to choose BTW as my mod of choice for my dedicated MC world which i will probably still be playing on and off for many years to come. another fantastic addition mate :) (also many many thanks for the many past updates as well, as once again iv been absent for quite a few releases as iv been so busy lately, but nothing will be able to keep me from continiously crawling back to BTW :p )

one quick question tho as i wont really have time to play for another couple of days. iv noticed that i personaly only ever touch the brightness setting when entering the nether (otherwise i always play on moody) and that was the first thing i thought of when i saw the change log. so my question is simply, does this effect the nether and the end as well? if it does, shit just got real! :p imagine your first spawn in the end.......nothing but darkness and those evil ender eyes floating all over the place! D: scary indeed!
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Of Darkness to the mod.
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."